It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here we go again..........."Diversity Training"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

If companies were worried about offending other employees- they could have outright said "No costumes".

They didnt.

Its Halloween- there are no rules when it comes to costumes on Halloween...its always been that way..and will always be that way.

If you get offended...than it is you that has the problem...not the person wearing the costume.

You really cant stand anything anti-Obama can you?

Like I said- its Halloween- prepare to get offended.

Last year I dressed as a dead soldier- were people offended? no.
Year before- I dressed as a dead terrorist..were people offended? no.
If they were offended- thats their problem-not mine.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Its Halloween- there are no rules when it comes to costumes on Halloween...its always been that way..and will always be that way.

If you get offended...than it is you that has the problem...not the person wearing the costume.

LOL...such juvenile thinking. May I ask if you are young?

What you say is true...when you are not doing it at the workplace.

At the workplace, there are many rules...and if you don't follow them, you may just get fired.

You just sound silly.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I hate Obama, I think hes probably among the worst POTUS we have ever had.

That being said, its basic company policy of almost every place I have ever worked YOU don't discuss politics are religion PERIOD.

Even when Costumes are allowed they need to fit in company guidelines, IE: No "sexy", Graphic, Religious, Political outfits etc, things that normally would fall into the bounds of common sense and normal company guidelines for HR.

You seem to be the one blinded by Obama hate, to not understand basic office decorum and rules of conduct.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

But the question is was this part of company policy?

Was there a place in their company handbook that would have or should have led them to the conclusion that this would have been out of bounds?

Just because it might be there in your company handbook doesn't mean it was in their's.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

maybe thats why mom and pop stores,, are dead,,no Corp. Rules too follow.
ohh and the economy is stagnent. because,,we dont follow the rules more adherently.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

"You seem to be the one blinded by Obama hate, to not understand basic office decorum and rules of conduct."

Im not blinded by anything. Its very clear to me...people get offended way too easy...and it was the companies responsibility to lay out whatever stupid rules they have to their employees ahead of time.
If they did lay out the rules- and he broke those rules- then ok- hes breaking company policy.

Im not the one hating on anything besides peoples lack of anything to do but complain about stupid crap like this.

To Alien Science.... You calling me young and having juvenille thinking your way of trying to retort the truth? You even said "Thats true". Come at me with something substantial instead of emotional =)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by benrl

But the question is was this part of company policy?

Was there a place in their company handbook that would have or should have led them to the conclusion that this would have been out of bounds?

Just because it might be there in your company handbook doesn't mean it was in their's.

You ever work HR or Management? its such a basic easily understood idiom that its almost an Unwritten rule, YOU DO NOT DISCUSS religion or politics, Period.

No Manager worth their pay would ever allow it, as it automatically opens up a huge liability for a hostile work place lawsuit.

You deal with the realities of the world your in, not what you would like, and in the US, with the litigious nature of people YOU don't allow it.

if you agree with it or not, doesn't change the fact that this is a standard view for companies.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

The article doesn't specify the type or nature of the "diversity training." There's not even an actual quote, this is just WP reporting on something originally reported on by a Fox affiliate (both Rupert Murdoch owned) without doing anything that could be remotely deemed "journalism."

Okay, so you are saying the Diversity training ordered as a result of this specific skit wouldn't have been related to race at all? I mean, that is what I'm taking from what you're saying. That it either wasn't, or isn't likely to have been any part of it.

I wonder.... If someone showed up in a Bush costume ..and lets get away from politically explosive passion here to say Daddy Bush. Lets say someone showed up to look like George HW Bush playing on the 'Read my lips..No New Taxes' line we all heard back then and just can't quite forget for how blatant that lie was.

You figure diversity training would still have been ordered for everyone ...because it was a political thing to have played on that? It should have been. If political was the basis. I kinda doubt it would have worked that way though.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I can see that anyone "keeping the faith" and still clinging to the wreckage of their political affiliations would be deeply embarrassed to be reminded of the insanity of their leaders -- no-one likes to be ridiculed for their gullibility, or have their nose rubbed in their shattered dreams.

Such people have obviously ignored previous opportunities to see the light, and loneliness will only add to their discomfort.

They are not helped by others tiptoeing around their twisted sensitivities, and the workplace is a fine learning environment for those whose nostrils are as yet untroubled by the smell of coffee.

Unless you want to just be a professional, and leave your integrity at home.
Maybe "the boss" would like that.

mistersmith.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

BobAthome
reply to post by benrl

maybe thats why mom and pop stores,, are dead,,no Corp. Rules too follow.
ohh and the economy is stagnent. because,,we dont follow the rules more adherently.

Its exactly whats killing small business, I didn't say it was right, just that its standard.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

It doesn't matter what the HR unwritten rule is.

If they did a crappy enough job not to make that clear through various avenues, then it's on their head, and the employees shouldn't be punished for it.

Had the HR dept. done their job and educated the employees as to what was in bounds, then this wouldn't have happened.

Or else, this is just another instance of how black people live with a double standard and took it for granted. They thought that because they are black like Obama, there would be nothing wrong with it. In other words, they only took race into account.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by theantediluvian

The article doesn't specify the type or nature of the "diversity training." There's not even an actual quote, this is just WP reporting on something originally reported on by a Fox affiliate (both Rupert Murdoch owned) without doing anything that could be remotely deemed "journalism."

Okay, so you are saying the Diversity training ordered as a result of this specific skit wouldn't have been related to race at all? I mean, that is what I'm taking from what you're saying. That it either wasn't, or isn't likely to have been any part of it.

I wonder.... If someone showed up in a Bush costume ..and lets get away from politically explosive passion here to say Daddy Bush. Lets say someone showed up to look like George HW Bush playing on the 'Read my lips..No New Taxes' line we all heard back then and just can't quite forget for how blatant that lie was.

You figure diversity training would still have been ordered for everyone ...because it was a political thing to have played on that? It should have been. If political was the basis. I kinda doubt it would have worked that way though.

If people were offended and enough people complained to HR...then yes, I believe the same response would have been made.

Why are you and others so hell bent on trying to make this an issue...anyone who has worked in a professional setting knows that this costume was a dumb idea. The professional environment is not ATS...it is not high school...it is not your own personal platform to make political statements...even on Halloween.

Some people here need to learn some professionalism and check their overly righteous "freedom of speech" obsession at the door. You don't have freedom of speech at work...they can restrict whatever they like at work.

Honestly, some people's hate, including yours, of Obama is just downright disturbing.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

To Alien Science.... You calling me young and having juvenille thinking your way of trying to retort the truth? You even said "Thats true". Come at me with something substantial instead of emotional

I'm asking you if you are young because you are displaying very immature rational.

Is there a reason you didn't answer though? It makes me think that you really are young and my assessment is on target.

link   

beezzer
There is an oft used saying that I see from time to time on ATS.

I can't remember enough to look it up, but it goes something like this. . .

"To see who is in charge of a police-state, find out who you can't ridicule."

Dick Cheney ?
2nd

link   

ketsuko
reply to post by benrl

It doesn't matter what the HR unwritten rule is.

If they did a crappy enough job not to make that clear through various avenues, then it's on their head, and the employees shouldn't be punished for it.

Had the HR dept. done their job and educated the employees as to what was in bounds, then this wouldn't have happened.

Or else, this is just another instance of how black people live with a double standard and took it for granted. They thought that because they are black like Obama, there would be nothing wrong with it. In other words, they only took race into account.

Theres another big Social taboo you glance over, Go to work in black face on Halloween, see how well that goes over.

Again doesn't make it right, just makes it standard Corporate covering their own ass BS that is standard nationwide in every major corporation and small business.

Who have become so afraid of litigation that they bend over backwards to not offend anyone, not saying its right.

JUST that this is not something out of left field and that anyone with half a brain could of seen the problem with such a costume at a company function.

ETA:

Ill make this simple.

You dress in something, that ANYONE can find remotely offensive, someone complains, NO matter the complaint the company will go into cover their ass mode period.

It doesn't matter the right or wrong of it, the Company needs to be seen as doing something about the complaint, IF they don't, the complaining party could try for a Hostile work place.

Which means no matter the merit of it, they will have to spend money on it, and its cheaper to throw their employees in diversity training, than to higher a lawyer.

Its a fairly simple concept to grasp.
edit on 1-11-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

AlienScience

To Alien Science.... You calling me young and having juvenille thinking your way of trying to retort the truth? You even said "Thats true". Come at me with something substantial instead of emotional

I'm asking you if you are young because you are displaying very immature rational.

Is there a reason you didn't answer though? It makes me think that you really are young and my assessment is on target.

Like most of your replies- you are wrong.

Im not that young- and I have been in the workplace for a long time. You say Im immature because I think people need to stop being babies? haha.talk about irrational thinking.

If the company allowed costumes on halloween- then it was their responsibility to lay out the rules.
If they were worried about 'guidelines" they would have laid them out ahead of time...PERIOD.

Anything and everything can be considered "inappropriate or offensive".

If anyone is at fault here- its the company- not the employees.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

And again, the company needs to make this crystal clear. If they didn't, then it's on their head.

Honestly, allowing the employees to have a Halloween Party at all where anyone can come in any costume sends a poor signal and opens the door. So, someone dropped the ball in HR, IMO, and this shouldn't be the employees' fault.

I know my place of work and my husband's don't allow their employees to dress up for Halloween and come to work in costume for any reason for just this reason.
edit on 1-11-2013 by ketsuko because: to add thought

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Im not that young- and I have been in the workplace for a long time. You say Im immature because I think people need to stop being babies? haha.talk about irrational thinking.

If the company allowed costumes on halloween- then it was their responsibility to lay out the rules.
If they were worried about 'guidelines" they would have laid them out ahead of time...PERIOD.

Anything and everything can be considered "inappropriate or offensive".

If anyone is at fault here- its the company- not the employees.

LOL.

"I'm not that young" = "I'm young, but I don't think I am young"

And who ever said the company wasn't at fault...isn't that why the apologized and doing these diversity classes to correct their own failure?

The guy who wore the costume isn't in trouble and didn't get in trouble from what is reported, the company is correcting their own failure of directly telling their employees what is and is not allowed...the probably figured that their employees were smart enough to figure that out on their own...but apparently not.

The over-reaction by the Obama hating crowd, including you, is just absolutely hilarious. You are willing to defend complete morons because you agree with their Obama hatred.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by benrl

And again, the company needs to make this crystal clear. If they didn't, then it's on their head.

Honestly, allowing the employees to have a Halloween Party at all where anyone can come in any costume sends a poor signal and opens the door. So, someone dropped the ball in HR, IMO, and this shouldn't be the employees' fault.

OMG...who the hell is saying it is NOT the companies fault????

They are now doing the diversity training because it WAS their fault that they didn't address it before.

Of course, I would bet that now Halloween parties will no longer be allowed due to a couple idiots not understanding societal boundaries, but that is how things go.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

So, the correct response to someone coming in an Obama mask is to automatically assume that everyone needs to sit in an auditorium and be told how they need to feel guilty for being born with the wrong ethnicity which is what diversity training always boils down to in the end?

How about just sending out statements about how politics is unacceptable?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join