It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Police Chief Tries To Reform The System From Within

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is a police Chief I can get behind.

Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank, 46, was in charge of the eviction. But Burbank took a decidedly different approach from his counterparts in other cities who used aggressive, confrontational measures to oust their own Occupy encampments.

Burbank showed up at the camp and talked to the protesters, in some cases one on one. He explained that they'd need to start leaving the park at night, although they could come back during the day. He said that when the time came for them leave, they could do so peacefully, or they could choose to be arrested. He even asked them how they'd like their arrests to take place, in case they wanted the TV and newspaper cameras to photograph them giving themselves up for their cause.

Unconventional has been Burbank's modus operandi since he was appointed chief of police in 2006. Be it the drug war, immigration, or the handling of protests, Burbank's mantra to his officers is the same: Use the minimum amount of force necessary to resolve the situation. Or as Burbank puts it, "It's not can I do it, but should I do it?"

Many of you have read my many posts on what military tactics look like, how they are employed, WHY they are employed. I have always been of the mind that military tactics have no place on the streets of America. I have been looking for an example from SOMEWHERE in the various police forces around the US that understand they are not the military. They CANNOT do what we do and garner the respect of the population. Period. The military is for the battlefield, we are employed for combat operations against hostile forces. The American people are not, and will never be a hostile force unless the police make them hostile. If things don't change to reflect what this police chief is doing with his department then eventually people are going to start getting openly hostile.

We should DEMAND that all police forces employ similar tactics when dealing with Americans. Not just protesters, but everything from a traffic stop to a domestic violence call.

Situations need to be cooled down not heated. It seems that cops go out of their way to heat situations up just so they have an excuse to be badasses. Here we have a police chief that appears to understand his role. I hope to find more examples like him in the future.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Celebrate whistle blowers and rational, empathetic behavior.

Citizens should not be treated like enemy combatants.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

It takes a special type of person that can convey empathy and basic understanding. Training your police force to act in such a way is very difficult because most cadets have a predetermined disposition to act and the academy does not emphasize empathy..they are teaching you the basics to stay alive and how to deal with 5% of things that you will encounter...Good on this Chief...sadly other departments around the country will simply say that's great and nothing more..

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

projectvxn
This is a police Chief I can get behind.

Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank, 46, was in charge of the eviction. But Burbank took a decidedly different approach from his counterparts in other cities who used aggressive, confrontational measures to oust their own Occupy encampments.

Burbank showed up at the camp and talked to the protesters, in some cases one on one. He explained that they'd need to start leaving the park at night, although they could come back during the day. He said that when the time came for them leave, they could do so peacefully, or they could choose to be arrested. He even asked them how they'd like their arrests to take place, in case they wanted the TV and newspaper cameras to photograph them giving themselves up for their cause.

Unconventional has been Burbank's modus operandi since he was appointed chief of police in 2006. Be it the drug war, immigration, or the handling of protests, Burbank's mantra to his officers is the same: Use the minimum amount of force necessary to resolve the situation. Or as Burbank puts it, "It's not can I do it, but should I do it?"

Many of you have read my many posts on what military tactics look like, how they are employed, WHY they are employed. I have always been of the mind that military tactics have no place on the streets of America. I have been looking for an example from SOMEWHERE in the various police forces around the US that understand they are not the military. They CANNOT do what we do and garner the respect of the population. Period. The military is for the battlefield, we are employed for combat operations against hostile forces. The American people are not, and will never be a hostile force unless the police make them hostile. If things don't change to reflect what this police chief is doing with his department then eventually people are going to start getting openly hostile.

We should DEMAND that all police forces employ similar tactics when dealing with Americans. Not just protesters, but everything from a traffic stop to a domestic violence call.

Situations need to be cooled down not heated. It seems that cops go out of their way to heat situations up just so they have an excuse to be badasses. Here we have a police chief that appears to understand his role. I hope to find more examples like him in the future.

This leader of men has truly missed his calling. We need this man NOT as a police chief of one city but rather as a President of our Nation!

Anyone that is truly honest will acknowledge that as a country our Law Enforcement agents directly because of their actions aren't respected. When as a group they claim a right to execute a child because of a mistaken belief they held, there is a fundamental issue that needs to be addressed at a much higher level.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

It's a sad irony that violence against protesters in foreign countries gets more coverage in the US media than instances of the same sort of brutal tactics used against protesters in the US.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Nice to read about an chief like this. While it would be a shame to loose him, seems he could make a fortune being a consultant to departs all across the country. Lord knows they all need one like him.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Dav1d

while i may not agree that he should be president (that is much different than running a police squad), i can certainly agree with your sentiment that there is a trait he has that our elected official are sorely lacking in: a desire to serve. That is the key. Do you want to serve, or be served? One makes you worthy of public office, the other makes you worthy of nobility.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Dav1d

while i may not agree that he should be president (that is much different than running a police squad), i can certainly agree with your sentiment that there is a trait he has that our elected official are sorely lacking in: a desire to serve. That is the key. Do you want to serve, or be served? One makes you worthy of public office, the other makes you worthy of nobility.

I doubt this guy could be any worse than the Bushes or Obama.

At this point I have utter contempt for BOTH parties.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

crimvelvet

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Dav1d

I doubt this guy could be any worse than the Bushes or Obama.

At this point I have utter contempt for BOTH parties.

While you are right, that is simply just boiling it down to "which would suck less?".

That type of voting system hasn't done so well for us.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I would suggest that this man(?) shows a willingness to put his (pink?) body on the line. He shows a willingness to hear. A willingness not to use force to get your way.

I believe both American parties have damaged the nation, damaged our society.

I believe our country needs a healer, someone that can bring us back together once again. Rather than one who divides us, and our nation.

If you can think of someone that has demonstrated a willingness to listen great than this person, please please share it with me!

new topics

top topics

join