It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is point in doing science...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
if is only right when agrees with the bible?

This is closing statement of following video and in mu opinion it best describes contradiction between science and religion. At least one of Creationist was brave enough to show courage and state that if scientific and religious finding yield different results - only correct is religious one.

Just small note, in this context, it is not all religion, but fundamental religion. Only difference between normal and fundamental religion is that one of them will make change as needed in the order to keep flock together.

This in my opinion would not be problem, believe what you want, but people like this are in politics and in everyday life...

Scary...

edit on 1-11-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

You'd have a very good point if science weren't constantly revealing that religion was right all along.

I say, keep up the good fight science - eventually, you'll find something even the most stubborn atheist cannot dispute.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
There will always be a few devout religious people who will only accept things that they believe is true. This trait is not limited to religion either. Most people think that the presence of god can go hand and hand with science. It is not a conflict for most people. Science can get a little off track, not looking at the big picture and focusing on the little pieces. We are extremely far from knowing everything.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

All strong memes are regressive. That is, they drive followers towards orthodoxy.

Memes that are not strong enough to drive towards orthodoxy are in the process of dying. For example Catholicism.

A meme that is growing stronger through regression: Islam.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Unfortunately ignorance and fantastical thinking, sometime have grave consequences.
So, do science. k
Mind you, some applications of science can also have nasty results, but at least we can attribute these to a rational cause.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Wow, i wasnt aware of any science that indicated religion was right. Any kind of scientific study, experiment, or evidence that indicated religion was right would be huge! Would you mind sharing this world changing evidence? I would love to read it.

DC

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
i think he's on the right track but put the cart before the horse. for example, i believe i have sufficient evidence to suggest the creation account is not the original creation of the universe, including the earth, but a re-creation of it following the cataclysm that wiped out the dinosaurs. the key word in the text says, RE-plenish, which means to RE-fill. the opening verses describe the earth was in a state of "tohu" (original hebrew) which means it was in a state of chaos. later it says the earth was not created in a state of tohu (chaos), so the opening passages, other than the very first verse Genesis 1:1, are not talking about the original creation of the universe but the recreation of the biosphere of the planet, following a cataclysm, which includes the repopulating of select species
edit on 1-11-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
One could ask the religious person what is the point in studying their various religious texts when they are all provably false, rewritten, or stolen from other older religions?

Science is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Key words being observation and experiment.

The question posed in the OP is just absurd really.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

read what i wrote above. the short answer is, the old testament is mostly a historical and scientific document, but our lack of scientific knowledge, 300 years ago and earlier, has made the information into fanciful mythology

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

Faith and faith healing is tangibly real:
www.youtube.com...

Einsteins relatively gives us the ability to have literal 6 days of creation...

etc, and so forth.

Nothing new, but maybe one day it will be something you cannot deny. Eventually you'll have to pick sides, I think.

Edit:
This is kind of new maybe:
Water bears witness?
www.youtube.com...
edit on 11/1/2013 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

What things? Is it for example geocentric universe or perhaps what this short video shows nicely...

reply to post by rickymouse

What you are saying that not all people are religious... In my opinion, as soon as you start doubting holy book, that takes you out of religion. Isn't that self protection mechanisms that used to enslave those people for thousands years already?

reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

In my opinion, there is no difference between fundamental religious people, no matter what religion - they are all willing to kill, be killed and do worst of atrocities just for their beliefs and have constant need to point to others that only they are right... This museum was made on those premises, even there is no single piece of evidence dinosaurs and human for example existed at the same time.
I disagree about Catholicism, imho they have actually more chance to survive in long run.

edit on 1-11-2013 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

It really is a shame just how right Ron White's statement was when he said... "You can't cure stupid."

I once read a book about some "all powerful guy" who live up on a mountain. Nobody had ever seen him, but they knew he was there; they could hear him making rumbling and roaring noises, so they believed he was there.
Several times brave men climbed the mountain to try to speak with him, but none of them ever came down alive. It was taught that you would die if you looked on his face.

Well, time has passed and we now have "flying machines' which can go high above this mountain and no one has yet seen this man up there. I am not saying he is not there, it is just that he has not been seen.
Man once believed he could never fly, but now we do.
So much for the advancements in science.

Oh, as an after thought I must ask..

Which religion are you referring to as being proven right by science?
edit on 1-11-2013 by teamcommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
is anyone going to address my comments?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

SuperFrog the video

lol, this is great video.
edit on 1-11-2013 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Bleeeeep

You'd have a very good point if science weren't constantly revealing that religion was right all along.

I say, keep up the good fight science - eventually, you'll find something even the most stubborn atheist cannot dispute.

You must be reading different scientific articles and journals than I am.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Richard Dawkins reviewed this in his documentary - Enemies of Reason (2 pieces, in following video shown togethere)

Slaves to Superstition & Irrational Health Services

The Enemies of Reason is a two-part television documentary, written and presented by evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, in which he seeks to expose "those areas of belief that exist without scientific proof, yet manage to hold the nation under their spell", including mediumship, acupuncture and psychokinesis.

This has nothing to do with science and it is just further proof that religion and science are mutually exclusive. Don't you agree?

And just as Dawkins is pointing out - religion is not harmless.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kmb08753

until you address my post, you're engaging in tilting your own strawmen. that's easy to do.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

undo
reply to post by watchitburn

read what i wrote above. the short answer is, the old testament is mostly a historical and scientific document, but our lack of scientific knowledge, 300 years ago and earlier, has made the information into fanciful mythology

What you say may be true, in the context, that the genesis thing is a very early attempt at deductive speculation, unfortunately based on confabulated predicates.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

You may get a responce if you are willing to admit their science is bigger than your science.
Other wise you may be talking to a wall.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The failings of both religion/philosophy and science is human politics and power games.

EDIT: The point in learning science is to understand how the universe works. It adds a rational balance to the faith of religion.

Both have their failings.
edit on 201311America/Chicago11pm11pmFri, 01 Nov 2013 13:45:00 -05001113 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join