It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amid Syria’s civil war, a 40-foot statue of Jesus rises,“I Have Come to Save the World,”

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com... 9f0eabe-43bd-11e3-b028-de922d7a3f47_story.html

Russians have been a driving force behind the project

Jesus stands, arms outstretched, on the Cherubim mountain, overlooking a route pilgrims took from Constantinople to Jerusalem in ancient times. The statue is 12.3 meters (40 feet) tall and stands on a base that brings its height to 32 meters (105 feet), organizers of the project estimate.

I have been interested in the Russian take on religious persecution in the M.E.

Why them?
Why now?

Even cozing up to Israel.

Opportunistic or sincere, I can't make up my mind.

The project, called “I Have Come to Save the World,” is run by the London-based St. Paul and St. George Foundation, which Al-Ghadban directs. It was previously named the Gavrilov Foundation, after a Russian businessman, Yuri Gavrilov.

Documents filed with Britain’s Charity Commission describe it as supporting “deserving projects in the field of science and animal welfare” in England and Russia, but the commission’s accounts show it spent less than 250 pounds ($400) in the last four years.

Al-Ghadban said most of the financing came from private donors, but did not supply further details.

Russians have been a driving force behind the project — not surprising given that the Kremlin is embattled Assad’s chief ally, and the Orthodox churches in Russia and Syria have close ties. Al-Ghadban, who spoke to The Associated Press from Moscow, is Syrian-Russian and lives in both countries.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I thought it wasn't good to make images and statues of things that are supposedly in heaven though. It seems that I read that somewhere in the bible. S&F. I suppose some Muslim group will blow it up. God works in strange ways

edit on 2-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Russia is no longer discouraging religious expression, ie Christianity.

We have an exchange student from Russia living with a close relative and she goes to a contemporary style church and openly said so in her application.

Even Putin recently said "God bless you" or something like that, I was shocked.

As the US discriminates against Christians and tries to suppress Christianity by calling Christians terrorists, etc., Russia now sees the benefit to society of having a set of basic moral rules that are unchangeable, ie the 10 commandments. The actual new testament promotes non violence regardless of how the US Christians haters say otherwise, they obviously haven't read the new testament cover to cover. The new testament also commands Christians to pay their taxes and to respect the government, which the Russians have found to be beneficial to society. The new testament commands Christians to take care of the helpless and homeless, which the US is forbidding by many areas of the US forbidding Christian groups from feeding the homeless.

This statement is NOT a slam on other religions or homosexuals or pedophiles or anyone else. It is simply my observation of what I see happening.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
World leaders should unite to end anti-Christian persecution, Vladimir Putin says

Vladimir Putin has urged the world’s political leaders to stop the violent persecutions against Christians that have erupted in many Middle Eastern countries.
www.pravoslavie.ru...
Speaking at a meeting with Orthodox Christian leaders in Moscow last week, the Russian President said he noted “with alarm” that “in many of the world’s regions, especially in the Middle East and in North Africa inter-confessional tensions are mounting, and the rights of religious minorities are infringed, including Christians and Orthodox Christians.”

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

OH well thank you very much, it is good to hear from someone who has personal experiences, that is very interesting.

edit on 103030p://bSaturday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

rickymouse
I thought it wasn't good to make images and statues of things that are supposedly in heaven though. It seems that I read that somewhere in the bible. S&F. I suppose some Muslim group will blow it up. God works in strange ways

That depends, I wear a crucifix always.

I never had a problem with that.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

rickymouse

What you are referring to are old testament "rules", in the new testament which supersedes the old, it is clearly stated that Christians are not to worship idols, that doesn't rule out making a commemorative statue as long as one doesn't worship the statue itself.
You are correct Christian haters will probably blow it up. Sad, but probably true. Christian haters abound in the world today.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
A Global Slaughter of Christians, but America’s Churches Stay Silent
by Kirsten Powers Sep 27, 2013 5:45 AM EDT
Christians are being singled out and massacred from Pakistan to Syria to the Nairobi shopping mall. Kirsten Powers on the deafening silence from U.S. pews and pulpits.

Three reasons the American church is ignoring Christian persecution - See more at: jonathanmerritt.religionnews.com...

“Christians in the Middle East and Africa are being slaughtered, tortured, raped, kidnapped, beheaded, and forced to flee the birthplace of Christianity,” she wrote. “One would think the horror might be consuming the pulpits and pews of American churches. Not so. The silence has been nearly deafening.” - See more at: jonathanmerritt.religionnews.com...

The media

And yet, I do think Christian persecution is under-reported by the media in general. Paul Marshall of the Hudson Institute says that persecution, if you include discrimination, is affecting approximately 600 to 700 million Christians globally. According to a 2011 Pew Forum study, Christianity is the most persecuted religion in the world with followers of the faith being actively harassed in 130 countries.

If a population of half a billion people are so blatantly oppressed, it’s difficult to understand why it isn’t making much news? The answer, in my opinion, is the location where much of the persecution occurs: the Middle East. Many journalists I speak with seem timid to delve too deeply into the topic or to report on it too often for fear of being perceived as Islamaphobes or outright racists.

The Recession

Really?

The Culture Wars
In the Middle East, not America, Christians are actually persecuted - See more at: jonathanmerritt.religionnews.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Despite the lure of temptation to get into a debate over Christians constantly bemoaning a victim mentality of persecution since the very inception of Christianity over 2000 years ago, even after they took over Rome, even after they took over all of Europe, and the New World too, and basically own and control most of the nuclear weapons on the planet and rank as the most populous and observed theological mythology on the planet, they're STILL being persecuted ... I'm not getting into that debate.

I'm going to comment on this statue of the biblical figure Jesus, as is described in the OP.

I don't see the erection of this statue ending well.
While the emplacement might be well meaning, it could very well be considered an affront and insult to Islamic peoples in consideration that it overlooks a route taken by Christian Crusaders during the Crusades, on their way from Constantinople to Jerusalem, and, it's also a graven image, or what Islam considers or equates to an idol, even though most Christians wouldn't consider it so.

I suspect some radical Islamic fundamentalists will demonstrate their dedication to their understanding or interpretation of their version of their faith in the destruction of this statue.

edit on 11/2/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

rickymouse

" I suppose some Muslim group will blow it up. "2013 by rickymouse

Well if they do, ...let's hope they blow themselves up with it !
edit on 2-11-2013 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

I suspect some radical Islamic fundamentalists will demonstrate their dedication to their understanding or interpretation of their version of their faith in the destruction of this statue.

That's the first thing I thought of when I learned of this story especially in light of the other thread regarding Explosions at a Syrian base a few days ago.

Yet more fuel for the fire, additional flammable elements for the tinderbox, pick your metaphor, etc.

I actually posted this story to that thread before noticing the OP's thread on this story was posted 20 minutes prior.

On a side note - It is *impossible* to keep up here...

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

A crucifix isn't an image from heaven though. It is a sign of something used on earth. An image of Jesus would be an image of something in heaven. I am sure the cross didn't ascend with him other than to raise him up to be crucified..

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

rickymouse

Oh...it'll be a bad guy magnet that's for sure. I wonder how big the clear zone around it is.

It will definitely thin the ranks of Islamic extremists.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Mohammed tried to teach people to get along and be friends creating a synergetic relationship. Jesus tried to tell others to get along and not judge others, helping the needy if they really needed it.

It just doesn't sound like what we have nowadays.

I think the reason for them not wanting images and statues of gods in the past is because it created a lot of turmoil amongst the people. Even then, people thought their version of god was the only right one. They fought over gods continually. some offensively and some defensively. I guess many people haven't changed in two thousand years, the conflict is still on. Why can't people take the good that Jesus and Mohammad preached and focus on that?

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Caesar put his face on a coin...arriving soon after;

"His only begotten Son" evicted the money-changers from the temple and spoke of serving only one master...

One or the other, not both. That is the beast of numbers.

Render what we sow as we entitle economics to be our beast of burden.

Impossible to not feed the beast and thus survive unmolested...hands tied with a stamped forehead at birth.

Only the absolute best things in life can be free for someone raised as a Christian, Muslim, Jew?

I wonder amazed what motivated prior civilizations to build such grand structures before, I doubt they were enticed with a carrot?

Maybe they were but the carrot must have been more significant to supporting life back then.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

Despite the lure of temptation to get into a debate over Christians constantly bemoaning a victim mentality of persecution since the very inception of Christianity over 2000 years ago, even after they took over Rome, even after they took over all of Europe, and the New World too, and basically own and control most of the nuclear weapons on the planet and rank as the most populous and observed theological mythology on the planet, they're STILL being persecuted ... I'm not getting into that debate.

I'm going to comment on this statue of the biblical figure Jesus, as is described in the OP.

I don't see the erection of this statue ending well.
While the emplacement might be well meaning, it could very well be considered an affront and insult to Islamic peoples in consideration that it overlooks a route taken by Christian Crusaders during the Crusades, on their way from Constantinople to Jerusalem, and, it's also a graven image, or what Islam considers or equates to an idol, even though most Christians wouldn't consider it so.

edit on 11/2/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

ha ha,

I understand what you are getting at however undoubtedly Christians have been persecuted, are being persecuted, and done plenty of persecuting, seems we take turns persecuting each other.

This topic is not about what western Christians consider persecution..those with the nukes, although I don't know of any nuclear silos at any churches,
ha ha

We shouldn't confuse the average Christian with the governments.

Regarding the fact it would, could, will be perceived as an idol among the Muslims population, well, that it could, but the Christians have every-right, OH WAIT..... obviously they don't, to express themselves.

Let's put cultural differences aside and just focus on the reality of the Christians suffering under Islamic rule, it is a real problem, they are real people, they are not crusaders of old, they are average individuals born into a intolerant society,

It may be them today, but it could be you tomorrow.

Where is the compassion?

Should we be continually held accountable for the sins of the fathers?
edit on 013030p://bSaturday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

rickymouse

A crucifix isn't an image from heaven though. It is a sign of something used on earth. An image of Jesus would be an image of something in heaven. I am sure the cross didn't ascend with him other than to raise him up to be crucified..

hey ricky,

I know.

And there are some christian sects today that still frown on the fact I wear a cross,

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

rickymouse

OH I just got it, I am a little slow,

So if it gets blown up are you saying it was an act of god?

deep

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

A lot to think about.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Russia endorsing this is not too surprising. It could be a symbol of peace over religion. When leaders make statements by allowing freedom of expression they also send a message to society to tolerate (live and let live). If the intention is to live the word of Jesus then they are saying let's all get along. It depends on how it is interpreted, and the way people stand behind what the message was rather than the denomination itself.

What will be really mind blowing is when they erect a statue of Jesus, Muhammad, and Buddha all holding hands.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join