It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

examinations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Hi.
I was just wondering how many people think the current form of examining pupils, at all levels of education, is majorly flawed.
I am in my 3rd year of an Electronic and Electrical Engineering degree and even now I notice that things are pretty poor.
We are given exams as in school and as usual instead of challenging the student with problems relating to the topic, they simply repeat the same form of question year after year.
This means that people who have poor problem solving skills can memorize the last couple of years past papers and get great marks. However when it comes to group work, fundamental principles (which they should have picked up from these classes) and minor problems, leave them baffled. This is not fair on anyone, especially the people thinking they are doing great, when in fact they�ve just memorized a few pages of Maths steps.
I understand that what we learn at university is more a means for employers to see that we can learn, rather than actually having that much effect on our careers, but am just curious to hear others opinions on the matter.
The worst part is that I find myself doing it sometimes and that frustrates me. I�m not here to memorize, but if it means I can spend more time doing more enjoyable things and still get a good mark, how can I be blamed, I�m only human�

new topics

join