It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is this what modern science really is ? religion like believe system ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think the biggest dilemma in today's science is the dogmatic explanation of facts

the double slit experiment

www.youtube.com...

all he is saying about the observation must be right, as it is what we are observing, and this is the scientific proof.

(1)
0:47 Einstein and his Photoelectric Effect

EM wave looked like a particle, because it has momentum and kicks out electrons from a metal. Act like a particle, so... IT MUST BE A PARTICLE
"He ( Einstein ) said, light is a particle"
and his ( Einstein's ) theory supported that

( I wonder how scientist would not support his own theory and have looked for any proof of that theory )

BTW: he knows how to manipulate the audience, his tone change, body language...

(2)
1:30

"They, 'very claver, have found a way' how to fire one photon at a time and.... "
(1:38) "... of course one photon ISN'T enough to measure... especially those days... but they fired a thousands... "
"... detector on the slits... bla bla "

remember what he said before? one photon is not enough to measure ?
how it comes those detectors work ?

he also mixes up which way the photon goes through as it is detected on the slit...

anyway, I don't actually want to talk about the details on double slit experiment... lets continue on what he is saying about "this whole thing"

(4:00) he starts to introduce Erwin Rudolf Josef Alexander Schrödinger to us,
how brilliant he was and so on...

(5:00) now, photon is not a particle, it is a probability, where did the wave ended up ???

"...probability acts like a wave..."

I say
moves like a wave, acts like a wave... must be a wav... sorry... probability !
( come on, that is just mathematic calculations )

".. when he ( Schroedinger ) did it with the math, OF COURSE it worked, and he had his patterns... " and theory

STOP !!!
what about the slits with detectors and no patterns ???
Where is the explanation for this in Schroedinge's theory ??

He continues...
Quantum Theory is great, blah blah blah to the end

"Quantum physics are the most successful brunches of physics EVER, and it still doesn't make any sense... "
haha, he is right on this for sure

he is not explaining the experiment at all, but uses it as proof for QT

than he shows some quotes from people who have helped develop the QT like Eugene Wigner and Max Plank ( that could be easily interpret in a different way )

...I don't even talk about how he is playing the audience with his voice and other tricks... slowing down at the tight place, making pause, simply manipulating the audience...

I'm at 8:00 btw

this is the best... 8:24...
without any real proof ( I assume the mathematics are right, or can be DONE right if needed ) he tells us the SUMMARIES of that..

here is something I agree with, "...when you write papers and get funded..."
sure, I will write the science I'm paid for

looks like he doesn't know what to say on the end

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Is this your video?

and this,

edit on 1-11-2013 by smurfy because: Links.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by KrzYma

I have seen another explanation of the same thing on an episode of bbc's horizon, when talking about particle physics and quantum theories. It was pretty much the same explanation. A photon behaves differently depending on whether it is actually being observed. A wave if observed and a particle if not observed. The only difference being us as observers.
And these were the top particle physicists/theorists talking about it.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

smurfy
Is this your video?

No. It has nothing to do with evolution or creationism.
edit on 201311America/Chicago11pm11pmFri, 01 Nov 2013 18:06:54 -05001113 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

OneManArmy

smurfy
Is this your video?

edit on 201311America/Chicago11pm11pmFri, 01 Nov 2013 18:06:54 -05001113 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

Well, I'm not so sure, that's why I put in both videos. In fairness for the OP and other posters they did not both appear at the same time, it took a moment or so to add the second URL.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Any scientist worth their salt understands that -nothing- in science is taken on faith.

So no, science is not a religion. It is a tool of understanding based on exploration, experimentation, and explanation.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

smurfy

OneManArmy

smurfy
Is this your video?

Well, I'm not so sure, that's why I put in both videos. In fairness for the OP and other posters they did not both appear at the same time, it took a moment or so to add the second URL.

the second video is the correct video.

But in answer to the question posed by the OP...

To some people yes science has become a sort of faith.
And to some people the Bible is the literal word of God.

edit on 201311America/Chicago11pm11pmFri, 01 Nov 2013 18:36:36 -05001113 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
People who don't "do" science, on both sides of any particular controversy like to play semantics games re: "science" and "belief," but the truth is - "science" is simply a method of observation, hypothesis, testing, analysis, and further hypothesis towards a greater understanding of a particular thing.

That's it.

Anyone who tells you that "science is a belief system" has no understanding of the scientific method, and no functional grasp of language either.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
How does the behavior of a photon change between particle and wave? How do these states behave differently?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

OneManArmy
reply to post by KrzYma

I have seen another explanation of the same thing on an episode of bbc's horizon, when talking about particle physics and quantum theories. It was pretty much the same explanation. A photon behaves differently depending on whether it is actually being observed. A wave if observed and a particle if not observed. The only difference being us as observers.
And these were the top particle physicists/theorists talking about it.

there is a loots of scientific explanations that doesn't make a sense if you think about it

I do believe in science, and even if this sounds hypocrite as believe itself is actually what I would like to keep out of science. I think observation, better said, the best possible description of an observation deserves some thoughts, understanding why we see what wee see.
Therefore good understanding of physical events like photon emission, photo-electrical effect, magnetism, EM interaction and many many more should lied to technology that uses this effects and can change them.
We use the physical effects we know about, sure, we use them for a lot but, we know only how they behave, so we can use its behaviour to do thinks for us.

Scientists develop theories, modifies them, develop new theories... for what ???
basic questions are never answered.

here some basic questions of mine

why should EM wave propagate at all?
what is PLUS charge what is MINUS charge, and I know that is just our definition, but what are they really?
what is distance ? and I don't mean the variables we set

instead, all hear and get punched into my face is some relativistic theory, quantum theory, wave theory... is strings theory the wave theory? I don't remember... something with something we will never see or measure, not to mention this theory is based on it... WTF??

look, double stilt experiment is the best example of what we get educated totally wrong.
think about this insane mater is a wave statement, and as justification the electrons proton double slit experiment.

my first question, what happens if they isolate them ? they must, otherwise they could not accelerate them to shoot through the slits, right ?
Don't they became ions with a charge in that process ? sure, so what acts on that experiment, matter or potential field ?
Have ever anyone tried to use the powder cannon acceleration form for this experiment?

Oh, yea... they did this experiment with "big molecules" as I have heard once in some scientific documentary... they ionize them in the first place ( yes, the have said molecules )

there is a lot BS going on

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
How does the behavior of a photon change between particle and wave? How do these states behave differently?

It is explained in the video.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

I'm on my phone right now, thanks. So is anyone willing to give me an actual answer?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

smurfy

OneManArmy

smurfy
Is this your video?

yes, thank you !

just in case, I don't say you will, if you think I'm in the creationist folder, NO, I'm not
there is an explanation for all !

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

I'm on my phone right now, thanks. So is anyone willing to give me an actual answer?

ok I will have a go.

When a photon is behaving like a wave the photon receiver receives a hit in multiple places which suggests that the photon isnt a single particle.
When it isnt being observed the photon will only be detected by the receiver as a single point, ie a particle.
The deduction is that the very process of observation changes the apparent properties of a photon.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

good question !!

also, how exactly an EM wave is reflected ??

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Ah! Thank you. And of what importance is the photon in our physical reality? What is its place?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

KrzYma

Oh, yea... they did this experiment with "big molecules" as I have heard once in some scientific documentary... they ionize them in the first place ( yes, the have said molecules )

there is a lot BS going on

When it comes to theoretical science I agree 100%.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Ah! Thank you. And of what importance is the photon in our physical reality? What is its place?

It is what light is made of.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

MichaelPMaccabee
Any scientist worth their salt understands that -nothing- in science is taken on faith.

So no, science is not a religion. It is a tool of understanding based on exploration, experimentation, and explanation.

sure? if I say Einstein was wrong, QT is BS, wouldn't they crucify me ?
that's what I'm thinking...

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
is this what modern science really is ? religion like believe system ?

Answer is YES!!

edit on 1-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: Retracted reply and replaced with short reply

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join