It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does composing a post on this forum eat my CPU? [Resolved..see OP]

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

jedi_hamster
still, newer or older version, it looks like the cpu usage during reply goes up

But not in safe mode. Once you find out what gets disabled in safe mode in Icedragon, then you can troubleshoot what the issue is.

We already know what gets disabled in safe mode in Firefox, and manually disabling things to troubleshoot solved the problem in Firefox.

My manual troubleshooting in Icedragon did not solve the problem, therefore, something else inside Icedragon is still running that gets disabled with safe mode.

jedi_hamster
the fact that fast enough cpu and optimized enough (new enough) firefox seem to lower the issue, doesn't mean that it isn't there. and if it affects mobile browsers as well, people willing to watch full version of this website on some tablets may have even bigger problem

I use the full website on my tablet and phone, and have no lag issues. People have also said that they have no CPU issues with IE or Chrome.

At this point, the issue still resides with Firefox, no matter how much people want to blame it on the site. With hardware acceleration disabled, my Firefox sits at 0% CPU usage. Before during replies, it was hovering around 15%-20%.

There are add-ons that also cause unnecessary resource usage, such as No-Script. I don't use any add-on that uses excessive resources. That's why my Firefox CPU usage stays close to 0%, and now during replies as well thanks to disabling hardware acceleration.

With all that said, since there are no issues with the mobile browsers I've tried, and people have said no issues with IE or Chrome, then lets stick to troubleshooting Firefox instead of blaming a website, shall we?

As a final note, disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox fixes this particular issue. If people are still having issues in Firefox after disabling hardware acceleration, then something else is causing the problem like an add-on like "No-Script".

Also, when people are troubleshooting any browser issue, it's best to have a fresh install of a browser to test with. That especially includes IE which is very susceptible to browser hijacks and malware.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

With all that said, since there are no issues with the mobile browsers I've tried, and people have said no issues with IE or Chrome, then lets stick to troubleshooting Firefox instead of blaming a website, shall we?

To be fair, people were reporting these issues with Firefox while on ATS alone.

Is it normal procedure to have to change Firefox settings for other websites too for it to run normally?

Just curious.

Btw, IE and Chrome are both Google products right?

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Moderation

IE is microsoft, chrome is google.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

BobAthome
here,,,

whomever is scripting the ADS here on ATS,,is eating CPU resourse's

please tell them to rescript there ADS To NOT default too video AND,,,sound.
its the processing of the sound script,, that is causing,,,,#.
especially these guys:

You just don't like to see starving africans admit it
---------------

I just quit using firefox when this was happening, it happened everywhere, not just ATS..

*The fix worked though when i tried it out on firefox, no problems now. Always can use an extra browser.*
edit on 2-11-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yes, off course, thank you.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Moderation

Really? What does this say:

...it happened everywhere, not just ATS..

Moderation
Is it normal procedure to have to change Firefox settings for other websites too for it to run normally?

See the articles in my post here. Those articles wouldn't need to have been written if there wasn't an issue with that setting.

And yes, I've had to disable that setting before for other websites, as well.

edit on 2-11-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

_BoneZ_

Moderation

Really? What does this say:

...it happened everywhere, not just ATS..

It says that said user was probably having a different issue because this is the only site I have problems with. I don't know how else to say it. Obviously it has to be something here that is conflicting with something in Firefox that works fine on every other site I use.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Is there anything different about the smilies used here? When I turn off images in QuickJava and hit reply, the smilies don't show and CPU is at 5%

When I turn images back on and reload, it goes back up.
edit on 2-11-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

BrianFlanders
It says that said user was probably having a different issue because this is the only site I have problems with.

Some people, including myself, visit far more sites than others. I'm sorry this is the only site you're having problems with, but several others including myself have had issues with other sites as well. And disabling hardware acceleration fixed the issue here and there. Hence why those articles I linked to in my other post were written.

BrianFlanders
Obviously it has to be something here that is conflicting with something in Firefox that works fine on every other site I use.

Again, not the case. Have you taken the time to actually read through this thread? Others have done tests with several browsers, and the issue is only showing up in Firefox.

Add on top of that, the issue only showed up within the past week or so.

BrianFlanders
When I turn images back on and reload, it goes back up.

I installed QuickJava (even though you can do the settings manually yourself) and I couldn't reproduce what you claimed.

I'll repeat again: Disabling hardware acceleration works for this issue. There are others in this thread, and my PM box, that have said it fixes the problem.

If you're still having issues after disabling hardware acceleration, then you have another add-on or extension causing it.

Or, you can try one of the other browsers that people have said don't experience the issue at all.

Those are the options.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

_BoneZ_

I installed QuickJava (even though you can do the settings manually yourself) and I couldn't reproduce what you claimed.

Well, I didn't just claim it. I saw it happen. More than once. If I switch to another tab with my task manager up, the CPU immediately drops to 2% and goes back up when I switch back to this one. If I turn off images and reload, the only thing I'm aware of that's missing on the reply screen is the smilies. Therefore, I conclude that there's something about them that causes something unusual with my system. If I scroll down to the bottom of the reply screen so the smilies and the reply box are no longer visible, the CPU goes down to nothing like clockwork.

I'll repeat again: Disabling hardware acceleration works for this issue. There are others in this thread, and my PM box, that have said it fixes the problem.

I know what you said but it doesn't work for me. It takes some of the load off the CPU but not all of it.

Look. I thought you guys would want to know if the site might possibly be causing problems for some people. I don't want to argue about it. So just forget about it. It's honestly not worth it. It doesn't cost me anything to ignore this problem and I don't post much here anyway.

edit on 2-11-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

smileys and ,im thinking,,,
,AD-S lots of ADS,,
all trying too tell u,, that u must,,"quick do this or that"
,,quack,,quack,,

now in stereo.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

BrianFlanders
It takes some of the load off the CPU but not all of it.

And see, there's your answer. On a fresh install of Firefox, disabling hardware acceleration made the CPU go back to around 0%. So, the solution worked for you.

Now, you have another add-on causing the rest of your CPU issue like I previously explained. It also doesn't cost anything to reset Firefox, or create a new profile so that you have a clean browser.

Just make sure to back up your bookmarks beforehand.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

TKDRL
reply to post by ChuckNasty

What stats are you talking about exactly that people should post?

Version of FF with add-on versions. Java update thingies. CPU and OS.... Stats...the general, run-of-the-mill stats..

Coding a site to cater EVERYONE isn't as easy as pie....pie isn't as easy as pie - ever try to make one?

Giving stats will enable the code junkies to replicate YOUR unique issue. *disclaimer: my computer issue with ATS is...well, there isn't one. Most of ALL ATS has no issue like yours. That what makes you and the people with similar stats unique.

...but that 'logic' and 'common knowledge' seems to be above your status? Dunno

Hope your issue gets resolved.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

I am going to assume your drunk mood is the reason that you came across sounding like a jerk there and not take that personally. Not everyone is a total computer nerd type. Just trying to help pin down the problem is all.

The firefox I used was the latest beta portable version, I personally didn't put any addons on it, no idea what addons mozilla might put in it. No clue where to look to see my java version.

This cover all the relevant stats that might help?
And for the record, baking a pie is way easier than dealing with computers

(post by Bonerz removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

TKDRL
Just trying to help pin down the problem is all.

My solution (also reported in the articles I linked to) fixes the particular problem that this thread was created about. Which other problem are you referring to?

(post by Boneheaddddz removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

People's logic amazes me at times... How can they fix...nvm. I am sorry for sounding like a prick in response to your lack of, or what seems like a lack of, simplest coding to work across multiple platforms. My bad. Edit-Just saw your baking pie statement...really sorry. Pie is hard for me to do.

I do notice that the crap load of smiles on the reply page might be a root cause.

Maybe the way they were scripted is conflicting with FF.

The 'fix' posted earlier is just a bandaid fix IMO. Doesn't fix the cause.

Final edit - Just realized I reminded myself of those SNL skits of the computer help guys. Really really sorry.

edit on 3-11-2013 by ChuckNasty because: as above

edit on 3-11-2013 by ChuckNasty because: android keyboard issue

edit on 3-11-2013 by ChuckNasty because: as above

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

ChuckNasty
The 'fix' posted earlier is just a bandaid fix IMO. Doesn't fix the cause.

May I ask how it's a bandaid when other browsers like IE, Chrome, and Android browsers are not experiencing the issue?

Forgive me for continuing to repeat myself here, but the articles I posted earlier wouldn't have been written if there weren't a problem with that particular Firefox setting, that is causing issues on this and other websites.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

If those were operating systems and not web browsers - would you advise people to modify their operating system just for ATS?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join