It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Biological Attack in Syria? Polio Outbreak After Widespread Immunizations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The World Health Organization has confirmed a polio outbreak in Syria, just over 2-1/2 years after a widespread immunization campaign against the disease. ( BBC News Report

Before Syria's civil war began in 2011, some 95% of children were vaccinated against the disease.

It is interesting to note that while polio is not considered an effective biological weapon, work was done in 2002 with the polio virus.

highlighted last year by a worrying article in Science: a research team at the State University of New York in Stony Brook chemically synthesized an artificial polio virus from scratch (Cello et al., 2002). They started with the genetic sequence of the agent, which is available online, ordered small, tailor-made DNA sequences and combined them to reconstruct the complete viral genome. In a final step, the synthesized DNA was brought to life by adding a chemical cocktail that initiated the production of a living, pathogenic virus.

this virus is apparently relatively easy to make and "Considering the extreme danger that smallpox poses to a now largely unvaccinated human population, it seems at least questionable to make the smallpox sequence available on the World Wide Web." Source

This recent outbreak is exclusively in the Deir Ezzor province of Syria, an area where there is heavy fighting between the Syrian Government and Jabhat al-Nusra, Al- Qaeda fighting forces. Fighting in Deir Ezzor Province

So, while there are other possible explanations for this outbreak, it seems more than coincidental that in an area where al-Qaeda is fighting, a group not known for any high regard to human life, there is an outbreak of an easy to manufacture, biological agent that has a huge degree of anonymity and "other" explanations for its possible cause.

Polio would go far toward putting the brakes on any fighting and give someone more time to gain some serious ground imho.

What say you ATS?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Saw this on the RSOE rss feed a couple of days ago, but didn't think of it in the way you presented. Interesting to say the least.

Raises quite a few questions.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Very interesting proposal. I would be highly skeptical of this not being manufactured to do just what you are saying. If this is the case and it does come back to any outside nation doing this, this would be a HUGE incentive for a war.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Chamberf=6
Saw this on the RSOE rss feed a couple of days ago, but didn't think of it in the way you presented. Interesting to say the least.

Raises quite a few questions.

I agree that it does raise quite a few questions. In my mind it seems highly suspect.. too much when you put it all together says this may not have been a natural outbreak.

Granted, natural is still possible, but it almost seems too coincidental given all the circumstances.
edit on 30-10-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Vasa Croe
Very interesting proposal. I would be highly skeptical of this not being manufactured to do just what you are saying. If this is the case and it does come back to any outside nation doing this, this would be a HUGE incentive for a war.

My question is would they even check to see if it was a manufactured strain? I am not sure they would, in a civil war in what is often seen as an underdeveloped nation that wont necessarily be the first thing you might think of.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
As was mentioned, Syria routinely vaccinated it's children up until a couple of years ago.
Therefore the polio virus will only affect quite young children who haven't been vaccinated.
I would be surprised if these young children would have any impact whatsoever on the fighting abilities of either side.

Given that there are a lot of fighters being brought in from countries like Pakistan where polio is endemic means that the poor kids are destined to get it.

Aside from the warring, this highlights to me just how easily a dangerous disease can gain momentum by a slip in vaccinations.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Pardon?

As was mentioned, Syria routinely vaccinated it's children up until a couple of years ago.
Therefore the polio virus will only affect quite young children who haven't been vaccinated.
I would be surprised if these young children would have any impact whatsoever on the fighting abilities of either side.

Given that there are a lot of fighters being brought in from countries like Pakistan where polio is endemic means that the poor kids are destined to get it.

Aside from the warring, this highlights to me just how easily a dangerous disease can gain momentum by a slip in vaccinations.

To be honest that is the first line of thinking that comes to mind isn't it?

Of course, when you figure in the only area hit by the polio outbreak is one where some of the worst fighting is with al-Qaeda at the current time it raises the eyebrow,

No, it will have NO physical effect upon the fighters but it will have effect on the fighting. Save the Children is asking for a cease fire so they can go in and vaccinate the children who have yet to be vaccinated.

The aid group Save the Children urged a “vaccination cease-fire” to try to prevent an epidemic of the highly contagious disease.
Link

That does have effect on the fighting. This potentially buys time to regroup, resupply, and even gain ground silently.

I am not discounting the possibility of this being natural, I am just saying natural may not be the sole possibility.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
A couple of thoughts on this:

1. Polio is endemic to one of the other heavily Islamic nations (it's either Afghanistan or Pakistan, I forget exactly). If the Syrian rebels have put out a call to the faithful, then it's very easy to see one or more of those fighters coming in infected and being the possible initial source of infection. Those countries do not routinely vaccinate, and in fact the Taliban has recently banned vaccination..

2. On what numbers do we base Syria's 95% vaccination rate? We know that roughly that same percent of the population used to love to vote for Saddam Hussein, too. So, how reliable is that report that 95% of Syria's children are vaccinated. I'll bet that nowhere near 95% of America's children are vaccinated, for example.

So based on those two things, while I'm not saying that it's impossible to see someone engineering polio specifically to attack the local population, I would also see it as plausible that this could have spread naturally through the natural movements of fighters into a war torn area suffering from all the breakdowns common to a war. Look at the cholera outbreak in Haiti still going on after all this time, and that was started due to conditions caused by an earthquake.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
thats what happens when the big boys step in and take way there Bio wepeons,,,they try too do it on there own,, and this is what happens.
"Children should not play with dead things.",,might become a ghost town yet.someone is trying hard.
but why go after the kids again?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Could be just a junk vaccine unlike the one that was administered back in the 50s that IMO actually worked.

Vaccine-Caused Polio on the Rise

Another fact that may surprise you is that the vaccine itself is the source of newer cases of this disease. At the same time that world health officials are declaring a victory on polio in India, they are calling a global meeting in Switzerland on the problem of vaccine-caused polio.

The problem is that while the oral vaccine has reined in wild polio, the wild virus is being replaced by vaccine-derived polio virus (VDPV), which causes acute flaccid paralysis. (Health officials don't call it polio because it isn't "wild.") The international meeting, organized by the World Health Organization (WHO) in collaboration with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Japanese Ministry of Health, is scheduled for May 30-June 1, 2012, in Geneva, Switzerland.

www.mercola.com...

www.cdc.gov...
Is polio still a disease seen in the United States?

The last cases of naturally occurring paralytic polio in the United States were in 1979, when an outbreak occurred among the Amish in several Midwestern states. From 1980 through 1999, there were 162 confirmed cases of paralytic polio cases reported. Of the 162 cases, eight cases were acquired outside the United States and imported. The last imported case caused by wild poliovirus into the United States was reported in 1993. The remaining 154 cases were vaccine-associated paralytic polio (VAPP) caused by live oral poliovirus vaccine (OPV).

VAPP is called that because it is not the wild virus.. Don't matter those infected suffer the same...
47,500 paralysis cases after polio vaccine – Deccan Chronicle
therefusers.com...

◾April 14, 2012
www.deccanchronicle.com...
Cases of non-polio acute flaccid paralysis, better known as AFP, has sharply increased with the increase in the administration of oral polio vaccination (OPV) in the country under the much-acclaimed polio eradication programme.

According to a report by Dr. Neetu Vashisht and Dr. Jacob Puliyel, appearing in the April-June issue of the Indian Journal of Medical Ethics, the incidence of non-polio AFP had gone up by 12 times over and above the normal rates with the onset of the administration OPV 10 years ago. The report appeared at a time when Kerala is getting prepared for another round of OPV on April 15.

search.yahoo.com...=A0oG7l42kHFSC1kA_3tXNyoA;_ylu=X3o'___'E0NG1sZGZvBHNlYwNzcgRwb3M'___'kEY29sbwNhYzIEdnRpZANWSVAzMjlfMQ--/SIG=1430gq0lu/EX P=1383202998/**http%3a//socioecohistory.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/india-paralysis-cases-soar-after-oral-polio-vaccine-introduced/

Dr. Neetu Vashisht and Dr. Jacob Puliyel of St. Stephens Hospital created the report after analyzing data from India’s 10-year-old National Polio Surveillance Project, which is available online. Their findings, which were published in the Indian Journal of medical Ethics, revealed that rates of non-polio acute flaccid paralysis (NPAFP) have increased 1200% since the oral polio vaccine was introduced to India a decade ago.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Japanese Ministry of Health,,,im out,,,really the " Japanese Ministry of Health,",,the same Radiation is not real, bunch??? Japanese Ministry of Health,,,,dont they have kids in japan too worry about??? Japanese Ministry of Health,

sorry ranted.

top topics

join