Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

A Chip In The Head: Brain Implants Will Be Connecting People To The Internet By The Year 2020

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I think this is inevitable. I also think those in power will abuse this. It's not a big secret or conspiracy that there's people in power that see an advantage at being able to control the behavior of others.

Would you like to surf the Internet, make a phone call or send a text message using only your brain? Would you like to “download” the content of a 500 page book into your memory in less than a second? Would you like to have extremely advanced nanobots constantly crawling around in your body monitoring it for disease? Would you like to be able to instantly access the collective knowledge base of humanity wherever you are?

Right now, there are approximately 100,000 people around the world that have implants in their brains. Most of those are for medical reasons.

This new project is being called the Systems-Based Neurotechnology for Emerging Therapies (SUBNETS), and the goal is to be able to monitor the “mental health” of soldiers and veterans. The following is how a recent CNET article described SUBNETS…

SUBNETS is inspired by Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS), a surgical treatment that involves implanting a brain pacemaker in the patient’s skull to interfere with brain activity to help with symptoms of diseases like epilepsy and Parkinson’s. DARPA’s device will be similar, but rather than targeting one specific symptom, it will be able to monitor and analyse data in real time and issue a specific intervention according to brain activity.

This kind of technology is being developed by the private sector as well. In fact, according to Scientific American scientists are becoming increasingly excited about how brain implants can be used to “reboot” the brains of people with depression…

Psychological depression is more than an emotional state. Good evidence for that comes from emerging new uses for a technology already widely prescribed for Parkinson’s patients. The more neurologists and surgeons learn about the aptly named deep brain stimulation, the more they are convinced that the currents from the technology’s implanted electrodes can literally reboot brain circuits involved with the mood disorder.

Link

SUBNETS sounds a little like Skynet. If they can alter a persons mood, can they create a persons mood?

I think this is just an extension of human evolution. Eventually our brains will not be fast enough to process all of this information. Humans with brain chips will just do things faster and more efficiently than those without brain chips.

Imagine a day when a artificial arm is better than a real one. It can lift more without you getting tired and it could be hooked up to the internet. People will volunteer to get their arms cut off for these new, more efficient arms.

Does this mean abuse will follow? Of course.

It will be too easy to monitor and control people in this situation. Imagine being able to program when a person eats and how much they eat. Imagine the cheap labor when people can work for hours without getting tired. Individuality will be thrown out of the window and a monolithic society controlled by the "Programmers" might be the future of humanity or should I say Robo-Sapien.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

In fact, according to Scientific American scientists are becoming increasingly excited about how brain implants can be used to “reboot” the brains of people with depression…

Yikes !!!

I'd hate to have that thing malfunction !!

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
You got it backwards. People will be the internet.

The foundation has already planned out its timeline for getting to a fully holographic human, and claims it will be ready to upload a mind into a computer by 2015

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... -immortal-2045.html#ixzz2jEre456G Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
While I'm all for this and think it will be absolutely stellar such we might even be able to download dreams, record them in detail and trade them, or even have 'multiplayer' shared dreams.

It'll be nice to see how far interfaces like these go, and if ever we get to a point where we can actually program ourselves with skills and proficiencies of languages, and anything else.

I certainly look forward to people downloading and installing complete understanding of reason and logic, as well as oratory and debate.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Talk about stepping into the "Shadowrun" era... Seems very scary.

If you can download information what prevents information from corrupting the chip or worse... Think virus...

I'm not sure i'm liking this....

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
When people are sick or have been diagnosed with serious illnesses it can be easy to accept a chip which monitors their condition. Cancer patients and nanobots searching tumours or unusual tissues. For Diabetes they are allready searching how to stop pricking fingers to measure bloodglucose with nano-chip
Diabetes Nano chip
Tho atm it looks like its not well thought out to be "advanced" system. I must admit i totally approve nanotechnology which would not alter your brains or give chemicals or hormones which could be missused by some corporation, when system is only for monitoring and helping the patients life to be a little bit easier.
But im against technology like internet in your brains as that is not exactly necessary, sure that would make people a little ( or a lot ) more intelligent as the data is not really theirs.
edit on 30-10-2013 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

This new project is being called the Systems-Based Neurotechnology for Emerging Therapies (SUBNETS), and the goal is to be able to monitor the “mental health” of soldiers and veterans. The following is how a recent CNET article described SUBNETS…

Orly?

Sounds like the first step to creating will-less, unquestioning cyborg soldiers.

Stop enlisting, people... you are already treated like # then discarded like a used napkin when the government is through with you. Next stop is becoming a mindless biological automaton, compelled to do the will of your masters without question nor thought.

edit on 10/30/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
There goes our life expectancy, productivity, and the world economy! People can't walk down the street now without looking down at their cell phones! How many people are surfing the net now when they should be working? Now we'll see people standing still looking like they're in a trance state.
With all the car accidents and deaths that can be contributed to texting while driving, we can probably expect to see a new reality of daily car demolitions on our roads and highways.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I've thought about this a lot and have come to the conclusion that not only is it a good thing but it is inevitable. I believe that the next stage of human evolution will not be internal but external.

Through a combination of genetic manipulation and technology, the human species will ascend to the next level on our evolutionary scale.

I imagine this technology is one of the next steps. I think it will be similar to a cell phone but simply implanted in your body in the form of a very small chip or whatever. If it malfunctions or anything it will have no effect on you personally, just like if your cell phone dies. Basically, it won't be hard-wired into you where someone can plant a virus in your brain but it will allow you to remotely access any search engine, give you unlimited memory.....and all that stuff.

The effects of this technological leap will be vast. It will separate the human species into two distinct classes...those who have the technology and those who don't. It would be similar to you going back in time and holding a debate with Isaac Newton while you have access to your current cellphone.

You could easily out debate one of the most brilliant men in our history just due to your access to information. Colleges will become almost unnecessary as a place to gain knowledge and there only use will be to teach perhaps critical thinking skills. If you don't have this technology you will not be able anywhere within society.

Kind of like the matrix where any information you need is instantly sent into you. You could do most any type of math as fast as your brain can input the figures, you could know how to fly a helicopter without ever having been in one, you would know the steps required to perform the most complex brain surgeries. The only thing missing will be the practical applications that only comes with experience.

Still, it will put some people far beyond the capabilities of others. Eventually though, everyone will have this implemented in their bodies and I think its a great thing.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The Ford Model T of the Matrix. What can be sent, can be received...willingly or unwillingly.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Adverts straight into your brain, what a wonderful idea! Pop ups are already annoying enough, imagine them all the time in your mind. The day before this ever happens will be the last day I surf the net.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well if the government can pick out a target for a drone to destroy by a cell signal, we could throw out the cell! If it is planted in our head we could......... rip off our head??

link   
Intel Corp is already doing future research into making an implantable brain-chip that can control computers through thought and they are aiming for 2020 as well so I'm not surprised by this at all.

I'd definitely get one too. It's basically one step closer to telepathy, but with machines.

link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

I saw this the beginning of this technology on through the wormhole.

Kind of like the matrix where any information you need is instantly sent into you. You could do most any type of math as fast as your brain can input the figures, you could know how to fly a helicopter without ever having been in one, you would know the steps required to perform the most complex brain surgeries. The only thing missing will be the practical applications that only comes with experience.

The Scientist was talking about implanting other people's memories into someone else's brain in order to learn a new skill. So, you can download medical school, residency and carrying out heart surgery into someones brain who never did any of these things.

This is what technology can do. Shorten time. I remember how hot dogs would have to cook longer to make sure they were cooked. Today we get them pre cooked and can throw them in the microwave for a few seconds. I was watching a movie where it took days to send people a telegram, today we can send an instant text to a cell phone.

Imagine going through medical school and carrying out heart surgery in 5 minutes vs. 20 years. You go in, sit down, the information is downloaded and 5 minutes later you're a Doctor.

If a Doctor performing surgery has a specific network of neurons firing and you can implant that pattern in someone else's brain and they have that memory, that would be amazing. That would mean our brains use the same network of neurons to form the same or similar memories.

It would be amazing to me if our memories are monolithic in the way they're processed. In other words, if I bring in 2 test subjects and I tell the 1st test subject to think about Halle Berry while I'm mapping his brain. I then give a list to the 2nd test subject of 5 actresses and I'm blind to the order of the list. He then marks on the computer everytime he thinks of an actress on the list. I can then tell by the 1st subjects pattern when the 2nd subject is thinking of Halle Berry. Could every memory have a different pattern of neural activity but that activity is the same with every human. So when two people think about Walter White on Breaking Bad, the same neural activity occurs.

They could literally read peoples thoughts. Could they read people minds who are about to kill someone? Would we share the same neural activity when thinking about murder? How would you know when someone is thinking about murder on their favorite TV show vs someone whose actually thinking about murdering someone?

I guess more research and mapping the brain while begin to answer these questions.
edit on 30-10-2013 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
How can they be so optimistic about such technology when they're not even close to replicating human brain power in their computers? Yet they believe they can establish a safe and effective interface between our gray matter and our devices?

Take a few pinches of salt with this, folks. Don't get your hopes up just yet.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It may not be possible for a very long time but I think the point is that it will happen one day. Unless human society totally rejects technology and its advancement this will be a reality one day.

Add this to advances in gene manipulation where disease is eradicated, everyone can have the perfect health and you now have an advanced species over what we currently exist as.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You don't have to replicate human brain power to implant a chip in the brain. It's already been done.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

KBadger
Adverts straight into your brain, what a wonderful idea! Pop ups are already annoying enough, imagine them all the time in your mind. The day before this ever happens will be the last day I surf the net.

Funny you should say this.

watch and weep, for it is where we are headed because mankinds' greed knows no bounds.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by occrest

If you mean people sitting through a total "B" movie with a bunch of washed up, once great actors, I would agree with you.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
There's a book called "Feed" everyone should read. Can't remember the author. But I read it about 13 years ago and it's about this exact thing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join