It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Cleric Forbids Muslims From Traveling to Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Saudi Cleric Forbids Muslims From Traveling to Mars

A SAUDI sheikh has issued a fatwa against anyone wanting to travel to Mars. A member Saudi Arabia’s board of religious scholars Sheikh Ali al Hemki has criticized the Mars One project which is attempting to organize a commercial mission to the red planet and has drawn expressions of interest from more than 200 thousand people worldwide. The Ah Hayat newspaper quotes him as saying the mission does not conform to “responsible Muslim” practices. The Mars One project aims to create the first human settlement on the Solar System’s second-smallest planet. While 477 Saudi citizens have applied for the mission, only six have so far been accepted….

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

LOL....only Jews on Mars?!? Not going. lol

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

needs of survival in such an environment would pretty much put an end to much fundamentalist nonsense, particularly of the pseudo-scientific sort. those whose fanaticism endangers the lives of others would pretty soon find themselves shoved out the airlock, Heinlein style.

on the other hand none of these sheiks, imams, et.al. will be going and therefore don't want anyone else going where they can't be controlled good luck emitting a fatwa against someone at mars colony 1 anyone brainless enough to try and carry it out would promptly find themselves gasping for oxygen.

no fundies/fanatics of any kind leaving earths gravity well is fine by me.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I bet they send one....but better check his vest and carry on luggage first

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Only a nut would want to go to mars anyway. I would never go. I wouldn't mind going wander around Finland and hit the coffee shops or go to visit different cultures around the world and test their food but come on...Mars....there isn't a single bar or restaurant up there. What happens when someone farts in the space ship on the way there.

I never realized that these Saudi elders were so smart.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Kinda strange though. As Mars looks incredibly similar to Saudi Arabia (dirt as far as the eye can see) I would think many Saudi's would make fine pioneers on that planet. No offense to the good folks of the Kingdom of course

join