It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Injured By K-9 Officer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
So, in Brazil, IN there was a mock drug raid in a 5th grade classroom. Complete with dogs AND planted evidence. Things went bad when one of the kids got a little nervous when the dog was sniffing him and got bit.

TextAccording to the report, the officer and his K-9 partner, Max, as well as another K-9 team were requested by Clay County Superior Court Judge J. Blaine Akers to carry out a simulated raid of a party with actors in place to help "educate the Clay County fifth-graders on drug awareness." He added the juveniles in the scenario met with officers prior to the start and were asked to remain still when the dogs searched for narcotics. McQueen said a very small amount of illegal drugs were hidden on one of the juveniles to show how the dogs can find even the smallest trace of an illegal substance. He added all this was done "under exclusive control and supervision of members of the court and law enforcement." Four scenarios were carried out that day with the incident occurring during the third scenario. "As I got closer to the actors, Max began searching the juveniles," according to the officer's report. "The first male juvenile began moving his legs around as Max searched him. When the male began moving his legs, (this is what) I believe prompted Max's action to bite the male juvenile on the left calf."

You would think they would call it quits when the kid got bit, but no! They kept on going!! Disgusting!

If I was this kids' parent(or any other kid involved) I would be beyond outraged! What did this boy's mom say?

Text"(The mother) was very calm and polite," the officer's reported stated. "She asked me what had happened and I explained exactly as I have here in my report. She replied with 'it's OK, accidents happen.' She stated that her son was very tough and everything would be fine."

Really? He's tough and he will be fine?!?

I live in Indiana(no where near this county) and I think I am going to write this school a letter. Why in the world do 5th graders need to be exposed to "drug party" scenarios? Was this pre-approved by the parents?

So many questions...

www.thebraziltimes.com...

edit on 30-10-2013 by nikkib0421 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Stupid question but was the officer arrested by his fellow officers for assault? Did the other officers unload on the dog? Mkay.
Firepiston

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Had this been real the fifth grader would have been shot to death the dog pepper sprayed and probably. more kids either shot or sprayed.I'm so suprised this didn't happen any ways so sad poor boy just trying to help

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
sounds like some conditioning being put into to place...got to start young you know...those pesky kids need to learn the law and how to act around peace officers......pretty sad what happened to the good old fashioned drug bus and a video?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Yet anothef show of incompetent police, looks like that even when the cops are doing they think is harmless somebody gets hurt. Kinda suprised they didnt pull out the taser and tase the poor kid for moving his legs and making the dog bite him. And then to keep on going is just rediculious. There is a video of an officer that shoots himself in the foot while teaching kids about gun saftey
www.youtube.com...
The amount of stupidity just amazes me sometimes, and listen to what he says just one second before he shoots himself with an "UNLOADED "gun.
edit on 10/06/12 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed
sounds like some conditioning being put into to place...got to start young you know...those pesky kids need to learn the law and how to act around peace officers......pretty sad what happened to the good old fashioned drug bus and a video?

Yep.

Elementary school? I might see high school but I suppose they might actually find too many "extra" drugs.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

FirePiston
Stupid question but was the officer arrested by his fellow officers for assault? Did the other officers unload on the dog? Mkay.
Firepiston

Why would they arrest the officer or shoot the K9 officer?
When a cop shoots someone, have you ever heard of the other cops shooting the cop that shot the person?
Ever?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
What incredibly poor judgement. Whoever approved it should be scrutinized. I'm pretty irritated with admins in the police department who signed off on this, the cops involved and the K-9 officer. Those dogs are incredibly well trained, but they are also incredibly sensitive, and have been known to bite. When they're on the job they are very different and more a weapon than dog. Having them sniff out drugs on children that age just seems amazingly dumb. Also I would expect the K-9 officer to be a little more in tune with the dog, and be able to tell if a kid was nervous.

Planting drugs on a child? I get that this would actually probably be a really fun exercise for a kid to see or be a part of, but again use some common sense. Give the drugs to the teacher or a faculty member. Not a child, children are squirmy, even at that age, and police dogs don't like squirmy.

Now after all that I don't think the mother should sue the police department, and it sounds like she's been a real class act about the whole thing. I approve of suing if it's done to affect change, but in this case I'm sure the department is going to be changing policy very quickly and probably had a rather large bowel evacuation. I am almost positive that my parents would have been angry, but also understand crap happens and would have rallied for the dog but insisted on new policy. That's what I would do personally. That's how I would have felt as a kid too.

I really hope they don't destroy the dog.

It doesn't sound like this was a quick nip if it took awhile to get the dog off and the kid needed surgery (not sure if the surgery is accurate, read it in the comments). I don't know if I would call it a minor injury.

new topics

top topics

join