It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost 100 Nigerians die in the Sahara

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This story is sad, but the reason I am posting it is for other information in the article. A lot of posters on ATS claim that it is lack of development or capitalism that is making Africa a hellhole. I say that there are too many people in a freaking desert, as Sam Kinnison once said. According to the article Nigerians are trying to flee the country because they are dying from drought, starvation and poverty due to natural causes. I say they're dying because you can't support millions of people in a desert in the second poorest country on earth. Maybe if they all used birth control there would be enough water and food for them and this wouldn't have happened?

87 die in Niger after vehicle breakdowns strand them in Sahara desert

www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

CB328
This story is sad, but the reason I am posting it is for other information in the article. A lot of posters on ATS claim that it is lack of development or capitalism that is making Africa a hellhole. I say that there are too many people in a freaking desert, as Sam Kinnison once said. According to the article Nigerians are trying to flee the country because they are dying from drought, starvation and poverty due to natural causes. I say they're dying because you can't support millions of people in a desert in the second poorest country on earth. Maybe if they all used birth control there would be enough water and food for them and this wouldn't have happened?

www.cnn.com...

Sam's act was the first thing I thought of when I saw your title
"THIS IS SAND...YEAH...YOU CAN'T GROW ANYTHING IN IT!!!"
good stuff

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

the owlbear

CB328

www.cnn.com...

Sam's act was the first thing I thought of when I saw your title
"THIS IS SAND...YEAH...YOU CAN'T GROW ANYTHING IN IT!!!"
good stuff

Monsanto can if you all get off their backs for a minute.

But I suppose to many people, death is preferable to letting a corporation expand.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

CB328

www.cnn.com...

When I say this about all of the trailer dwellers in the mid-west during tornado season, they always say "where would I go?"

I think the same applies here.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Humans + 130 temps + Desert = Death. The real problem here is that this climate and that soil is not accommodating to human habitation, but the first world provides enough assistance to these nations that the population is increasing despite the inability of it's inhabitants to create an economy.

Not to sound harsh, but nature is telling these people to migrate elsewhere but we are giving them snacks in the desert so they just multiply. The healthy thing for this population would be to be reduced to the point where either the land can sustain them, they migrate away or they don't survive. I know in 2013 the last thing isn't proper morally, but Bill Gates sure thinks that population control and reduction in this part of the world is a key to our future survival...
edit on 31-10-2013 by Nowyouseeme because: Spelling correction...bugged me

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Cuervo

When I say this about all of the trailer dwellers in the mid-west during tornado season, they always say "where would I go?"

I think the same applies here.

Trailer dwellers need to keep their heads up out here, no doubt. Part of the problem is that most of them don't really pay attention to what the weather is and get caught although at night it gets much harder - that's what the emergency alert radios are for.

The really insane ones are the Okies. Unless you specifically squirrel away the $5,000 to have a storm capsule shelter sunk under your house, you almost certainly don't have a basement in Oklahoma because the ground is wrong for it. So, you storm plan is likely to either have a inner room or to watch the weather, try to judge where the tornado is and jump in your car and try to dodge it by driving away. Do you remember this past storm season when the twister was going through OKC? That's why the highways were such a mess. Everyone was playing dodge the tornado in a major metropolitan area.

As to this, Africa is just ... a mess. And I don't even pretend to know what the solutions are if any. Certainly it didn't help that the colonial powers drew lines on a map without respecting tribal divisions although I'm not sure if every tribe could realistically have expected their own mini-country.

And the way the continent is set up does not lend itself well to development.

So between a land mass that isn't set up well to encourage development (not saying it doesn't have its own riches, it's just not set up to promote the development of civilizations) and tribes warring over countries that forced enemies into sharing space ... yeah, it's not pretty.

new topics

top topics

join