It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Bank CEO Suggests Welfare Cuts May Spark Riots

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Margarette Purvis is the CEO of the "Food Bank for New York City".

She is warning of up coming riots because the food stamp program is going ahead with cuts starting Nov 1st.

These cuts are actually a scheduled accelerated reduction that eliminates the emergency increases from the stimulus in 2009.

Congress has not offered any 'stay' or increase to make up the difference.

The cut is something like $36 a month for families of 4. The cuts vary by family size.

With the on going ObamaCare boondoggle, this certainly could become a problem.

Margarette Purvis says:

“Riots always begin typically the same way: when people cannot afford to eat food”

She makes a very alarming case;

The CEO of the largest food bank in America has suggested that planned cuts in food stamp benefits set to take effect on Friday could spark riots.

Margarette Purvis, the president and CEO of the Food Bank for New York City, told Salon.com that the expiration of stimulus funds, which will see the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program reduced by $5 billion dollars, will have an “immediate impact” and represent a recipe for civil unrest.

“If you look across the world, riots always begin typically the same way: when people cannot afford to eat food,” said Purvis, adding that families face the “daunting” prospect of losing a whole week’s worth of food every month.

Supporting story and background on the CUTS;

The 2009 Recovery Act’s temporary boost to Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits is scheduled to end on November 1, 2013, resulting in a benefit cut for every SNAP household. For families of three, the cut will be $29 a month — a total of $319 for November 2013 through September 2014, the remaining months of fiscal year 2014.[2] That’s a serious loss, especially in light of the very low amount of basic SNAP benefits. Without the Recovery Act’s boost, SNAP benefits will average less than $1.40 per person per meal in 2014. (See Table 2 for estimates of the size of the SNAP cut in each state in fiscal year 2014.) Nationally, the total cut is estimated to be $5 billion in fiscal year 2014.

SNAP Benefits Will Be Cut for All Participants in November 2013

How would YOU React ?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I got my notice of the cuts a few days ago. Im not going to riot over a few bucks. :p

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
only time will tell....people get pretty pissed off when they get hungry...it is known that starvation changes certain chemicals in your brain and can lead to quite disturbing behaviour...lets hope it does not get to that....

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Perhaps the *Hunger* will trigger some reactions.

But a bigger threat is the *Perception* of being *Chopped* and somehow *Degraded*

An even bigger threat is *Rolling Riots* being fueled by sensationalism and general anger and fear.

Some groups may see this as an *Opportunity* rather than a *Crisis*

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Does anyone want to make up the difference? My basement needs cleaned, my car needs washed, etc... I would also be more than happy to hire them in place of my landscaper.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
What was it that Marie Antoinette allegedly said? Let them eat cake. I don't know about the rest of you but I know that my grocery bill keeps getting higher and higher, especially over the last month. I was doing comfortably on less about a year ago. Now I fret and I'm not even on SNAP and I'm not the only one feeling the sting. I was at my local grocery store just a couple weeks ago when a middle aged, middle class woman standing next to me, asked me if the prices were higher on chicken than ever. She was truly anxious because our chicken at our local store was running just a little bit under the cost of steak (you should see the price of steak--LOL). She admitted, in her distress and moment of panic, that she didn't know how she was going to keep feeding her children anymore if the prices continued to rise. I knew what she meant. How bad must it be when a total stranger in a grocery store expresses such fears to another total stranger in an upper middle class neighborhood?

Pretty bad if you ask me. While some of us wouldn't feel the squeeze in so much that we'd riot, it could happen. Hunger has ever been the source of massive civil unrest. As long as people can continue to feed their children, they will be tolerant of many things but once they cannot, it can get quite bad. Look at Greece.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't know it ticks me off to see snap recipients buying steak and fish in the grocery store when I am settling for hot dogs and chicken. It might one day spark a riot if they don't stop taking food out the middle classes mouth so the recipients can eat better than the payers.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
They will have to deal with it the same way the rest of us do. Cut back. Buy different food. Eat Ramen two nights instead of steak. My family has to do this all of the time. Every week we make a grocery list based on what is owed out, what came in, what bills are due, and sometimes.... what bills will have to wait.

This is how people WITHOUT help do it. Some weeks we get to eat out. Some weeks we have sandwiches a few more times than we would like. It is what it is. I really never thought to riot over it. We have rolled pennies to get a loaf of bread, but we got it and were thankful for it.

I am not talking about those who can not possibly help themselves just to be clear. The rest should buckle down like the rest of us and suck it up.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Yeah because everybody on food stamps is just lazy right? I'm legally disabled and they cut my monthly allotment. I now make in a month what I use to make in a week working.

My 23 year old cousin lives in my basement. He walks 2 miles from and to work everyday. He works 25 hours a week. He gets food stamps also. It's the only job he can find within walking distance. I guess he's just lazy too.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

wantsome
reply to post by elouina

Yeah because everybody on food stamps is just lazy right? I'm legally disabled and they cut my monthly allotment. I now make in a month what I use to make in a week working.

My 23 year old cousin lives in my basement. He walks 2 miles from and to work everyday. He works 25 hours a week. He gets food stamps also. It's the only job he can find within walking distance. I guess he's just lazy too.

And did I say this? I don't know why you personalized a general statement. I was pointing out a way to make a few bucks under the table to help make ends meet. There is always someone out there that needs some help around the house. Mow my lawn one time and that is the equivalent to over 2 months worth of food stamps taken away.

I also think the temporary increase was a bad idea. Why get people used to having more and then take it away? This reminds me of the temp decrease in social security taxes. All the young folks were griping that their taxes were raised when it was taken away.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well our family doesn't qualify for snap, even though I am recently disabled and wifey cannot work because I had a revision of my back surgery 2 months ago, yes little one in the house that I cannot currently run after for 8 hrs at a time. You know what I did when the price of food started going up? Ate less and skipped meals. And I lost some extra weight that I put on over the last few yrs. Might not be the best way about it but sometimes its the only way. And I am willing to bet there are a lot of folks out there that could use to lose a few pounds as well..... I have plenty of people around here that I know that get snap and they eat like kings, really they must because they are all obese, honestly. That and I have seen their grocery carts at the store, sometimes 1 person pulling 2 carts filled to the top!!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Instead of taking sides, let's agree that there is plenty of basic food at the wholesale level for everyone.

I simply propose State Stores, where you can receive plentiful food, free. The catch is the food should be basic. It's better than bankrolling the industrial giants who sell pre-packaged food in those small portions. I don't see how it's unreasonable to go to a boxy State Store to get staple food. More food for more people, less cost. Heck, soup kitchens could easily prepare this freebie foods into hot meals...maybe let govt pay for the costs.

I don't see why currently food stamps are issued to people who have a BMI that's off the scale. THINK of the health benefits!

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

xuenchen

How would YOU React ?

How would you?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

FlyingFoxI don't see why currently food stamps are issued to people who have a BMI that's off the scale. THINK of the health benefits!

This is what I find so fascinating. What is leading to that obesity? Several years ago, most of our foods were laden with something that was called "hydrogenated fats" and "trans fats". In fact, they are still in a lot of foods today, especially lower quality. What's interesting is that the body cannot fully break down these type of fats. The chemical structure basically is fairly impervious to the action of our enzymes that are used to breakdown and process food for energy. So what happens to it? Well, it sticks around in the body in the form of...fat. Worse yet, it's been found to contribute to high cholesterol and arteriosclerosis.

High fructose corn syrup is also a common ingredient in many foods, especially those that are of a lower quality, because it's cheaper than cane sugars. In fact, typically, if you want a bread that doesn't have HFCS in it, you end up paying more for that bread. What's interesting is that, like hydrogenated fats, the body has a great deal of difficulty breaking down HFCS. So what happens to it when it enters the body? Fat. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Now those are two man-made forms of food that our bodies have a great difficulty in recognizing as food and breaking down. Are they eating too much or is it what they have to eat because they are poor? I don't have the answer for that but it's pretty remarkable that our poor do tend to be so bloody obese and I really suspect that it has less to do with the amount of food and more to do with the quality of that food. Fake food is cheaper than real food.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

xuenchen

How would YOU React ?

Cuervo
How would you?

Hmmm.

Maybe start a riot ?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

FlyingFox
Instead of taking sides, let's agree that there is plenty of basic food at the wholesale level for everyone.

I simply propose State Stores, where you can receive plentiful food, free. The catch is the food should be basic. It's better than bankrolling the industrial giants who sell pre-packaged food in those small portions. I don't see how it's unreasonable to go to a boxy State Store to get staple food. More food for more people, less cost. Heck, soup kitchens could easily prepare this freebie foods into hot meals...maybe let govt pay for the costs.

I don't see why currently food stamps are issued to people who have a BMI that's off the scale. THINK of the health benefits!

You realize why this would never work?

Have you looked into the cart of the average SNAP participant?

In my area, it's filled to the brim with name-brand convenience foods with not much in the way of fresh stuff at all which is also why this cut is going to hurt so many of them - name brand convenience food is NOT cheap. You offer them stores full of free, fresh stuff, and I'm going to riot because I develop headaches trying to figure out how to feed us on our budget with fresh stuff! And, those people I'm talking about will complain because it's not the stuff they want. Most of them likely can't or won't cook.

At most, they'd load up on it and sell it for cash to buy the crap they do want (i.e. scam the system).

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Maybe you have seen me post this before maybe not. Anyone making under 12 dollars an hour will be screwed in the next 2 years because of inflation. You will also see many more cuts in aid as the economy and the government slowly fall apart under the weight of the progressive ideology.

This is not a prediction it is a fact. The system is going to reset and no I am not a sky is falling type of person this one is easy to see coming.
edit on 30-10-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

SubTruth
reply to post by xuenchen

Maybe you have seen me post this before maybe not. Anyone making under 12 dollars an hour will be screwed in the next 2 years because of inflation. You will also see many more cuts in aid as the economy and the government slowly fall apart under the weight of the progressive ideology.

This is not a prediction it is a fact. The system is going to reset and no I am not a sky is falling type of person this one is easy to see coming.
edit on 30-10-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

I agree.

And I think it's already started.

2014 and 2015 will see a massive acceleration of this.

An acceleration beyond belief.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I was getting $200 now i am receiving $159 not that big of deal to me live frugally any way i still receive the full cash benefits of $289 so there is no harm done. yes I am disabled. and no i am not getting ssi yet have an other 6 to 8 months to go befor i go see the judge to fight my case
edit on bAmerica/Chicagok201330 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

They're already started to prepare people for it.

Did you see the NYT's editorial/article about how "experts" and the Fed now think that inflation is a "good" thing?

Yeah, it's coming, and we're being groomed to think we're being saved even as it destroys us when it does come.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join