It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to all: What Is The True Purpose of Life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I always wonder this simple question about the true origin of life, which always give me an insight of where the answer lies: what is the main purpose of existence in both ultimately life scenarios, it is to say, either there is something after death or not?

If there is no soul and therefore no sustainment of our own learnings and experiences along the short and long progress of life,
then why are we here for?

Are we losing our time? In that essence, what is the point of really wanting to work on ourselves and make true progress, both in spiritual and concrete aspects of life, I'm wondering?

There is two things life teaches us very shortly in the beginning of our truly conscious years (around 14 years old):

1st what we have we don't cherish and what we lose we aspire
and most of all,
2nd life is a complex learning program of its own. Everything has a purpose.

I don't believe anyone will question the fact that we are here to learn, to evolve, to love, to receive and naturally give and ultimately, survive.

I'm deeply convinced there is a strong possibility of the presence of an enormous spiritual goal on this planet and even, let's say, in this plane, wheter or not we can perceive it with our 5 physical senses. What I mean here is that when you think about life this way, the fact that life itsels is based on the idea of progress and learning makes you wonder what gave birth and power to this concept in the first place?

Even more than that, what is intelligence? Consciousness? How are we able to think and understand with so much complexity the world around us if there isn't already a place where the concept of reflexion and intelligence exists and persists? Where is inteligence coming from? Why is the universe so brilliantly configured?

Isn't the 3rd major lesson learned in life the following: living beings didn't create anything.

In fact, we 'intelligent' beings only discover what lied right in front of our eyes all this time (atomic and subatomic dimension anyone?). How many times did history and science have been proving wrong? Always discovering new ideas and truths about the vast true reality of the universe.

What makes us think in the first place that we are in a position to question the true reality of life, and even more, criticize and label it as we want, even when we all see how wrong we are about it everytime?
Letting small group of people using religions, science, stereotypes, prejudices,etc decide for everyone of what reality should be like. We are given consciouness and intelligence and what do we make of it?

Nothing.
In the 21 century at least, people are lost. They have lost the mysterious and wonderful truths of life.
Which are all available right inside of ourselves at any given time. Time is only based on perception of movement through space, in reality, only the present moment exists. All we are given to live and experience is done in the present, both past and future must be fully lived in the now. There is no exceptions.
So I sincerely ask what is now?

When you truly realize how vast and powerful the whole universe is, you cannot possibly continue to deny the existence of something superior as us. An energy more overwhelming and powerful than anything we have come to think of. Let's remember how complex this universe has to be to function the way it actually is. How much energy is generated through all aspects of life simultaneously.

It always surprise me how there are so many smart atheists out there, understanding very well the actual basic knowledge of how the universe works in general. That makes you wonder how are you guys truly seeing the main purpose of life.
Love. Relationship. Forgiveness. Hate. Smile. Fear. Evolution. Sadness. Hapiness and...
Duality

Evertyhing has an opposite. Everything is duality.
It funnily makes it look like we were all one at first, heh.

However, it's only my opinion, so that's why I'm asking you guys, how are you perceiving this world?

What is the true purpose of life?
edit on 1-11-2013 by St0rD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
To learn, grow, and become One with yourself. To experience life at its fullest and live it as you want to, preferably in a good way that benefits all.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
To learn to love yourself,

Then Live love and laugh.

Is there an afterlife ? I don't know, so I'm packing as much into this one as possible just in case

Cody

edit on 1/11/13 by cody599 because: Crap typing

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
to buy the latest i-gadget and lord it over the plebeian have nots...
to eat at fine restaurants, but not all of the meal, so some of it has to be wasted.

to consume, obey and capitulate.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

Brother, I didn't ask 'What is the true purpose of this corrupted society'.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

why does life have to have a prupose ?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
To love. That simple.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

What is the true purpose of life?

Life itself. The continuation of it, the nurturing of it.

To foster and maintain it, not destroy or prevent it.

This means you and others. The purpose of our life her is to prove how we help or hinder life by how we treat others and our environment

I think life is as abundant in the Universe as it is here. But it is a long way to the next abundance of life. So treasure it. Its all we got.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I tried to respond to this question in the OP.

What is the meaning of life without a purpose to it? The basic average response to this question is that we simply want to believe in something.

But the answer lies way further.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

I don't believe there is any true purpose of life in the way you are asking. Does a blade of grass in the Amazon have a purpose? Not really, it's just part of an ecological system, like us. Things don't always necessarily need a purpose, they simply are.

Do we have physical purposes? Sure, to procreate and continue our genetics. In between doing that there can be many other purposes as well but I doubt they are the answer you're looking for.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The studies of the Lao Tzu and the Tao would suggest that all is merely as it is. Everything is as perfect as it is.

In fact, as you are right now, all is perfect.

Perhaps using your individual intention to impact perfection is the meaning of life.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by St0rD

I don't believe there is any true purpose of life in the way you are asking. Does a blade of grass in the Amazon have a purpose? Not really, it's just part of an ecological system, like us. Things don't always necessarily need a purpose, they simply are.

Do we have physical purposes? Sure, to procreate and continue our genetics. In between doing that there can be many other purposes as well but I doubt they are the answer you're looking for.

It seems to me like you contradict yourself. Not because what you are saying is wrong, but the way you bring it doesn't really add up to your point. A blade of grass clearly has a purpose, just like any given trees, plants, animals, minerals and whatever you may like.

The way I see it the purpose of life and living beings isn't only to be an ecological system of its own, as you pointed. That doesn't make sense. How could you explain any actions we make in this reality if there is no purpose to it? There always has to be a purpose to everything.

I challenge you to give me ANY example of something that is empty of purpose. And I'm not talking about biological functions and purposes. The whole process of proceation,
as you highlighted, is there for a specific reason. The complex biological and chemical system we are as a being is also working towards a goal:

being completely functional at a molecular level so we can experiment reality at another level.

If I follow your voice, it would be the same as saying that there is no purpose for the components of a computer, that they are just what they are, parts of separate materials and solid matter holding tightly together with no relation whatsoever.
But in reality, what is the purpose of the assemblage of all these parts?

It is to experience virtual realities. To live something.
The purpose cannot necessarely be found in the mechanical conception but rather in the global view and result you get out of the experience. I don't know if you are following me but saying 'Things don't always necessarily need a purpose, they simply are.' doesn't make much sense in my head.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
This life is our chance to prove ourselves worthy of eternal life. Life is a school wherein we either pay attention to lessons and learn how to become worthy to "graduate," or where we flunk out like any student who ignores his education would. Life is us auditioning for a role in a neverending story called "Eternity" (or choosing not to audition for it). The lessons learned include things like "love everyone" and "don't be selfish" and "never get involved in a land war in Asia." As you figure out and assimilate each of these lessons, you move up a grade and get the next (probably harder) lesson, and so on until graduation. This is why I believe in reincarnation; souls that are making progress, but a bit too slowly for one lifetime, are allowed to re-enroll in school as it were and continue their improvement. Those who don't try and/or refuse to learn at all probably get expelled, so to speak.

But then the obvious question becomes, "Why do our souls exist at all?" God created Eve to be Adam's companion... and He created Adam to be His companion. And that explains it. God was lonely. His only "friends" were the angels that didn't side with Satan, and they're basically robots, automatons, predictable and boring. They aren't "real people." So, God came up with Adam, an intelligent being with free will, and later Eve. That only created two friends, though, so He let Satan do that forbidden fruit thing and Adam and Eve went and infiltrated the beings Satan had created (he too wanted some "real people" of his own), which after a few thousand years of interbreeding resulted in you and me.

Satan, Eve, and Adam are why life is the way it is. Life is the desert island on which we're all shipwrecked, thanks to them. They steered the boat right into that coral reef and BANG! Now look at us, all marooned and doomed... and so, enter Jesus, the cruise ship God sent to take us off the island back to the spiritual realms, if we believe God sent him to rescue us, because the boat will be here a very short amount of time and if you aren't ready to go, you'll stay. Everyone who's ready to graduate will be rescued once the USS Christ docks at our port (the earth); everyone who's left behind will get one last final crash course in becoming worthy before they're allowed off the island. If they still don't make it in time, they're goin' down when the island sinks. Oh, did I forget to mention the island is slowly melting in a sea of entropy? I mean, lava? Sorry about that.

You asked why we think. We think because God wanted thinking beings to love and be loved by; of course he only wants people capable of love around him for all eternity, wouldn't you? Same with intelligence; without intelligence there is no free will, and no chance of true love. Intelligence also lets us teach each other things, doesn't it? Everything there is exists because without it, we couldn't be ideal companions. Everything is a means to that end, and life is just a... a machine, a rock tumbler polishing whatever gems choose to be polished. You only put pretty stones into a polisher, don't you, and throw the rest away? The ones that get polished are thus "saved," from the trash, because they're worthy of salvation. The only difference between you and a rock is that rocks don't have free will. They can't pick whether they're pretty or not. We can. And that is why we think. Without that ability, there'd be no meaning to life at all, and no point. Lucky us.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
We are here to crawl out of the mud.
To shake of the encrustation of foolish religions and man-made gods.
To realise we are already perfect.
To explore our divinity, having remembered that we are god.

This has nothing to do with religion faith or theology, so this thread is misplaced.
It's a metaphysical subject, no connection with tribal war-gods, or ancient superstition.

mistersmith.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Simply to Experience every moment.

Anything else is a man-made concept.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

Your purpose is different from the mechanism that allows you to have purpose. Do you make your hair grow? No, but you have a choice as to the style. Do you make your stomach digest? No, but you have a choice as to what you ingest. Do you provide the functioning of your body, senses, or mind? No, but you can use the tool of the body to produce an unlimited array of activities. You do two things to make your world. You think and move only. Beyond this, the purpose is what you create by will. The quality of the will determines the quality of life, but that quality is then governed by law. You do not make the sun shine, the Earth turn or the seasons change. You do, however, abide in their purpose as it applies to the larger community around you.

The purpose of life is suffering. Either you suffer toward a reward (like working a job), or you suffer as a result of taking reward (like smoking). Suffer the work of exercise and live longer. Take the reward of heavy eating and suffer health problems. It all depends on which direction you choose to suffer. Jesus modeled what it means to suffer for others toward ultimate reward. He did this by overcoming the law. Why is the law here to restrict us?

Galatians 3

23 Before the coming of this faith,[j] we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Suffering under the guardian is a teacher. The point is to discover God's will. What is God's will? Simple. Give and never take. Taking makes us a thief. Take reward (like smoking) and you suffer. Give suffering in the form of work for others and you gain reward. The will of God is to first earn what you give, then give what you have developed in life to others. God has done the same for us. He produces the life we have around us. We receive that production as the opportunity to copy the pattern. The point of life is to notice what God has done for us. Do the same for others and you have found the meaning.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Sex

To reproduce and multiply, it's that simple

I know many folk would like to think we have some form of higher purpose but we don't (think about this the next time you take a number 2).

But while we are here we may as well enjoy the ride and leave the world/existence a little better than we found it.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
In my opinion life is a natural mechanism of the universe. The more we look the greater the probability of life being everywhere. With that being the case then :

* Life is about survival and so we are here to ensure our children survive.
* They will have a better chance of survival if we enhance our lives.
* This becomes counterproductive when we impose on others in order to enhance ourselves. This is not immediatley obvious but studies show animal groups have a better chance of survival through cooperation not conflict.

Soooo, the purpose of life is to improve the lot of all mankind and all life on earth.

Bit of a bummer for some religious and political ideologies !

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

Nicely put.
If only we humans were born with the awareness that animals have something important to teach us.
Thank goodness they have the sense not to emulate our hubris.

mistersmith.

One day more : one day less.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

then why are we here for?

Why does there need to be a "why"? I think this is the biggest question missed my most people. We are here, we exist, there doesn't need to be a purpose, intention or "why".

This might make some people uncomfortable. That doesn't mean we need to fabricate meaning or design.

Once we get past the idea that something has a purpose for for us, we can be free to make our own reasons for living.

Mine is to live as happily as possible without harming others.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join