It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is the amazing Lockheed Martin SR-72—the space Blackbird

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Can you give a hint on what the locations maybe ? Or have you got any likely suspect air bases they may fly out from

Did I read correctly that the runway would have to be 8000 feet long ?

Edit: would these locations be in the US? Or on US soil else where in the world
edit on 16-11-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

There are several candidates, and as for runway length, that's my best guesstimate. Look for the former SR-71 bases that you can find online, and best guesstimate, if this is flying would be the more out of the way locations, as well as Groom.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Fair enough surely there can only be a few candidates. Would you presume if the SR72 was being flown, would it be based on US mainland soil. Or would you think it would be off mainland US for example Guam or Diego Garcia

I've always liked the ascension islands as an air base in then Atlantic. Without it I think the Falklands war would of been a bit more difficult

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

For now, I would suspect that it's strictly a US basing.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Thought so .. Thanks for letting me pick your brain for a moment

Edit: just using wiki after a quick search I've narrowed it down to a possible 17 air bases that the SR 72 could use but of course I don't know the ones we haven't heard of or know about
edit on 16-11-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Also Zaph I'm not sure if this question is relevant to the subject but would the SR72 be classed as an Air Force project or would it be Navy/Army airforce

Hope that makes sense, in the UK we have the RAF but also Army Air Corp and Naval air stations

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

There are very few joint projects here in the US. The services have pretty diverse requirements, so it's not easy to develop a joint system.

There are some, such as some helicopters, the C-130, the MV-22, etc. But for specific missions like this, it's usually an Air Force project and they'll share data with the others.
edit on 11/16/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Nice one thanks. So this rough list I've quickly created of air bases with large runways I can cross out any naval air stations ? And army airfields
edit on 16-11-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Pretty much. You're looking for remote Air Force bases, without a large population around them as your most likely places they'd fly out of.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Yeah I thought as much, I've just made a list for now it's given me something to do while I work. Cheers mate!

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Is what ever that is going to be acknowledged connected to NM?

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

IF it comes into the light. It's just a rumor now, but yes.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
so where are the locations or bases it will be launched from after its revealed. i think this will strictly be an air force project not joining with any other forces or nations.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
another project going to Edwards, it can't be possible to be something more interesting than the SR-72? Sr-72 news is realy the best thing in aerospace since a decade

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
maybe uptil something else in rumor catches everyone's attention.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by darksidius

The SR-72 will only be truly exciting once they build and fly one. At least the project coming to Edwards already seems to exist in material form. Plans call for expanding the security perimeter around South Base just like they did years ago when the B-2 first came to Edwards.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
or it could be base somewhere totally different where no one thinks to look. like when we had that secret mission from alaska they we doing a final test of a previous uav followed by the f-22 doing background reconnaissance over russia.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
New here, so, hope I'm not butting in to the conversation too much. But, could Beale or Tonopah be candidates for this?

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
possibly

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SonofaSkunk

Beale would actually be a good spot for it. They have a lot of the necessary infrastructure already, and are in a location where they can get away from prying eyes quickly and head out to sea.

And welcome to the fun. You'll find an amazing aviation forum here if that's what you're after. All new ideas are more than welcome as are questions.
edit on 11/17/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join