It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: Canadian War Crimes Indictment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Apologies for the sensationalist and misleading headline but for sure it will be spun this way on certain sites.

From the www.rabble.ca..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Toronto Star's Thomas Walkom Should Canada indict George W Bush for war crimes when he visits Canada

It's an interesting question. On the face of it, Bush seems a perfect candidate for prosecution under Canada's Crimes against Humanity and War Crimes Act.

The Toronto Star is a lefter wing publication (like the Guardian to the Brits) so editorially this is its' bent. The columnist was answering his own rhetoric, and although this makes for an interesting intellectual exercise it in no way speaks for Canadians.

Oddly enough, Canada may be one of the few places where someone like Bush could be brought to justice. Impeachment in the U.S. is most unlikely. And, at Bush's insistence, the new international criminal court has no jurisdiction over any American.

And therein lies a perfect justification for America to refuse to bind themselves to the judgement of a stacked jury.

I ain't no Bush fan, just a mouse sleeping with an elephant. Any attempt at such charges would be immediately squashed We ain't gonna play that game.

[edit on 16-11-2004 by deevee]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
As a longtime subscriber to the Toronto Star, I've become more and more embarrassed by the left wing bias that has slowly taken over this once great paper. Now their "mission statement" reads of blantant and tireless anti-americanism...the coverage of the Iraq war and the recent US elections borders on comical. ie: a recent survey showing that 60%+ of ALL Canadians believe the US was THE greatest threat to world peace (later revealed the poll was based on 167 replies)...nuff said

On almost a daily basis, anti-american rants (read editorials) by Siddiqui, Harper, etc - along with even their fashion/celebrity hack, Zerbisias, continue unchallenged....and whenever there might be a shortage - a quick call to the New York Times' finest will pull up any slack

If it were not for the excellent, balanced writings of Rosie DiManno, and (OK who's kidding who!) 2nd to none sports coverage...I would have cxl'd this rag a long time ago....

Regardless - the silent MAJORITY of Canadians support the US and will continue to do so

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
If our brainless leaders so much as put any serious thought into doing this, they would be dead to the Westerners. Even more than they currently are (if that's possible).

Bush is doing the right thing. If anything, he may be a little too gentle with the bastards.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Steven Harper is against Bush ? Harper is the one whose up for 'Star Wars', though, he wants the exact semantics of this machinery beforehand.

I agree with the Toronto Star: Bush has commited more wars crimes than we can imagine, and quite blatantly too. The problem is two-fold: Canada does not have much political clout to chide the president; and, Canadian leaders have been very 'quite' when it comes to this current war and not scrutinizing them idiot in the white house.

War crimes also specifically include any breach of the 1949 Geneva Conventions, such as torture, degradation, wilfully depriving prisoners of war of their rights "to a fair and regular trial," launching attacks "in the knowledge that such attacks will cause incidental loss of life or injury to civilians" and deportation of persons from an area under occupation.

The mistreatment of prisoners at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison is a clear contravention of the Geneva Accord. The U.S. is also deporting selected prisoners to camps outside of Iraq (another contravention). U.S. press reports also talk of shadowy prisons in Jordan run by the CIA, where suspects are routinely tortured. And the estimated civilian death toll of 100,000 may well contravene the Geneva Accords prohibition against the use of excessive force.

Our 'beloved' Prime Minister: Still, Prime Minister Paul Martin has staked out his strong opposition to war crimes. This was his focus in a September address to the U.N. General Assembly.There, Martin was talking specifically about war crimes committed by militiamen in far-off Sudan. But as my friends on the Star's editorial board noted in one of their strong defences of concerted international action against war crimes, the rule must be, "One law for all."

"One law for all."[/

Deep

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
They can try but the Mississippi National Guard will invade and take over

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
They can try but the Mississippi National Guard will invade and take over

Bring whisky and greenbacks and you won't fire a shot.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by deevee]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
Bring whisky and greenbacks and you won't fire a shot.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by deevee]

I would be comming for the beer!

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Arresting the President of the US, Yeah that might be a act of War. Well I guess our service men and women can spare a weekend to take over Canada.

J/K

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The Mississippi National Guard is a little extreme. The Rhoda Island Marching Band should do the trick

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rayzor11
As a longtime subscriber to the Toronto Star, I've become more and more embarrassed by the left wing bias that has slowly taken over this once great paper. Now their "mission statement" reads of blantant and tireless anti-americanism..

*snicker*

What do you read, then?

The national post, a right wing newspaper?

The Sun, which has opinions worht less than the paper its printed on?

If I had my way, I'd be reading the Montreal Gazette. Hell, even La Presse would be better than the Post. I really wasn't aware than noncompliance to our Americna overlords was considered a left wing bias, but okay.

DE

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by crisko
The Mississippi National Guard is a little extreme. The Rhoda Island Marching Band should do the trick

If they are busy we can always send Our Detroit Red Wings in and start checking across the borders....

God knows they have enough time on their hand with the lock out.

Later,

Reason

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The fact that this newspaper can even entertain this concept is funny.

What's going to happen? A Canadian court would initiate a trial. The USA would laugh at it and wouldn't even bother to send representation because clearly Canada has as much jurisdiction over a sitting US president as we have over a martian. And then? And then the left leaning jury who can't stand Bush (seems that most canadians can't stand him) will declare him "guilty" and ummm... send a Mountie unit in to arrest him? Come on guys. I realize it's hypothetical but the folks at this newspaper must really be hitting the pipe too hard.

Similar things have been discussed before... I think it was Belgium? Someone remembers I'm sure. Ain't gonna happen. All that would happen is comic material for the late night guys and some attention for the province that the trial takes place in. Do you Canadians need your own OJ Simpson or Kobe Bryant trial? The first round of popcorn is on me

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Hey - lets not get carried away here - thats one powerfull marching band! The drums might sound like gun shots and the horn section could make them think bombs are exploding

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx

As a longtime subscriber to the Toronto Star, I've become more and more embarrassed by the left wing bias that has slowly taken over this once great paper. Now their "mission statement" reads of blantant and tireless anti-americanism..

*snicker*

What do you read, then?

The national post, a right wing newspaper?

The Sun, which has opinions worht less than the paper its printed on?

If I had my way, I'd be reading the Montreal Gazette. Hell, even La Presse would be better than the Post. I really wasn't aware than noncompliance to our Americna overlords was considered a left wing bias, but okay.

DE

thats the sad part - there is no alternative...maybe the Globe...but you have to admit the Star's content borders on comical the past 2 years, no matter which side of the fence you stand

"noncompliance" is one thing - and I respect that...but BLATANT anti-americanism is entirely another

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

thats the sad part - there is no alternative...maybe the Globe...but you have to admit the Star's content borders on comical the past 2 years, no matter which side of the fence you stand

"noncompliance" is one thing - and I respect that...but BLATANT anti-americanism is entirely another

There's nothing wrong with being anti american, at least in my eyes. Say what you want, the movement is strong, and getting stronger. Even Alberta, the festering nest of neoconservativism in Canada, is turning against the US. They have no shortage of market. At any rate, I would not exactly call many American news outlets pro-canadian in any way.

DE

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Of course there is nothing wrong with being "anti-American". In fact almost half the U.S. electorate is anti-American. I just get upset with fellow Canadians who are STUPIDLY anti-American.

We have NO say in what happens down there, so it's our job to play the cards that we have been dealt. Like it or not, we're America's bitch. We can either take on the role of the shrill harpie and tell them how bad we are going to screw them over when we get their lame butt's into court......OR....we can be their mistress....Stroke their needy egos, pout when we don't get our way.. and ultimately get everything we need.

Look at the responses to this thread. I explicitly stated that a particular columnist expressed a viewpoint that was contrary to what most Canadians feel and hoped Americans would ignore his nonsense. Americans responded with jokes about marching bands conquering my country. Whatever. That's America. They can't invade and hold a third world cesspool yet they think Canadians are pussies ripe for the picking and they just can't lose the "I can whoop your azz" arrogance. That's them. Our smarts historically have come from exploiting their weakness. We seem to be losing that, and it's a zero sum game we are now playing.

America- We Love You Long Time

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
. Americans responded with jokes about marching bands conquering my country. Whatever. That's America. They can't invade and hold a third world cesspool yet they think Canadians are pussies ripe for the picking and they just can't lose the "I can whoop your azz" arrogance. America-

Atleast you took them as jokes and not the wrong way.

The thing about these third world cesspools we did invade it them are holding it and thats not going to change.No insurgents are going to make the military pack up and leave with their tails between their legs. Sure they might kill some people but they aint winning any ground.

We invaded Afghanistan a country that the last Super Power that tried to invade was sent packing home from. I cant even think of a country in last couple hundred of years that invaded Afghanistan with success.

And you have to remember the normal people in these third world countries have access to full auto AKs and RPGs that type of stuff. Im not up to date on Canada's gun control laws but Im pretty sure the public is not able to get those type of things.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
We invaded Afghanistan a country that the last Super Power that tried to invade was sent packing home from. I cant even think of a country in last couple hundred of years that invaded Afghanistan with success.

A superpower in decline, and I do believe that the CIA provided all sorts of fun toys for the freedom fighters of afghanistan. That's what we know- maybe a few SEAL teams, too.

Since then, Afghanistan has all but been at war with itself, at least until the invasion. Congradulations. Now, I have a question for you- who's been keeping the peace while America's been running amuk? That's right...Canada.

DE

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx

A superpower in decline, and I do believe that the CIA provided all sorts of fun toys for the freedom fighters of afghanistan. That's what we know- maybe a few SEAL teams, too.

Since then, Afghanistan has all but been at war with itself, at least until the invasion. Congradulations. Now, I have a question for you- who's been keeping the peace while America's been running amuk? That's right...Canada.

DE

A super power none the less that can even still now wipe most countries off the map if it wanted to.

Afghanistan has also been at war with its self for the last couple hundred years even when Russia invaded.

The US is still in Afghanistan your making it seem like they all packed up and left it to Canada. A 18,000-strong military coalition, dominated by 16,000 US troops, Canada is not trying to keep the peace alone by any means. So I dont know how many people you think Canada has over there.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Arresting the President of the US, Yeah that might be a act of War. Well I guess our service men and women can spare a weekend to take over Canada.

J/K

They can't invade and hold a third world cesspool yet they think Canadians are pussies ripe for the picking and they just can't lose the "I can whoop your azz" arrogance. That's them. Our smarts historically have come from exploiting their weakness. We seem to be losing that, and it's a zero sum game we are now playing.America- We Love You Long Time

Well we did burn your Parlament buidling in 1812, then again your m8's burnt down the White House is reponse. America did invade Canada once.....

The US is still in Afghanistan your making it seem like they all packed up and left it to Canada. A 18,000-strong military coalition, dominated by 16,000 US troops, Canada is not trying to keep the peace alone by any means. So I dont know how many people you think Canada has over there.

I just want to point out that all the 'foreign' troops in Afghanistan besides the Americans are based in peacekeeping roles in Kabul. The Fighting is being done by the 16000.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by edsinger]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join