It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health insurance in the US...WTH happened?! Beyond frustrated.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have not had insurance in about 6yrs. I have been on my husbands since June and well what a joke honestly. I'm tired of jumping through hoops with the insurance companies. It's like I need permission to do ANYTHING or get any appointment. It's beyond frustrating.

I have had constant neck and back pain since having my son, along with constant joint pain and severely crippling migraines. Well I finally get an MRI request and they refuse to do it unless I pay $400 upfront. I was extremely upset because I do not have $400 bucks to give them. What happened to making payments?! I remember not so long ago the last time I had insurance (2007) where you could work out payment plans to get the procedure done. So far EVERY appointment I have gone to the FIRST thing they ask for is payment, not why I'm there or anything. They ask for my co-pay and that is it. I paid my co-pay last Friday and then sat there for TWO HOURS waiting to see my doctor who basically didn't listen to me anyway. It showed when the pharmacy called asking why she was giving me two anti depressants. She told me it was for my joint pain yet clearly effexor is not for joint pain and along with the other prescription it caused the pharmacist to be alarmed and to contact me and then my doctor. I waited two hours only to have her hurry me out and then hear her say right behind me, "Oh I have to go get the kids, I'm late." Um sorry you made me wait TWO hours, took my money and then didn't even listen to me just so you could run to get your kids?! What did I just pay for then?! Nothing, she was too much in a hurry to do something else, so she didn't listen to me. I told her about my joint pain during the first appt and this last one she acted like i never told her!! I did not like that one bit because one of the main reasons I went there was my joint pain and migraines!

I am so beyond disgusted with this country's healthcare system. We pay $400 a month for this service and all I've done is jump thru hoops to get any kind of treatment and still feel just the same as I did two months ago and even more broke. You have to see a GP to see any other kind of doctor. I needed a damn referral to see a nutritionist!!! Since when?! To me it's ALL about money, the more they can get out of you the more they will. It is disgusting. I remember when doctors cared about their patients and wanted to help them and the payment was the last thing they asked for.

I have regular insurance thru my husbands work. It's great insurance but it's pretty sad when you can't even afford to use your own insurance.

I see a psychiatrist type doctor who only wants to talk meds when I'm there and it is beyond annoying me since I"m not there to pay $30 bucks a visit and talk prescription pills the whole time. I'm there for therapy and have yet to receive it in the two months I've been going. I'm now looking for a new doctor because I'm tired of getting nowhere and just feeling worse.

The only thing I got from my last appt on Friday, which I had to push to even see her were my blood test results. They called me about my test results then said she wanted me on some pill to which I said no. I have high cholesterol and triglycerides. She said it can be genetic and I do know my twin has the same. Her first reply via phone was to take crestor. I said absolutely not. I am NOT a candidate for that ESP with my joint pain since it CAUSES joint pain! I'm a firm believer in natural remedies for such things and the fact she just wanted to shove yet another pill down my throat and not even discuss the results with me esp since I've never had a history of either being high really bothered me. I wanted to talk to a nutritionist and work on my diet. I cook so for me that is NOT a problem, changing my diet if need be. I had to call 3 times to get an appt with her so I could discuss my results with her. I had questions and as my doctor I thought she is suppose to answer them without me strong arming myself into the office. Once I got there she said "Oh you wouldn't be a candidate for this due to your joint pain" well DUH, had she listened to me the FIRST time she would have known this. What am I paying for?!

I do not remember any of my doctors from when I had insurance before being like this. They listened and took their time. What happened in 6yrs?! They weren't so quick to shove pills down your throat and now it seems like it's all they want to do. Oh you have an ache, here take this. I have been prescribed more pills in the last two months than my entire life. I take only one, the others do absolutely NOTHING but make me feel like crap and don't help with what they were prescribed for.

So hundreds of dollars later in co-pays and prescriptions that don't do anything I am still the same. I have horrid headaches still, my joints hurt horribly and nothing gets rid of these headaches. So until I hit the lotto or win some money I won't be getting any MRI's. Apparently money is more important than what is going on with me. What if it's something serious? I am completely freaked out and even more depressed. If we could make payments every month on that $400 that would be fine but they won't let you. It doesn't matter that i've had a migraine for 5 mths, just the money matters.

Am I overreacting or is this how our system works now? Money over everything else?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

That sounds like a really bad example of what is currently going on right now,but also I would look for another doctor if I were you.I've heard doctors complain that due to the insurance companies they only have minutes to spend per patient now.Since that is the case,I would suggest making every minute count.If your doctor isn't listening to you,then it was a waste of your minutes and they're s.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
No, it's not just you.

My husband had insurance through his work at about $50 a month, then right after we got married (of course) it went up to $150 a month for just him. JUST FOR ADDING ME ON it would put us up to $500 a month with a $5,000 deductible. That was the CHEAPEST plan. I said no thank you, hubs kept his, and I just started saving a little in a savings account for Dr. only.

Well with Obamacare I am not going to be able to do THAT anymore, and we are going to be paying out of our arse anyway. I really don't know which is the lesser of the two evils anymore. I am currently self pay and with that I end up spending about $50 a month ( I see the Dr. every three months) for visits and medications. If an emergency were to happen we have some money set aside for that, but it seems the self-pay option isn't going to work after Obamacare because of the penalties.

I don't know how Obamacare works if the Head of Household has insurance but the spouse doesn't. Either way I am incredibly ticked off (that's a nice very nice way to put it), confused, and afraid of what is happening to the quality and price of our Health Care in America.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Dimithae

That sounds like a really bad example of what is currently going on right now,but also I would look for another doctor if I were you.I've heard doctors complain that due to the insurance companies they only have minutes to spend per patient now.Since that is the case,I would suggest making every minute count.If your doctor isn't listening to you,then it was a waste of your minutes and they're s.

Yea I am already looking for a different doctor.

I haven't had insurance in a while and never had this problem. Maybe it's her IDK but it seems like they overbook. Once they get you there they already take your payment so you are basically stuck there. If I hadn't already paid them I would have left and rescheduled. They even had the nerve to tell me to hurry up when went to the car to get more diapers!! I looked at her and said "I have been here for TWO HOURS and that I will not hurry for anyone." Like the 2mins made a difference to them. I was so offended by that comment and it takes A LOT to offend me. Sorry I wasn't letting my son sit there in a poopy diaper. I didn't plan on being there for 2hrs +!

I will get a few more opinions but that means more waiting and money. I just want my neck fixed because I can't take these headaches.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Dimithae

Regardless of how ticked they might be at their "minutes" spent with you, you are still the patient and should not be afraid to take up all the time you need to get your questions answered and your voice heard.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Also when I worked in scheduling at the Hospital and at the Dr. office the best appointment times for the Dr. to spend more time with you are right before lunch and right after.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I'm sorry for your troubles. That sounds very frustrating.

I have health insurance under my hubby. I will not be dropped either. I have a family doc I've been seeing for over ten years...he listens to me. I have recently had knee injuries and started physical therapy. The doctor listened to me and helped me and now I will be able to heal further. I am very grateful for this.
Our insurance seems to be very good. Even the physical therapist looked at my paper work and said oh good you have that insurance... I'm thinking...well thank goodness I have "that" insurance so I can get done what needs to be done.

Not every doctor is out there for money. Imo... Sure there are some I have encountered. I even recently encountered one, and I just won't go back to him, because all he can suggest are pills that didn't help.

I know what your going through is difficult and frustrating. Constant pain has made me quite sad and frustrated. I wish you luck and peace and I hope you can find a doctor that cares.

-nat

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

Oh yea my husband paid far less for just him and adding us cost but it does cover my son, my husband and myself BUT when you can't afford to use the insurance then what is the point?!

Here if you self pay you pay out the ARSE!! It's like they penalize you for paying on your own. I use to be self pay back before i had insurance and it was insulting what they'd charge you if you paid yourself. The whole system is a scam.

I pay a $30 co pay for my "psychiatrist" who isn't really a psychiatrist I found out. I am suppose to get an hour and never get that yet I pay the same amount every time and my insurance is billed the rest which is about 150.

It's all about money. You pay before you even get the services. What if I'm not satisfied with my services?!?! I still have to pay?! I don't get what I"m promised yet I still pay for it?

Seriously what happened to our healthcare system?! I know it hasn't been that long but my goodness it's changed a lot in 6yrs. When I saw our co pays and deductibles I was shocked. I went to the ER recently and it was a $100 co pay!! I never paid a co pay in my life at the ER with insurance. We paid it but seriously, $100?? They didn't do anything but give me pills as usual and charge my insurance a ridiculous amount of money for nothing.

Obamacare is crap. I am not for it and argue constantly with those who think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I know many people who are severely screwed due to Obamacare. Sure it helps some but it also hurts many. So it's a no win situation.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

I'm glad you have someone who listens and has helped you!

Yea our insurance is great it's just the co pays and such add up when you have multiple visits a week and meds. I did tell her I'm tired of all the pills they keep giving me because none of them work. She seemed taken a back by that but it's my body and there are other ways to deal with things like high cholesterol.

I am looking right now for docs in my area that take my insurance that will see me. It's getting hard because it's the holiday season and most won't see me til JANUARY! Insane....ugh. Hopefully something comes up.

As for the constant pain yes it is hard and has made me a not so nice person to be around at times. I do not like it. I don't go anywhere because of it. I stay home unless i have to go out because it hurts to even walk up and down the stairs and with a baby it hurts more and I worry about dropping him because of how my hands are. She does have me doing an Rhuematoid Arthritis test because ti runs in my family. I hope to god it's not that but something isn't right. I have never had this pain before and makes me miserable in more ways than one.

Thank you for your kind words

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

It's that way everywhere. Hospitals are bad too. My 3 year old son recently poked himself in the eye and because of his discomfort overnight and the next morning we thought he had scratched the eyeball. To make a long story short, we took him to the er, got put in a room to wait for 2 hours and while waiting I realized that his eyelashes looked funny and rolled his eyelid out, pulling his lashes out of his eye. He said "all better" and I poked my head through the door to tell them that I was leaving since I had solved the problem myself and they told me to wait and immediately sent a doctor in to offer to examine the eye. Funny how fast the doc came in after being so busy for 2 hours... I refused any treatment since he was Ok but they still made me pay the $125 co-pay. Once they have you registered you can't get out of it, even if they don't actually treat you.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I haven't had insurance since my divorce was finalized 2 years ago. With Obamacare I can't afford the monthly premiums & I earn too much to qualify for Medicaid so I'll pay their d*** fine every year until I can afford insurance or finally qualify for Medicaid. Sad thing is the fine is still cheaper than premiums under Obamacare!!

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Oh it's messed up isn't it?!

They always get their money!!

Glad your son was ok though

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Weren't you going to move to Canada a couple of years ago?

That said, MRIs don't get done much up here, unless something is really really serious.

The only thing I got from my last appt on Friday, which I had to push to even see her were my blood test results. They called me about my test results then said she wanted me on some pill to which I said no. I have high cholesterol and triglycerides. She said it can be genetic and I do know my twin has the same.

Cut way back on sugars and grains. That causes both triglycerides and high cholesterol.
Use more olive oil, to bring up your good cholesterol.

Sugar and grains are also inflammatory, making the joint pain worse.
Look into more omega 3 oils, they help with inflammation.
Ginger is also really good. And turmeric.

Canadians just go in without co-pays, but doctors everywhere are still only trained to treat symptoms, not the cause. And they don't know near enough about nutrition.
edit on 1-11-2013 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Oh just spoke to the insurance company and they will NOT cover a dietician. IF I were part of the obesity program they would. Oh so because I would rather do things the all natural way than shoving a pill down my throat I don't qualify?

They'll cover the ridiculous pill if I wanted that, which I don't but heaven for bid I want to do it the right way by dealing with my diet. Seriously how messed up!? Guess we will be paying out of pocket AGAIN for something. What is the point of insurance if they don't cover half of the crap you need done?!

GRRRRR.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

snowspirit

Weren't you going to move to Canada a couple of years ago?

So not that easy. I swear if I could I would be there! I keep telling my sister from a Canadian mother lol that she should adopt me lol

That said, MRIs don't get done much up here, unless something is really really serious.

They have done all tests required before doing the MRI. I knew an MRI would be needed. Something is causing the pain I have in my neck and my family has a history of RA and my uncle has stenosis of the spine. She said the last thing to get done would be an MRI since that is what would be able to tell the most but now it looks like I"ll have to wait til we save up some money. I just can't take the headaches anymore, they are making me very bitter.

The only thing I got from my last appt on Friday, which I had to push to even see her were my blood test results. They called me about my test results then said she wanted me on some pill to which I said no. I have high cholesterol and triglycerides. She said it can be genetic and I do know my twin has the same.

Cut way back on sugars and grains. That causes both triglycerides and high cholesterol.
Use more olive oil, to bring up your good cholesterol.
I don't eat a lot of sugar, just 1-2 scoops depending on if I have coffee that day. If I don't then no sugar unless it's in something I eat but then it's usually sugar in the fruit.

I use evoo for everything, no butter. I started substituting evoo for butter a while back. I think many things taste better that way. I use butter if absolutely necessary for the food but 9/10 I can sub with the EVOO and it tastes just fine.

I won't deny I LOVE my pasta, which I make and do buy but I buy the all natural kind that hasn't been enhanced or processed over and over. It's expensive but it tastes better and more like homemade pasta. I get it at Big Lots of all places and it's imported from Italy. I want to know what I can do to make pasta/bread better for me. I have no problem changing that. I do eat bread and that is a family curse! LOL I come from Italians with a love of pasta and bread aka weaknesses! I only eat rye breads or 7 grain type breads and wheat...all gluten free and HFCS free. I try and buy from local bakeries too.

Odd thing is my sister said her levels were raised after having my nephew and then went to normal but recently have spiked back up. We do not eat the same foods either. I know she is a FF junkie where I don't eat it. My mom and brother are both overweight and have no issues. So it's not a weight thing and I don't eat processed foods either. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies and cook my own foods. I will see a dietician on Monday to discuss what foods I should add or cut out. I will not give up pasta or bread lol but they can tell me what kinds to make instead.

Sugar and grains are also inflammatory, making the joint pain worse.
Look into more omega 3 oils, they help with inflammation.
Ginger is also really good. And turmeric.

I have heard that a lot about turmeric!! I knew ginger was good for stomach issues but not joint pain. I will go to the heath food store this weekend. I need some flaxseed so I will add these three to the list. Do they have turmeric pills or do you use turmeric in something? I've never really used it to be honest. Ginger I did while pregnant and it kind of makes my stomach turn lol I will get ginger pills.

Canadians just go in without co-pays, but doctors everywhere are still only trained to treat symptoms, not the cause. And they don't know near enough about nutrition.
edit on 1-11-2013 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

Doctors should know about nutrition. They are too quick to give you pills when so many ailments can be cured of relived with just natural every day diet and exercise. Sounds cliche but it's true. I'm 34 and she wanted to put me on a heavy cholesterol medication and I have NO history of high cholesterol. Even looking at the basic requirements should have told her i wasn't a candidate yet it took me telling her again I didn't want it to realize I shouldn't take it. It just frustrated me.

Thanks for the advice! I think I am going to have to stop my coffee
ehh no biggie. I don't like the caffeine and I only drink coffee because I actually like the taste. I did decaf while pregnant and even the last 5 mtgs didn't even drink that. I make coffee about 4 days a week now where before i was pregnant i made it 7 days a week. I have tried to get into tea but have failed soooo many times. I just don't like the taste and have tried many flavors as well..

OH as for sugar, what about honey? I mean all natural real honey. I know it's sugar but is it considered a good sugar? I got a thing of honey recently from a local bee farm here and it is the first kind of honey I actually liked. I was never a honey person til this bottle. It's not overly sweet like the honey in the stores which I never liked.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

You might be able to get both turmeric and ginger in pill or extract form.

Not sure about honey and inflammation. It is a sweetener, but there might be other benefits that don't make it inflammatory or raise triglyceride levels. (?????)
You should google a bunch of sites to research that. Lots and lots of sites. There's so much conflicting info out there.

Maybe if you made your own pasta and added spinach, kale, sweet potato, etc to cut back the grain content?? I don't know much about pasta making but these days, with the medical system the way it is, we seem to have to self diagnos more often

I hope you can find remedies to feel better. Doctors so often just make thing worse.
And this new obamacare insurance scheme/scam.......

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Thanks, that's the bottom line I guess, he's Ok. It still galls me that they can bill like that for absolutely no service. They just basically charged me for keeping me waiting. They have you over a barrel, they can make you wait for hours while they act like they're so busy but they're really standing around bulls*$tting. I've seen them do it.

Here's another story I have to add. I have older children and one of my sons broke his femur recently wake boarding. Aweful injury, just horrible. Anyway, he was in the hospital for several days afterward and the care there was so bad that they repeatedly made him wait 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour when he buzzed them for his pain meds. When he asked someone to change his bandages (he had a metal rod put in) after about a week they told him they didn't have any bandage. What??? Isn't this supposed to be a hospital??? Geez!

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

snowspirit

You might be able to get both turmeric and ginger in pill or extract form.

Thank you! I will look for both this weekend. We have a health food store and then the Flea Market has a huge all natural section where everything is homemade. The herb tablets and stuff like that. I love it for fresh herbs.

Not sure about honey and inflammation. It is a sweetener, but there might be other benefits that don't make it inflammatory or raise triglyceride levels. (?????)
You should google a bunch of sites to research that. Lots and lots of sites. There's so much conflicting info out there.

Yea I find sites that say honey is good and others that say it isn't but then it seems like they are talking more about the fake honey's in the stores vs real all natural honey from a bee farm. I don't know what the term is but the one here has been around a while apparently.

Maybe if you made your own pasta and added spinach, kale, sweet potato, etc to cut back the grain content?? I don't know much about pasta making but these days, with the medical system the way it is, we seem to have to self diagnos more often

I was thinking of the same. I recently bought some veggie pasta that was from Italy and it was really good. I have put spinach in my fettuccine. I am going to ask the dietician on Monday about it. I love veggie pasta and if I need to have that instead that is fine. I just don't like wheat pasta. It just doesn't taste right not even homemade.

I hope you can find remedies to feel better. Doctors so often just make thing worse.
And this new obamacare insurance scheme/scam.......

Thank you! I have been looking online and found one good site that I happen to follow on FB. They post a lot of natural remedies for at home care. I tried one a while back for my headaches and besides the burning front he pepper it worked lol I guess the burning was a better feeling than the migraine.

I am just surprised at how much things have changed in the insurance/medical world is just 6yrs. It's kind of scary.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

wtbengineer

Thanks, that's the bottom line I guess, he's Ok. It still galls me that they can bill like that for absolutely no service. They just basically charged me for keeping me waiting. They have you over a barrel, they can make you wait for hours while they act like they're so busy but they're really standing around bulls*$tting. I've seen them do it.

Yup that they do! As you sign your name it should also say "bend over" next to it. My little ER visit was insane what they billed insurance. I am amazed at the costs of some of the "procedures." For example. You can buy a UTI screening kit at the drug store BUT you can't do anything with that because you need antibiotics to get rid of it or it can get worse. So you still have to pay to pee on a stick only it's at the inflated rate of $180!! I have had problems since the catheter with my son and the C-section. So not fun yet i know what they friggin charge for the test that takes two seconds. It's nuts! I even asked them about the high cost and they said "oh that is just what they charge. I don't know." So they charge $180 to pee on stick and write a script? I never understood the extremely high costs of things in the medical field, most of the time it just seems excessive.

Here's another story I have to add. I have older children and one of my sons broke his femur recently wake boarding. Aweful injury, just horrible. Anyway, he was in the hospital for several days afterward and the care there was so bad that they repeatedly made him wait 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour when he buzzed them for his pain meds. When he asked someone to change his bandages (he had a metal rod put in) after about a week they told him they didn't have any bandage. What??? Isn't this supposed to be a hospital??? Geez!

Wow that sounds like a horrible experience. How does a hospital not have bandages?

I have only been in the hospital once and well that wasn't a bad experience I must say and I was not on my current insurance but Medicaid at the time. The staff were wonderful including the doctors, nurses and anyone I came in contact with. They came in like clockwork when they were suppose to for 4 days. I was really surprised because I had heard horror stories from people about hospital stays. I really can't complain there but this hospital is no where near where I am now and it's fairly new and each room is like a suite. It's the "fancy" hospital you could say.

edit on 11/1/2013 by mblahnikluver because: spelling errors

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

You're lucky I guess. It makes a difference where you are too. I've been in the hospital and gotten much better treatment than my son did, but I haven't been to that hospital since I was born there way back when. I don't even go to the hospital here unless it's absolutely necessary, and then I prepare to wait.

new topics

top topics

join