It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Survival: Big City vs. Small Town

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I was just sort of wondering to myself when you boil down everything, is life better in a big city or a small town? Growing up in a big city, it seems more and more like the place one might want to get out of. We now have cameras on every street corner, plus cameras along the major streets secured to light posts. My guess is they track license plates. But I'm sure they could quickly double as speed traps or red light cameras if they ever wanted to do that. That's just one of so many strange things that it's a bit alarming.

I talked in another post about how the water is completely contaminated. I bought a bottle of spring water today and ya, it was way more tasty, no chemicals and flouride in it. I'm gonna only use that for drinking and cooking from now on, after I found out what kind of poisons I had been drinking. And that's just the minor thigns, there's A LOT of other major things, I've noticed, I'm not gonna mention.

Plus the peace and harmony of smaller place could be nice. Although potentially lack of opportunity, jobs, privacy, relationships, could be a potential problem in a small town. But just the way things are going in north america, if you don't want to leave the country and start over somewhere completely new where the laungage and customs are very different, the other option might just be to move to a small town, thinking in terms of survival mode and in terms of factoring in how the nwo seems to be showing up mostly in big cities first.

I guess it also depends a lot on age, family, job etc etc. But still if you could choose what's best and why?

Anyway what do you think???

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Hmmm, I would choose the city, I currently live on a road with about 4 other houses, and though I enjoy my privacy, the people here are nuts, and if I could afford to be back to my hometown I would do it in a heartbeat.

But this isnt for everyone, some love the city, and some the country

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

It all depends. If your in a big city flipping burgers. Your in the wrong place, without a question. If you have a career and no family, and have the financial resources to enjoy all the things most big cities have to offe great place to be.

I would rather live in a city with 200k population or less. You don't have to spend 3 hours of your day in trafiic. Wait in long lines, at restraunts, bars, concerts, grocery store, mall, movies,etc. Flip side instead of just seeing hordes of complete strangers everyday, you see less people but friendlier faces.

No crips and bloods or whatever the hood calls themselves now.

No ones gonna charge you a quarter for extra sauce or some junk like that.

Did I mention not being stuck in traffic for hours everyday?
Possibly wasting entire years of your life being in traffic?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

we have 1 million people and we don't have traffic jams. Maybe 1% of the time, and even then they don't last. Yout not "stuck in traffic", you're slowed by maybe 50% but again that's only 1% of the time you drive. And I can get to the other side of the city in 30 minutes easy. Only the major major citys have those monster traffic jams, the mid sized like mine isn't that bad.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Well thats good. Traffic was the worst part for me.
Homes and property are a lot cheaper. For some reason rent is absurdly expensive whether your in the city or the sticks.
Gas is cheaper.

My dogs are free to roam around my property, I can have 50 ppl over and have a bonfire, without being hassled.
I have my own well water here so I don't have your chemical water problems although I've drank enough city water that's not issue for me. I dont have water or trash bill, I recycle a lot and get paid instead, use the rest for compost. I've really been thinking about making my own solar panels, and a small wind turbine, just to give being a paying member of society one more middle finger.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
i enjoy the country life now but i did enjoy the city life when i was younger all that noise etc i used to enjoy but now i would last a day at most .

i went from a town of less than 2000 to a city [ london ]of millions and loved it and every city i stayed in since then but these days i stay back home and i am as happy as could be got a good fishing river 5 minutes from the door and less than 3000 people to bother me .

happy as larry
in the sticks

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
if you move to a small town, then how would you meet a girl that's the only problem

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

spartacus699
if you move to a small town, then how would you meet a girl that's the only problem

thats why god invented sheep and wellies
j/k try plenty o fish

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by geobro

No you go to the local pub, you walk up the girl with the high cut jean shorts cow boy boots and a piece of hay in her mouth, you say "hey bestsy can I buy you a cold one and tell you how you can improve your crop yeild? then after we'll head on over to the pasture, collect cow pies and go cow tipping ok"

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Small towns are cool and all, but I'd rather be in a city.

I have about 4 stores within 3 blocks that I can buy stuff from at any time (better than driving to wal mart).
Public transit can get me to any point in the city in about an hour.
There is a lot more to do on weekends/free time as well.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It's simple really, if your single no family the city is where you need to be, more opportunities to advance yourself.

Once you start a family get to the smaller towns. Gets your kids away from the city schools.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I grew up in a small town,it had one red light.I always met girls when I was least expecting it.Usually at a store or walking down the street.Small town girls are extremly loyal too!

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

crazyeddie68

Small town girls are extremly loyal too!

I don't know, I lived in a small town for a bit, met a few of the local girls - thought they were a bit...crazy

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I've lived in some bigger cities (Calgary, Winnipeg) and I've lived on a farm with no neighbor for 1 mile and I now live in a small town (less than 1000 people).

I would rather live here and wish I had grown up here.

Everything that I need or could want is less than 15 mins away or located right in town.

I don't worry about water, I work in the water treatment plant.

There is nothing (barring a midnight Whopper) that I miss or would need from a big city.

There is more security in a small town. More comradeship. People watch out for everyones children.

I see zero downside to living in a small community.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

spartacus699

You go to the city and poach a girl.

Bring em back to the small town to get some fresh DNA in the mix!

Seriously, lots of families in town where I live are related. No one dates eachother here. Everyone has married someone from out of town or is dating someone from the bigger town 10 miles away.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

mikeone718

crazyeddie68

Small town girls are extremly loyal too!

I don't know, I lived in a small town for a bit, met a few of the local girls - thought they were a bit...crazy
Can't argue with that.My first wife stabbed me with a steak knife once.She had a bit of a drinking problem.Sorry if off topic OP.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Well i have lived in the zones I call em, big city, medium city, small town. In the country.

Without a doubt the safest is in the country. Just go in reverse order for safety. Now as far as the water, just because you bought bottle water does not make it safe. It is not regulated and many times it comes right from the tap. You read about it just about every week, driver caught filling his water bottles in the back of his house with the water hose.

Won't often hear me say we need more regulation which means more government, but this one area that does need more oversight and regulations.

I am lucky I live in country but sad cus i have i have city water. I need someone knowledgeable to teach me how to safely store this water and keep it from growing green slime. That is issue for me here.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

superman2012

I've lived in some bigger cities (Calgary, Winnipeg) and I've lived on a farm with no neighbor for 1 mile and I now live in a small town (less than 1000 people).

I would rather live here and wish I had grown up here.

Everything that I need or could want is less than 15 mins away or located right in town.

I don't worry about water, I work in the water treatment plant.

There is nothing (barring a midnight Whopper) that I miss or would need from a big city.

There is more security in a small town. More comradeship. People watch out for everyones children.

I see zero downside to living in a small community.

I agree. I wish I had more land and were more secluded, I do have neighbors but not super close. Closest is two or three acres a way. But honest kind of nice, he has girl little younger than granddaughter I am raising so they have someone if things were bad. He is also younger and stronger and is very good woodsman and has good weapons cache.

Better still his father has the twenty to thirty-five acres that wraps around his and the land is full of cattle and such. The whole area is that way, little farms with chicken and cattle and such. Plus the town that is near is small. For me it is plus cus folks are nice and sense of family etc.

I know water will be a problem, you work for water treatment but if something bad happens and we lose electric for example you won't have that option for long. In that sense it is always better to be somewhat isolated, if no other reason than safety.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I spent my entire life living within the Los Angeles area but grew up in a small suburban section of L.A. bordering the Angeles National Forest so I can somewhat say I have the experience of both worlds.

The highly populated areas offer more economic and social opportunities. If you are younger and trying to get established, the big city is the way to go. It's also easier to meet people of the opposite sex. The best thing about the city in my opinion is the anonymity and it goes real well with being young, single, and somewhat irresponsible. The trade off is the crime, pollution, high cost of living, traffic, and sheer amount of annoying people.

Small towns are quiet and offer a truer sense of community. Older, established, or family people would benefit the most from rural areas. It's quiet, clean, and safe. The problems is that where I came from, there were few jobs and they were usually agriculture or equestrian related. The thing I hate the most about smaller communities is that everyone knows who you are. Gossip is a killer and it is very easy to get caught up. An indiscretion at age 15 will carry on for life. Small towns also breed corruption that would make Chicago politicians proud.

In a shtf scenario, metro Los Angeles, or any large populated area, is the absolute worst place to be. It's not impossible but being surrounded by millions of desperate people is not a good thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
In 2011, I went from a university town of about 50,000 people to a small town "in the middle of nowhere" with about a tenth of that population. It has taken some adjusting to -- we have a grocery and a couple of restaurants, but that's about it. If I want to go to Target or Walmart, it's a 25 minute drive; if I want to go to a shopping mall or a fancy restaurant, that's about 40 minutes away. That's taken some adjusting to, because I was used to just running up to the shops if I needed something, now it's maybe a couple of times a month, and it is well planned.

Socially, I volunteered to participate in city government, on the planning commission, and while they were happy to have me (I have a bit of academic background in urban planning,) it's been interesting to see the "old boys/girls network" in action -- if you didn't grow up here, you're definitely treated a bit different. Similar thing at church, though a bit less so.

I like the feel of living here - looking out my window in my home office, there is one row of houses across the street, and then farm fields and forest. At the end of the block is a huge corn field. Though my daughter is grown up now, I would feel quite safe in letting my children wander anywhere in town that they would like to, and our schools are some of the best in the country (seriously, they're nationally ranked, and I have the property tax bill to back that up, lol.)

Overall, I'm happy with the decision that I made to move here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join