It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Cuts Starting NOV 1 Will Leave 47 Million Families Hungrier

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I bet you are much more caring and sympathetic than the posters that are sorta bashing you.

I get bashed pretty frequently, so no big surprise there *wink face because the new smileys are funky*

Nothing Grinds my gears more than seeing the person in front of me buying Brand Name Items with a Bridge card and on top of that seeing the cart full or nutritionally inferior food choices.

I end up in line behind these people thinking...

"It must be nice to be able to afford ice cream!"

And, then some of the time, they whip out their iPhone and I see them tap tap tap on the screen with their 40 dollar acrylic nails.

THAT is when my gears really start to grind.
edit on 2-11-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

missed_gear
Seriously, you must know how bad the fraud is to date.

I get behind illegals, at the grocery store. They pull out cards, last person three!.
If you need the food, that is one thing, I would support a family if necessary; have.

How do I know they are illegal? stfu.

Oops...oh, there is thing called a "job"...go get one.

mg

What?

You mean a job to pay bills, or a job to eat.

Because with a mininum wage job you can't do both.

Illigals should'nt be here anyway.

By the way, whats a job again? They are getting more scarce.

I'm glad i'm working but I know alot of people that are not.

Anybody ever think that people won't buy as much food, so production at the food plants slows down, so they lay off more workers, so more people need assistance...

Less products being sold means fewer jobs.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

daryllyn

Its not like they are cutting it in half or anything. The cuts are actually a lot less per family than I had imagined.

They can make up for the loss by shopping smart, which is something they should be doing anyway.

Link

edit on 2-11-2013 by daryllyn because: linkage

No offense, it is a common problem with Americans. Most go to church on Sunday and give that amount to help feed the starving i Africa or wherever but never realize the person in the seat behind them is so in distress because they don't know how to feed their family.

It is so easy to give to help those on the other side of the world but this is the united states and they should be able to take care of themselves. It is amazing but that is how most Americans think. Even the most godly, it is not their fault, we are raised this way, it permeates our society.

Look at some of the posts, it is not hard to see. I have seen it my whole life and it is the one thing that really burdens me sometimes about us. It really breaks my heart. The kids, they don't understand pride, they don't understand politics, they have no concept of minimum wage. They don't understand why they are hungry and can only eat at school. Why they only have mac n cheese or beans and rice, it drives me crazy.

I am raising a granddaughter and I know how it feels i know so many good people who needs this help.

YOU TELL ME how will they make 150 make it for a month for family of four, what do they give up, utilities, house payment, car insurance. So many suffer, and I mean suffer, in silence, they have swallowed every ounce of pride they had to ask the government for help. They seem to take all that you are, know everything about your life, it is humbling to go through the process and then to be told hey just make it with this you will be OK.

And to hear people say they can make it up somewhere, it just takes your spirit away. I know people who are hungry and there is hardly anything I can do. I have more than most but am raising a granddaughter and am right there with the rest. You pay your bills that must be paid and then there is no more for food and things like dentist. My granddaughter has the braces she needs but I have four broken teeth in my mouth and the wife needs work too.

She has no insurance yet and the free help in rural America is not so good. We know the battle these people are fighting to survive and they are good hard working god fearing people who don't want hand outs. You go and tell that family of four how to Make it with 100 to 150 for whole month.

They will, the parents will eat less and less, until they don't eat unless they make a weekly trip to the soup kitchen. They don't have the gas to do this now so they wait until Friday cus there is no soup kitchen on the weekends. Half the month gone now and the kids only eat at school, cus that 150 in stamps are gone now. The parents think of maybe taking a night job, like there is any in rural America, but could they leave the kids alone. There is no money for babysitter.

This plays out everywhere across America. I feel sorry for people around the world but I get sick to my stomach when I see bill Gates on sixty minutes helping Africans. Just another example of how we put blinders on when it comes to seeing the plight of our neighbors.

Sorry folks we are just wrong all of us. Our attitudes are wrong. How we look at people who need help are wrong. How we judge people are wrong, I am guilty as we all are.

Will we ever live in a society not ruled by money, I wonder.

The Bot

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Did someone say "Food Stamp Cats Starting NOV 1 Will Leave 47 Million Kitties Hungrier"

Oh, I see I misread the thread title. Nevermind...
edit on 2-11-2013 by HoboHumpinSloboBabe because: iz don't noes

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
All the fs users I know just the programme simply to subsidize their other lifestyle. Wanna get an X-Box or hair braids? No probs because govt will buy you lots and lots of overpriced tiny portions of junk food, or some nice steak or lobster.

I'm vegetarian. It's more expensive to eat, much moreso because of inefficient subsidized meat farming.

Plus, compare BMI between recipients and against non receipents, my guess is most don't need more fs, they need a diet and exercise.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

FlyingFox
All the fs users I know just use the programme simply to subsidize their other lifestyle. Wanna get an X-Box or hair braids? No probs because govt will buy you lots and lots of overpriced tiny portions of junk food, or some nice steak or lobster.

I'm vegetarian. It's more expensive to eat, much moreso because of inefficient subsidized meat farming.

Plus, compare BMI between recipients and against non receipents, my guess is most don't need more fs, they need a diet and exercise.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Willtell
reply to post by daryllyn

Thanks, that’s good to know though I wonder what happens to the children whose mothers aren’t frugal and smart like you.

They learn how to be or go hungry…

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

I want to say, I really appreciate your points on this. You're pretty well dead on as I see it, as well.

I know I confuse some people and actually upset others (to go by U2U's before) in my attitude on this. I'm as Conservative as one can be on most things, but not on Food assistance. Whether that be SNAP, WIC or Commodities. It's food. Whether it's not 100% necessary by every last person of the 40-50 million getting them from month to month, it's still food.

So many folks seem to confuse Food Stamps with TANF, Unemployment Benefits, and other programs since they all come on the same plastic card from the state, many times. Also, they divide, automatically, between food and cash...TANF and SNAP, for instance, at the register ..which is where many see a food stamp person getting a cash item they can't buy with SNAP, and assume they actually are. Different programs, same card. Automatic segregation of spending during the same purchase.

I imagine you're aware of this, after reading your message, but I mention some there for so many who don't seem to be.

Cutting food is barbaric in the economy we're currently in with unemployment running at horrendous levels in some places and bad levels everywhere.

I'm Conservative but I'm no Republican. They party left me and millions like me choking on dust and wondering here their hearts and humanity went. They used to have some...I think...somewhere in there. They sure don't anymore.

Get people off Food Stamps by fixing the economy ...but even the Republicans have seemingly given up on that idea.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Get people off Food Stamps by fixing the economy ...but even the Republicans have seemingly given up on that idea.

The Republicans HAD to give up on that idea. They HATED that 'choice' was ever any part of the equation. The only way Food Stamps could have ever been fair was by identifying what the most basic nutritional requirements were ... and setting aside a depot to provide just exactly what met that established definition.

Allowing people to shop at Wally World and Krogers ruined the fairness of the program by trying to create equality out of inequality.

Food Stamps were a reality in the boom economy Clinton inherited ... and I know ... because I qualified for Food Stamps back then and was considered odd because my pride wouldn't allow me to put my hand out.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

what you are talking about is assistance to working families who do not qualify for full food stamp benefits.

I applied for food stamps after I was hurt and unable to work, had both my kids living at home and was denied because I owned my own home... They told me I had to sell my house and use the equity to survive if I couldn't feed my family...

I wondered what we were supposed to do when we were homeless and I was disabled. Anyway, that was then.

Years later I wanted to work again instead of being on disability and had to retrain in order to do that. Kids gone at this time, just me... but in order to make everything work I needed food stamps while I was retraining.. I actually got food stamps then... 200 a month in food stamps for 1 person.

I actually cried the first time I went to the store. For the first time in years I could buy meat, vegetables, fresh fruits... I had forgotten what it was like to be able to purchase those things, and what they tasted like... it was like being in heaven.

But, with no tax being on the food that money stretches farther... and with my shopping habits being what they are after years and years of not having grocery money, Aldi's, sales and the like... that 200 was too much... I could eat well and didn't spend all that money every month.. literally every month I had extra food stamps, which all they do is carry over...

So, a cut on the program is not that big of a deal, or wont be, for people who get the full amount of food stamps. You cant spend all that money if you are frugal and buy healthy foods... in order to spend the full amount you have to buy foods that you dont actually need... and/or make poor purchase decisions.

If I was to have gotten 11 dollars less a month, it would not have effected me in the least...

For people who dont get the full amount of food stamps, they wont see less than they are already getting I dont think
edit on 3-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Aside from noting that it's happened to be Republicans leading the full charge against this, full steam ahead and for a good long time now? I think this one transcends politics. (Just as Repubs COULD have done MUCH more to stop the ACA in 2009..... Dems COULD have stopped this, and didn't.)

I know too many people who have a decent amount of food each month right now, because of these...and pretty well, only due to these.

This has hurt real people. Real children. It's a serious issue and it's screwed them to the wall going into Christmas and Thanksgiving. The absolute and most painful time for what is really a cold blooded thing to do at any time. SNAP is one of the lowest cost programs across the entire Federal level for direct assistance to a household, and yet they just ...cannot...stop....attacking...it.

What the Republicans did to bury Dr. Ron Paul caused me to lose respect for the party over all and leave it. What they've done here has developed a hatred for the GOP that will likely never fade. I flat out know too many people that put human faces to the pain they've inflicted this time. Cruelty. Outright.
edit on 3-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: Added spacing and another line

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Snarl

This has hurt real people. Real children. out know too many people that put human faces to the pain they've inflicted this time. Cruelty. Outright.

I can think of nothing worse than forcing people into hunger. If TPTB wanted it done right, they've certainly got the brainpower to have accomplished it. All they've managed to do is cause further division of We The People ... and that must've been the plan all along.

edit on 3112013 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Going hungry? really? let see, here in my neck of the wood I call it forced dieting because let faced most of the food stamp and welfare people in my neck of the wood are over weight. How about helping them lost some of that weight so they can move enough to get a job, because the only move they do is to get some more food and get their nail and hair fixed.

Yes I am barbaric but guess what I am no blind and I see the waste and abuse that goes on in my so call welfare state and welfare town.

And after all I am paying with my taxes for all that waste.

Welfare has become a way of life for last few generations
edit on 3-11-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

What choice do children have?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Yup that isn't much...that is, I happen to know a very accurate graph.
So it isn't much and maybe will incite some of the people to get off their ass and get a job. Sorry but I see more people who are just plain lazy a**holes using the system and capable of doing work fully and just don't want to work (Succubi) And they I want to slap those people around cause when someone really needs it they are put in the same group as the lousy layabouts strumpets that are using the bloody system. There is a lot more people that just abuse the # out of it then the really needy, but doesn't matter when you're disgraced by having to use it everyone lumps the truly needy with those who are abusing the system. It's okay, though, most of those will take their lazy a**** to work now because they won't be able to stuff their fat faces as much as they want to because of the cuts.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Willtell

Thanks, that’s good to know though I wonder what happens to the children whose mothers aren’t frugal and smart like you.

You mean the drug users and the ones who probably don't feed their kids anyway? Because they sell the food stamps for their own selfish needs? They'll just have less to sell...that's all.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

19KTankCommander
reply to post by Willtell

To me this is a double edge sword.

I don't think we would of need to cut the food stamp (SNAP) program if there were not so many free loaders (California Surfer comes to mind) misusing the system.

The SNAP program has its merits, but many fall downs as well, Like why are we using SNAP money to fund the National School Lunch program that many areas are dropping because of cost.

Why are we not looking at all those that come to this country get on Welfare, purchase goods and ship them back to were they originally came from (60 Minutes did a report on this in NY)

When my wife was working for the Dollar Tree, she seen people pull up in a brand new Escalade, get out dressed in their high end designer cloths, talking on their expensive phones, come in and buy items at the dollar tree and use a SNAP card, this just don't seem right at all, I think they can afford not to have it. like Maybe cut back on the luxury items

I understand Welfare, I grew up on it in the 60" & 70's, Family of 5 and no father, my mother would go to work but still need help. we never had that kind of stuff, but she managed.

What the Welfare program was is not the same as it is today, today its just a free hand out for everyone and that is the problem, those that really need the help are the ones that are getting hurt, those that are just free loaders are hurting the system.

I have seen too many people abuse the system, instead of complain about it lets do something about it, like I have done a few times. If you see or know of someone that is abusing the system use the link below.

www.fns.usda.gov...

Lets protect those that really need it and get those off of it that are just freeloaders

You might as well fart in the wind...sooo many times I have and others have made reports they simply don't investigate. This is true just go make a report yourself and see.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

You have not idea, of how many children in my neck of the woods are on medical care on the state and tax payer because they are born from mothers that are drug users.

In schools they are tagged crack babies, behind close doors.

Sad, horrible but the reality of a system that has gone blind to the people that they are supposed to help, this children perform less than healthier children in schools, left to become the same way their mothers are welfare recipients for life.

And the underground business of government cards for money is big business in my area.

Yes you can sell anything for cash including your government services, that are pay by productive tax payers.

I wonder where some people here get the idea that food stamps and all those other welfare programs are going to just to feed the children, they go mostly to waste and abuse by the majority of the life time recipients

Life in the welfare states is brutal and nobody cares, because the government as long as they keep throwing money to it they can claim that they do enough, for the littler children.

The bastards.

Welfare abuse with EBT card allows drug dealer to get cash for bail

www.examiner.com...

EBT fraud and abuse: Looking past your state

watchdog.org...

EBT Abuse: The Cash-for-Drunkards Program

www.nationalreview.com...

Whomever came out with the new system of cards for the welfare program should be arrested for fraud, because it has created the biggest fraud and abuse in the history of the welfare system in the nation and in the shortest time.

The reason they came out with this incredible idea was for those behind the cards to make money out of the government programs and tax payers.

EBT has become the preferred business of drug dealers in the nation, thanks to the government.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Or how many Hawaiian Vacations we could enjoy...

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Snarl

I can think of nothing worse than forcing people into hunger. If TPTB wanted it done right, they've certainly got the brainpower to have accomplished it. All they've managed to do is cause further division of We The People ... and that must've been the plan all along.

You wouldn't need reform of the plans even, just an investigative arm of it that would weed out those milking the system illegally. Even that won't happen.

Both parties wont touch ANY of the entitlement programs with meaningful reform. Either way you go, it's an Albatross to hang on both parties. One they can't ignore.

Cut Welfare = Evil Bad Republicans starving Grannies and Babies. I'm not voting for them.
Cut Welfare= Stupid Democrats not standing up the the little guy. I'm not voting for them.

Cut Social Sec and Medicare= Evil Repubs want to kill my Grandpa. I'm not voting for them.
Cut Social Sec and Medicare= Democrats really don't care about the OLD, they are just like the Republicans. I'm not voting for them.

Reforming/Cutting/Trimming ANY of these programs makes you lose votes....Votes to Politicians are like Blood to Vampires.

A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

1 From bondage to spiritual faith;
2 From spiritual faith to great courage;
3 From courage to liberty;
4 From liberty to abundance;
5 From abundance to complacency;
6 From complacency to apathy;
7 From apathy to dependence;
8 From dependence back into bondage.

I'd say we are near the end of Step 7..........

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join