It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Black Man At The Crossroads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Anybody ever made a deal with the black man at the crossroads? Does anybody know what the required services are? I mean if you have to murder, that'd sure put a chink in your fame and fortune especially if you got caught. I wonder if he's a trickster will he say I wanted to be a world renowned writer and bought a pen and pad and summoned him, would he be like a Jinn and just give me neater handwriting instead of the imagination and quality to write a novel instead? If you don't know what the Black Man At The Crossroads is, Here is a little description:

In Hoodoo lore, The Black Man At The Crossroads is a spiritual entity that, if the proper ritual is carried out, can magically bestow a skill or knowledge unto the seeker. The difference between meeting up with The Black Man and traditional demon-pacts of lore is primarily that The Black Man does not bestow material prosperity, only teaches and bestows skill or knowledge. The belief that one must forfeit one's soul to The Black Man is incorrect as well, and again arises from the mistaken equation of the The Black Man to the Biblical Satan. In some tales, The Black Man doesn't bestow his gift for free, that in return for his blessing he requires 7 years of service, but there is no lore about eternal damnation or the loss of a human soul in exchange.

From Here

I'm seriously considering doing this tonight just for a laugh, and mostly out of pure curiosity.Plus I'm running out of patience for a way to make a decent living and losing hope daily that I'll ever be able to get out of my sucky circumstances.

I thought this is the perfect topic for Halloween also, since the veil is thinner between the worlds.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Look up Robert Johnson the blues guitarist.
There is a movie (surprize I actually know a movie) called crossroads about this story.
It wasn't about Robert Johnson though.

en.wikipedia.org...

Robert Leroy Johnson (May 8, 1911 – August 16, 1938) was an American blues singer and musician. His landmark recordings from 1936–37 display a combination of singing, guitar skills, and songwriting talent that has influenced later generations of musicians. Johnson's shadowy, poorly documented life and death at age 27 have given rise to much legend, including the Faustian myth that he sold his soul at a crossroads to achieve success.

Johnson's records sold poorly during his lifetime. It was only after the reissue of his recordings in 1961 on the LP King of the Delta Blues Singers that his work reached a wider audience. Johnson is now recognized as a master of the blues, particularly of the Mississippi Delta blues style. He is credited by many rock musicians as an important influence; Eric Clapton has called Johnson "the most important blues singer that ever lived."[

edit on 31-10-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Yes I've read his story, but I still don't get many answers from it. He doesn't explain what if anything he gave to the crossroads man for those abilities. I think one story says his soul which I don't think correlates at all with the lore because they say specifically you don't have to give up your soul. That's what's confusing me, and making me doubt I should try it.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Was he the inspiration to the character in "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

7 years of service as payment... Make's one wonder what those 7 years entail.

Just a quick grammatical error ~ it's djinn not jinn just for future reference

While I always advise to stay away from this type of scenerio... I can't stop you...

If you are going to go through with this, even just for a laugh, make sure you do it at the "witching hour" tonight, if you have any chance of success it would be then.

If you hit fame and fortune.... Can I borrow 5 bucks???

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

I am not really sure...I stay away from movies as much as I can so I have never seen that one.
I have never even seen star wars.
i am surprised I knew about crossroads.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Personally, I would suggest that if you need to come to ATS to inquire if invoking the "man in black at the crossroads" is a good idea, I would highly recommend NOT doing so. Never mess with forces you don't understand, ever!

Then again, if you are already "6 feet under" what do you got to lose.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

sulaw

7 years of service as payment... Make's one wonder what those 7 years entail.

Just a quick grammatical error ~ it's djinn not jinn just for future reference

While I always advise to stay away from this type of scenerio... I can't stop you...

If you are going to go through with this, even just for a laugh, make sure you do it at the "witching hour" tonight, if you have any chance of success it would be then.

If you hit fame and fortune.... Can I borrow 5 bucks???

Sure You can borrow 500 bucks or even 5 thousand...lol.
I also wonder what if anything I should bring. I want to sing should I bring a microphone?
edit on 31-10-2013 by ldyserenity because: if not is

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
dethklok did it ands so can you.

Just read the fine print

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

dashen
dethklok did it ands so can you.

Just read the fine print

That's funny, their lawyer wasn't there? I'd have thought that one would always be with the devil seeing as how lawyers are one of the very prominently known to have places in Hell reserved for them. LOL

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Robert Johnson and a few others as well...

Bob Dylan

Eric Clapton

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

Is that proven fact, or just wild speculation?
Really I'm curious and dead serious cause if they're examples I am surely trying it!!!

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Anyone into demonology know if:

This "Black man at the crossroads" is the same being as Mephistopheles?

Could it also be the same being as "Rain man"?

Does he use the items you bring to him to create a spirit for the receiver, or does he possess you, or is it something else he is doing?

Is his ability different than that of Mephistopheles' or Rain man's?

Is he really even a demon or is he just a fallen one?

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

That was the movie that I thought about when I started reading the op.
edit on 31-10-2013 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Rosinitiate
Never mess with forces you don't understand, ever!

Then again, if you are already "6 feet under" what do you got to lose.

^Always good advice in my opinion and in my past experience
Very cool information though, you have some real solid nerves if you do this!

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

The legend says you have to let him tune your guitar. Bob Dylan was not considered a great guitar player early in hIs career...

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Just legends, rumors and speculations but Robert Johnson is legendary which is what he wanted... Bob Dylan and slow hand as well...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I chickened out...I watch too much Supernatural...the idea of hell hounds coming after me and ripping out my throat is too unpleasant. I know it's just TV and made up...but we really have no idea, do we?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Bleeeeep

Was he the inspiration to the character in "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"

No.

Tommy Johnson was a real person, and the Robert Johnson legend is derived from the Tommy Johnson legend.

However, the song he plays in the movie, "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues" is a Skip James song.

Robert Johnson wrote a song called "Cross Road Blues", that is all.

Tommy Johnson was the one that made the deal at the crossroads (some versions of the story say "graveyard at midnight").

en.m.wikipedia.org...(blues_musician)
edit on 8-11-2013 by applesthateatpeople because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Crossroads, with Ralph Macchio and Jamie Gertz, is about Robert Johnson.
With a twist. I cannot find the full extended version of this clip, but it's the best part of the whole movie.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join