License-plate scanners: Crime-fighting tool or invasion of privacy?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Aazadan
It's not always that simple. I'm a "slow" driver myself, I only drive the speed limit whenever possible. On some roads around here though doing so makes you a road hazard, and in large cities this is even more true. It's more important to match the speed of traffic than to adhere to a limit when there's a significant difference between the two.

I'm sorry, but that is simply not true. You drive to the limit, not what others on the road are doing, no two ways about it. For example, on my way to work there is a nice stretch of straight road but it's a 30 limit owing to the built up area and a school - it changes to a 40 near the dual carriageway roundabout further down - and you regularly get people speeding down there, but I will always drive to the limit and not over. If I get someone bombing up behind me, that's their problem, not mine.

Using your logic, if everyone on the motorway was doing 100mph, you'd do the same - what if there was an accident or someone up ahead had to break suddenly, especially considering that tailgaiting is such a popular pass time and amongst "experienced" drivers it is worse? You'd have no time to react and plow right into someone doing a ton.

It does irk me people making excuses for poor driving - I've had to pay a fortune and pass an increasingly difficult set of tests to get a license yet I see those who have been driving for years with the worst behaviour.

Do you leave your 2 second gap? I wonder if you do, considering you seem to think speeding is acceptable. That is far more important yet many drivers (especially Merc or BMW drivers!) seem to ignore this and think it is not only acceptable to speed but to also go right up behind the poor sod in front who is obeying the limit. If people do that to me, I'll shave a few mph off and go a little slower, usually makes them back off. Remember, it's a LIMIT, not a target.

reply to post by Imagewerx

Quite. It has always baffled me why people get up in arms about speed camera's and the like - don't want to get a fine? Don't speed! Jeebus... Another pet hate of mine is people moaning about "middle lane hogs" sitting doing 70mph.. What the bloody hell are you supposed to be doing if the inside lane is full of trucks? My dad moans about them, as he bombs up the middle lane doing 80mph... Defies logic.

The sooner the insurance companies make EVERYONE have a telemetry box in their car, the better and mark my words, it is only a matter of years before they do.

edit on 4/11/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
It's headed slowly but surely toward the point where you're every move, your every thought, everythign you do have or whatever is all tracked. All freedoms will eventually be completely eroded in all first world countries. The only fortunate thing is you'll be gone before the worst happens, but every year you'll see a new loss of freedom until the day you die. Either get use to it or move to a free country.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Aazadan
I have no desire to speed, like I said I drive at the speed limit, usually a couple mph under it. When you're on a road where the limit is 60 however and all the traffic around you is going 85, the fact is you are a road hazard. It's safer for everyone involved including yourself to go 85 in that situation.

No, you're not the hazard, every other tit driving well over the limit is the hazard and god forbid you be doing 85 in a 60, that's just insane! I can't believe you're trying to justify it! You do 60 and then everyone else is forced to slow down, you're not a hazard and never will be by driving the limit. You can be is you do 40 in a 60, but never 60.

Aazadan
If a cop is around they can and will actually give you a ticket for driving too slowly compared to the rest of the traffic, even if you're the only one not speeding specifically because it makes the road more dangerous for everyone.

No, they won't, not in the UK anyway. You will get pulled over and have a talking too if you're doing 40 on the motorway when it is clear and you might get a ticket for that, but it's ever so unlikely.

The bottom line and the way I look at it is this - if you're doing the limit or thereabouts and, god fobid, someone steps out onto the road, not only are they more likely to survive, owing to a lower speed and more time to react, but you won't get put in prison for it. If you're over the limit and you hit someone, you're fudged and looking at a couple of years inside at HM's pleasure.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Some (make that a LOT) of drivers do sit in the middle lane of the motorway for 20 miles or more even when the inside lane is clear.I do a lot of peak time motorway miles and the inside lane is never totally filled up with lorries,there's always room to overtake and then pull back in even if it is only for a minute or so.My car has a claimed top speed of 153 MPH but I still find it easy enough to keep it just below the national speed limit without the use of a grossly overpriced electronic box stuck on my windscreen bleeping away "telling" me how to drive.
The point of this in my eyes as I said before,we need less in the way of fancy electronics and more cops in cars again using their eyes as they used to.They and they alone can catch bad drivers.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

Indeed and in that case, I would stick to the left as you're supposed to if the inside lane is clear. While on the point of motorways, it's telling that many view the outside lane as the "fast lane", which is bollocks as every lane has the same limit - 70!

As for the little box, it is tucked away in my steering column and just reports back to the insurer on my manner of driving - this does actually help me as new driver to stick to the law as it means I get much cheaper premiums next year. Other than that, it is quite inconspicuous.

I agree we shouldn't have to have these devices, but considering that many people out there are quite shocking, it might be needed to make people think about how they do drive and at the same time, get our premiums down and only those who wish to drive as a tit can pay the extra for it. Without the box, I'd never have got insured on my A6 as a new driver.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Easier to track you.
Earlier this year, "You are being tracked: ACLU..." and "New tracking software knows exactly where you'll be on a precise time." - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Easier to issue "no insurance" tickets.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

here in the uk we also have a fund that all the insurance companies pay into, that will pay out in some case's of an uninsured incidents .

i could not say if my insurance has gone down because of the camera's , but my insurance is reasonably low,
and that could be due to my age and experience .

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

geobro

ThePeaceMaker
Wow where have you Americans been .. Most of out cop cars in the UK now have ANPR (automatic number plate reading) cameras.

I will try and write a more lengthily reply but kind of busy right now
wow this is 13 years old news to me i remember getting pulled over because my road tax was 2 days out .

i knew the police man and asked him how the heck he had seen that and he showed me the screen in the car and how it scans every car that passes all they do is wait for it to go BEEP look down to see what car has been flagged up .

and face recognition has been here for years to in the u.k

Even the Tesco I work at has ANPR cameras linked to the local police HQ. I do work in a high crime area, a lot of car thefts, drug dealers and people driving non insurance or tax

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Indeed,and a lot of drivers genuinely believe that the left hand lane of motorways is there just for lorries to drive in,and they would be smitten down by the horsemen of the apocalypse if they were to drive in the empty left hand lane.
The answer here is not automotive black box flight recorders,but educating and re-educating them until they get it right.No amount of electronics can ever compensate for the complete lack of common sense so many people seem to suffer from as soon as they get into their car,or the shockingly bad spatial awareness that mainly women drivers seem to suffer from.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join