It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

38% of Americans say God told me to

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Grimpachi

How many threads will it take before you realize you're peeing in the wind?

I would be if I was trying to change people's minds. This subject simply interests me and I wanted to see what others thought about it. FlyersFan said she once heard God audibly say NO to something. We may not always agree on things but I am certainly not judging her for that she certainly has come off as one of the sane people here in my experience.

As another poster pointed out certain demographics were more prone to claiming instructions. I am not really sure what to think about this the more people way in on the subject the better. I am not ready to write this off as what most everyone considers moral compas or their conscious that wouldn't fit with the rest of the poll questions and theme.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Is it at all possible that people are just anthropomorphizing something as simple as their conscience? Religion has only been prevalent in the last 10,000 years, around the same time we starting farming and domesticating animals. Since higher cognitive functions were relatively new, it would make a certain amount of sense that gods and divine messages and cosmic influence and all ideas revolving around such would just be us exploring this newfound sense of thinking and flexing our spiritual muscles, so to speak.

And now we're just beginning to grow out of our teething phase. We've explored higher higher cognitive functions, and are now learning to employ them with greater practicality and efficacy. It's slow going, but so is evolution. Does this make sense?

Its very possible... And yes it does make sense.

But occasionally... it just cannot be explained that way.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

More often than not, my explanation could easily apply, perhaps?
edit on 30-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

More often than not it is possible.

But just as in the case of after I had agreed to marry my husband. What I 'heard' was a bible verse. I cannot recall hearing the verse before. It is possible that I had, on the internet or even from my father when I was young...

But I do not consciously remember it... As you and others know, I am Muslim.. but one day, I heard a bible verse that seemed to confirm that not only was it ok to marry my husband, but that I should marry him.

So, while more often then not it is possible for your explaination to explain it all perfectly.... the times when it doesn't seem to are so out of what seems possible that it makes you say woahh...
edit on 30-10-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

And no one has a better answer for you.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
akushla99
livinglifeseekingtruth2

livinglifeseekingtruth2
the problem : in my eyes - is that once a person accepts ` god tells me to..... ` as a legitimate reason to act then no atrocity is unthinkable for biblical evidence - Abraham was alledgedly on the verge of killing his own son simply because he believed ` god told him to ...`the really scary bit comes when people start to act on what SOMEONE-ELSE says " god told me to ....... " and people still ask me ` why are religions dangerous `

Im still spinning with the 'suicide bombers' in the middle east, what is the impetuous; an act of rash action, impulsive; or moving with great a violent purpose and what is the driving factor, Sharia Law and/or the warping of the Q'uran to suit a group doctrine to demonstrate and execute powerplays. Im not sure Allah (as God) has anything to do with the preccuring of bomb componants.

someone
You are confusing the ones who took the "Bible and religion" too literally. To the ones who have a need to believe in something to help them make the right choices in life.
"GOD" has never told anyone to do anything! The one's that believe they have been in direct contact with something that does not exist are mentally ill. Plain and simple...
The Bible is nothing more than a book of Fables and nursery rhymes...loosely based on factual occurrences by a bunch of mentally ill people attempting to make sense of life, death and the world they had no idea how to understand....
Or... was it written by those who wanted to control others once they realized the masses of people were asking questions?

Humans walking the earth world history has survived for hundreds of thousands of years. Why so late in the game that 2000 years ago mankind suddenly needs a virtual cornicopia of prophits, deciples, messiahs, saviors, savants. Its interesting. Thousands of years worth of Paganist Ideals (that seemed to work) suddenly became the bald headed stepchild to be rid of.
Id ask the Mayas opinion upon this first.

Akushla99
...it was a crammed assignment (to be handed in and filed in the Blue D-ring binder)...it just seemed to grow thicker over the years as graduating students had the chance to add, alter, edit...we have students of our own, doing it today in the Mash-Up Room (except this is more of a cut and paste kind of deal - progress, you know)...That 'I am, always was, and always will be', got boring without the arch-villain (created by the Almighty),who...just...doesn't...know...how...to...deal...with...it [major flaw])...mighty story arc, complete with the rainbow at the end - roll credits...

That dark blue D-Ring binder was just supposed to be the 'Proceedual Manual', NO ONE TAKES IT HOME AND ALTERS IT OR SELLS IT (takes it as a 'resume enhancer booster') TO THE COMPETITION". Well, you know kids, they cheat or naturally know the shortcuts to enlightenment. Arch villian setup factory, Satan/Lucifer, brilliant as Im fairly sure they are only cartoon inserts added to bolster or add mortar to the fake BUILDING BRICKS of the history of mankind (as you dont know it). It just wasnt concieved in a believable manner and all the scriptwriters (when identified) will be fired.

Akushla99
...and 1.1% of the american public (averred) hears voices, some of them God or Jesus...I rather like the intuition 'take'...somehow more preferable to be talking to yourself?!...but seriously, I can attest to the voices in my head...it's just that you would never hear them...most of them, random thoughts from those in my vicinity, saying one thing, and thinking another...most confusing till you get a handle on it and become circumspect on it all...filter that garbage out, and...Å99

Blame the Psychiatric Community for 'nipping the voices in the head movement' as a mental problem that NEEDS ADDRESSING and or lobotomies or Thorzene. I have full blown arguements (NOT RANDOM) with my higherself, so I can attest to this phenomenon as well. I would imagine most persons that question the nature of their being would have encountered someone/something trying to talk to them. Im not calling this God, its just you; a seasoned past life probably trying to talk some sense to you, some call this innocently enough "common sense talking". Very Funny.
edit on 30-10-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

And no one has a better answer for you.

We choose the answer we believe fits the best. I chose to believe it was God speaking and the Will of God that I marry my husband. Any way you want to look at it, while it was a very difficult decision, over a year later I can say honestly that it was the most perfect decision I ever made.

This is only one instance of this sort of thing, many people have experiences which led them to believe God was speaking to them. In majority of cases, when people follow that voice it was the most perfect decision for them also.

You choose the answer you believe fits best. Its all any of us can do.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

So... it was ok for you when you read how it was ok to behead someone in the name of Christianity?

You have read the Bible right?

I never implied "GOD was running around making people hack others up with chainsaws... where did you even come to that conclusion?

But since you brought the topic to the table.... How many Mothers have killed their own children because they believed "GOD" directed them to?

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

StopThaZionistWorldOrder
choice when confronted with the option of right or wrong.

ROFLOL No atheist is going to destroy let alone shake anyone's beliefs. That's absurd. Atheists don't even listen to God, they listen to Satan, why would anyone take advice from them?

Atheists listen to Satan???

Really??? I feel sorry for you if you really believe that.

An Atheist believes in Science. Not a God or "Satan". You might be watching to much TV. Their is no "good vs Evil" in the Agnostic/ Atheist world. Just an inborn Moral Compass and the need to understand the world they live in.

Thanks to the "Thinkers" in life who made it their mission in life to not just accept the world as it is because the "bible told them so"... They explored and found ways to advance science and the world you enjoy today. Would you rather be living in the Dark Age? that period of History was not very comfortable for anyone last I checked.

If you feel the need to be complacent and just enjoy the ride you chose... I have no problem with that. It is what makes you feel safe and comfortable.

But I also want you to know this.... if it was not for the thinkers and scientists that had ideas and followed them through... You would not have the ability to sit in your comfy chair, with a roof over your head, taking the water and electricity you currently take for granted. Thanks to the "free thinkers" in History... You are able to enjoy these things and have the ability and Right to Rant your opinion on the Internet.

Would you rather be sitting next to a campfire and huddled over a "Book" reading it with a candle just so you could figure out what your next choice in life will be?

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

livinglifeseekingtruth2

Kangaruex4Ewe

livinglifeseekingtruth2

Kangaruex4Ewe

Grimpachi
The article at YouGov says more on the poll I personally found it interesting even though it was taken from just shy of a 1,000 people. I am hopeful it doesn’t accurately portray the population because if that many people honestly think God has talked to them before I would really be worried.

Maybe I am wrong and it does actually reflect the populace. So it makes me wonder how many here on ATS have received instructions from god. I wish we could create polls on here and see.

I will openly admit that I do. Though I do not "hear" God, as in a voice from the sky. I hear Him as my conscience. If I get too much change back from a store and I could use every penny of it... my conscience tells me that I should give it back. It isn't mine and I would be stealing. That is just one of many examples and I AM IN NO WAY stating that non believers do not have a conscience, I am saying that to me... That is how God speaks. He is like a weather vane when I am going in the wrong direction. He sets me back on course.

I know how people view this kind of thing and it is why I usually hesitate to discuss anything religious on ATS. But you seemed genuine (?) so I figured I would try to explain it from my POV.

Kangaruex4Ewe... I am Agnostic and do the same things you do without hesitation . I have never needed a church or GOD to tell me I was doing something wrong... But I guess I was born with a Moral Compass... not a conscience. A conscience is something that causes you to pause and think about the choice you are about to make in a situation of right or wrong. A reference to the symbol of the "scale "in a way. A point where you have to weigh your options because you would rather do the "bad" thing and keep the money because you need it more that the store. As an Agnostic.. I do the right thing without question or hesitation.

If you need a "God" to help you make that choice... I fully support it and encourage it. I would rather those born without a Moral Compass, to have the ability of turning to a believe that would cause them to pause ....weigh their options and make the right choice instead of the bad ones.

As an agnostic... I support your need to believe. Do not confuse me with an Atheist who would destroy your belief system in an instant. There so many out there like you! that need church and beliefs so they can make the right choice when confronted with the option of right or wrong.

I like how you did that whole back handed compliment thing there. It must be nice to never have a guilty conscience about anything...ever. I don't know anyone who has not experienced guilt.

I will not begrudge you a seat in your ivory tower. I'll just be stuck down here with all of the other mistake makers with no moral compass. Even the non believers I know have had to weigh decisions just like I do. They have all made mistakes just like I do. They have all done something that left them feeling guilty at one point or another just like I have.

Nowhere in my post did I insinuate that those who didn't believe had no moral compass. Matter of fact I went out of my way to state that everyone has a conscience. Not just believers. I guess I was wrong. I also don't buy into "Mans" idea of religion. I haven't stepped foot in an actual church in more than a decade. Not all believers are the type of believers you think you know.
edit on 10/30/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

Really??? You just attempted to deflect and redirect the conversation? Everyone with Empathy feels "Guilt" Everyone with Empathy has spoken to someone and hurt them at some point in life... Sometimes the "truth" hurts... but that would be an entirely different topic.

You chose to make a point of weighing your options in a situation of right or wrong....

So what is the point of you passive aggressive attack? Did I hit a nerve? I apologize...

Not passive aggressive at all. The situation was weighing right or wrong. You said that you didn't need God to even think about right or wrong when making a decision because you had a moral compass. Your exact words were *As an agnostic I do the right thing without question or hesitation.*

Your words were what I was addressing. You choose the right thing without question and without hesitation so you should never experience any guilt. Your moral compass is better than my God because I still make the wrong decision at times.

So what part of your post did I get wrong?

If you are making an attempt to incite me to attack you... it isn't going to work.

You have a right to believe what you do. If you need a "book" to tell you how to live... that is your right.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. My strong point is Empathy...

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

livinglifeseekingtruth2

So... it was ok for you when you read how it was ok to behead someone in the name of Christianity?

You have read the Bible right?

I never implied "GOD was running around making people hack others up with chainsaws... where did you even come to that conclusion?

But since you brought the topic to the table.... How many Mothers have killed their own children because they believed "GOD" directed them to?

I am ok with the fact that thousands of years ago to 1600 years ago things were different than they are today. They didn't have guns and bombs then when they commenced war with one another, they did have swords though. Often they saw people outside their "group" as different from them, sometimes they categorized when speaking that the difference was racial and sometimes it was along religious divide. Sometimes they went to war with other groups, for different reasons and at different times.

All that is because they are human. Then just like today. We don't always get along well with others, and wars commence. For different reasons this happens. Sometimes we categorize people along racial lines and sometimes religious when we speak of them.

And honestly, I am glad they all didn't have bombs back then but instead had swords. Sometimes people just cant handle technology. Swords are safer than bunker bombs and such. Less destruction that way. Its almost too bad we have all these instruments of destruction today, I dont think we can actually handle them. One group of people is currently using them to rule the entire planet. Its really sad.

So yes, I am ok with the things that are in all the religious books. Its history. Its learning from the mistakes of others. Its hearing what God might have said about it all.

I have read some of the bible. I am ok with it.

I said what I did about chainsaws because you were taking hearing God and acting on what people heard to its conclusion. I went there because of logical conclusion. It is apparent those mothers did not know the difference between God and something else.

Heck, all I did was hear God tell me - basically and to make it short - that getting married to my husband was ok and I analyzed the heck out of it. I wouldn't have even listened if I heard something like "kill your children". If I had further difficulty after simply ignoring what I was hearing I would have sought out professional help. Many people don't analyze anything they do however. That is very sad.

It does not make me believe all of it is untrue, wrong or crazy, it is simply that often people are.

edit on 31-10-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by livinglifeseekingtruth2

Like a dog with a bone aren't you? This was your last post to me.....

livinglifeseekingtruth2

The only thing I will do at this point of your "standoff" Is admit that we agree to disagree...

have an AMAZING DAY! And there is going to be a partial Solar Eclipse in a few day's if you are interested...

Now all of a sudden you want to regurgitate the issue again with this post... Keeping in mind that I made NO posts to you after your above post.

livinglifeseekingtruth2

If you are making an attempt to incite me to attack you... it isn't going to work.

You have a right to believe what you do. If you need a "book" to tell you how to live... that is your right.

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. My strong point is Empathy...

I would say that it IS INDEED YOU who is trying to incite an attack by sliding back in here days later to make another reply to me after bowing out.

Why do you feel the need to keep bringing up feelings in every post to me? I think you are under the impression that you have the power to hurt my feelings and I apologize if I gave that impression to you. You are words on a board just as I am. You can refute what I said or not, but you keep going to feelings I am not sure why. You misspoke in your post about always making the right decision, now instead of just letting it die (like it already did) you just keep backtracking and somehow think that if we discuss my feelings like Dr. Phil then it might somehow make my pointing out your error less valid.

I guess "agree to disagree" just isn't enough anymore?
edit on 10/31/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

vethumanbeing
akushla99
livinglifeseekingtruth2

livinglifeseekingtruth2
the problem : in my eyes - is that once a person accepts ` god tells me to..... ` as a legitimate reason to act then no atrocity is unthinkable for biblical evidence - Abraham was alledgedly on the verge of killing his own son simply because he believed ` god told him to ...`the really scary bit comes when people start to act on what SOMEONE-ELSE says " god told me to ....... " and people still ask me ` why are religions dangerous `

Stop the nonsense of misquoting me you nit wit! I was NOT the one who said the above nonsense...

I "livinglifeseekingtruth" did NOT make that comment.

If you want to redirect and use the bait and switch... that is your right I guess.

But I just want others to take the time to go back and read the entire thread and take it as you wish.

Although I might agree with some of the the "words" some one else made.... They are not MY words.

Sober up and get your chain of thought straight.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Perhaps I am...

Since your brought up DR Phil.. who is a nit wit fame seeker.. I am offended.

But since you brought it up....

would you like to discuss your Mommy and Daddy issues? You seem to have a few...

Are you afraid of "feelings" and free thought?

or are you all about just "OBEY and follow the instructions of my husband"

I have a partner of my own and have raised 3 children into adulthood. I am Female and he is Male.

We had no need to ask "GOD" or anyone else if we would make a good fit ... we just worked...

Enjoy your enclosed world... If it makes you happy and safe.

If it stops working for you.... I would be happy to discuss your Mommy/Daddy issues.

Until then.... Obey and serve as much as you want.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

livinglifeseekingtruth2

Perhaps I am...

Since your brought up DR Phil.. who is a nit wit fame seeker.. I am offended.

But since you brought it up....

would you like to discuss your Mommy and Daddy issues? You seem to have a few...

Are you afraid of "feelings" and free thought?

or are you all about just "OBEY and follow the instructions of my husband"

I have a partner of my own and have raised 3 children into adulthood. I am Female and he is Male.

We had no need to ask "GOD" or anyone else if we would make a good fit ... we just worked...

Enjoy your enclosed world... If it makes you happy and safe.

If it stops working for you.... I would be happy to discuss your Mommy/Daddy issues.

Until then.... Obey and serve as much as you want.

I don't even know what you are talking about with the whole obey and follow the instructions of my husband... but it seems you have become like a wild animal cornered and are now lashing out at anything instead of discussing the issue. You went from moral compass to assumptions and character assassination in just a few short posts.

The responsibility to bow out is now mine as you have ceased having a discussion about the issue at hand and are now acting like a child poking at things with a stick. Maybe in another forum on another day we can discuss "feelings" and "mommy/daddy issues" that you seem to be so obsessed with. This thread was not created for that.

There are ways to concede the loss of an argument and your example is not one of them.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

The Bible says the wife basically lives to make the husband happy. that was the point.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

The Bible says the wife basically lives to make the husband happy. that was the point.

I don't think we were discussing whether the wife should be submissive or not. THAT'S the point. I think we were discussing making decisions based on a moral compass or God. So asking if I was going to go and OBEY and take instructions from my husband was nothing more than a jab and off topic.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I don't think we were discussing whether the wife should be submissive or not. THAT'S the point. I think we were discussing making decisions based on a moral compass or God. So asking if I was going to go and OBEY and take instructions from my husband was nothing more than a jab and off topic.

Actually, it was exactly on topic. Because supposedly, GOD said the wife should be submissive. According to his spokespeople, anyway. Is that the moral compass you're talking about?

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

Actually, it was exactly on topic. Because supposedly, GOD said the wife should be submissive. According to his spokespeople, anyway. Is that the moral compass you're talking about?

I didn't bring up the "moral compass". If you had read the exchange, the other poster bought that term up. So no. That is not the moral compass I was talking about. We can go around all day if you like but the ongoing exchange had to do with God speaking through conscience as opposed to having a perfect "moral compass". It did not have anything to do with whether I was a submissive wife or not.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

like minds think alike

As much as I appreciate the back up....

I can hold my own ground....

Kangaruex4Ewe started the debate on how she thought GOD told her to do the right thing when a store gave her back too much change when she could use it more than the store.

She then when on to state about her "experience" of "GOD" directing her to accept a husband.

Then she had a hissy fit about what a moral compass was in her world...

She was not born with the knowledge ... if she wants to live in her simple world... let her.

I only told her where to go when she woke up enough to ask some questions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join