It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent gun purchase. Incredibly quick and easy?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I just purchased a Glock 17, Gen 4 semi-automatic pistol. I went to the store, gave the clerk my money and driver's license. He said he'd be right back. He was. He had a laminated member card for the store and free use of the gun range, a lock, and free rounds to start me out.

I was in and out of the store with my purchase in under 20 minutes. (If I was a bad guy...I could gone on a spree of criminal activity in less than a half hour.) Here is my issue/question for other ATS'rs who are owners and who are not. There was no credit check, and little background check other than a call to the Michigan State Police to run my license. That was it.

Now, Ive got a 357 Magnum as well, and is about 10 or so years old. With that purchase I had to pay in full upfront, and come back in 5 days I think to pick it up if the background check was ok. It was. I then had to take the gun within 10 days to the State Police for inspection. This time, I did not.

So, herein is my thought. With all the talk the last year or so about guns being scarce and ammo (that is still really true to a degree, yet Ive had no real trouble getting hollow-points and full metal jacket rounds)....it seemed to me it was incredibly easy and quick to pay the clerk, get my package, and walk out the door and drive away. It would be easy for someone to get a fake ID for background checking and walk out with a gun. (And I didnt need to leave them a fingerprint either.) I was surprised to say the least.

On YouTube I was shown a video about inserting a 50 or 100 round magazine in my Glock 17 (17 round magazine). In the video, it SHREADS anything in sight. I was stunned. If this is how easy it is to get and modify guns that can do this...I think we are in for it in the future. Us law-a-biding citizens have to realize it really will one day come to us against "them".

It means so much more now to me and my family the old saying..."As long as the CRIMINALS have guns? So will I."

PS And now "suppressors" (silencers) are also legal in Michigan. Why?
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

You are not divulging all of the interaction. You either have a Michigan CPL or you brought a LEO purchase permit with you when you made the purchase. With either you have already been cleared through the MSP database and then had to clear the federal NCIC background data check in order to take possession of the pistol.

The exception is the Michigan CPL which you have been cleared through a FBI background check that is required before being issued the license to begin with.

Btw you still have to turn in the paperwork to the MSP just as in the past. The only difference now is they do not require the firearm inspection that used to be mandatory.
edit on 10/29/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The Government isn't really worried about guns anymore. They have DRONES that can kill you effectively without using soldiers and can kill hundreds of people at a time effortlessly by remote control. What are they worried about when you cant even target the drone or even know its above you because its beyond sight? Welcome to the new future. Watch Dirty Wars on Netflicks. That's what they are doing in foreign countries right now, half the people they are killing over there are collateral damage and considered fair targets by the government. Women children and babies! Smiles all around.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Yes. I needed in 10 days to take the papers to my city's Police Department, where they did rt-thumb print me. Additionally humerous....(to me at least...was the little ole lady clerk behind the roll-up slatted screen).

She told me next time...since they now had my fingerprint, if I purchased any others...just shove the purchase papers under the screen, and they'd put it on my city PD record! Its just seemingly too easy.

PS I do have a CCW needing to be renewed, but Ive decided to take additional training again since its been awhile, and have my wife take some safety classes as well.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
So wait...you are surprised that after you went through the hoops you were able to buy a firearm? You did what the State and the People asked you to do...why are you surprised?!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

mysterioustranger
There was no credit check, and little background check other than a call to the Michigan State Police to run my license. That was it.

Why would there be a credit check? Your credit worthiness has nothing to do with your 2nd Amendment Rights under the Federal and your own State's Constitution.

What is your point in all this?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
To answer your question about Michigan allowing silencers, the real question would be why not? Why are we even regulating firearms in the first place? Is it because we strongly believe that with a well regulated fire arms, we'll be safer or is it because the government doesn't want to fear us anymore?

I don't think it should be difficult to get firearms. If a bad guy wants to go on a rampage, finding the weapons necessary to do so is the least of their worries. If it comes down to it, they could just become creative, after all what do you think the black market mercenaries do when they kill people? Do you think they go through conventional channels to acquire their tools? No, they will stick to the black market and even become creative. Pay everything in cash, that sort of thing.

Someone going on a rampage at a school or a mall is very, very improbable. In fact, why is this even something that people worry so much about? Because it's been on the news lately. How often has it happened over the past 100-years? Too few to matter. What could be a solution? Here are two options...

Option 1) Allow everyone to carry their own firearm in any public setting with exception of government buildings that they deem that you can't.

Option 2) You set guards at every store entrance and forbid anyone from entering using the exits. Everyone that passes by, you pat them down. One line for women, one line for men. This is how it's done in the Philippines.

You could even combine both options together if you wish. However, making it harder for criminals to obtain weapons is simply fairy tale talk. All that it's doing is it's making it harder for normal people to obtain weapons, and regulate what they can and can't have and if they have an episode of depression 10 years ago, the government has the right to revoke your firearms. This is not right, and it should not be.

Any push for gun control is a push towards a stronger, more defendable government and defenseless civilians. Our enemies are: The tyrant government, the violent criminals, and invading nations. A simple pistol is not going to do much good against two of those, so think carefully about the things you want civilians to own and at the current state of the US, it's at risk for so many things. Why restrict citizens at such a crucial time?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
You think there should be some delay on buying any firearm regardless of when you got your licenses?

Im sure this might be good for those spur of the moment purchases lol

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Today I decided to go to a Florida Walmart looking for a 22 rifle. I saw a MossBerg 702 Plinkster for $117 so I told the guy behind the counter I'll take it. I take out my c.c and he tells me hold on to that. You must first fill out an app. then you have to do a back ground check which usually take 15 to 20minutes. So I fill out the app which asked for my personal info and my s.s#. He then goes on to say I have to pay $5 for backgroung check and he will make the phone call. It takes him 18 min to give my info the then hangs up and says its ok. He has a manager come over and fill out more paperwork prints out some gov form signs and write more info in. Finally he start to ring up the rifle I tell him ill pay with my debit card. He swipes I put my pin and declined. I check my balandce on my phone and I have plenty of money. After the 3rd decline I tell the manager ill go to the Atm get to cash. So I pay cash. When Im on my way home my wife tells me my bank left a msg I needed to call asap. I call the bank they tell I had an unordenary purchase. I said What she went on to say I was declined becouse it was unusual for me to make a purchase of that amount. I told her my groceries at walmart are 125 to 150 what are u talking about. Well I finally hung up and wonder to myself was it becouse I purchased a gun??????
edit on 29-10-2013 by mora2013 because: forgot to says my first reply here so forgive my misspelling. on my phone

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Personally, I know when I buy a gun I want it right now.

Waiting? I might get mugged...

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Oh forgot to say I ask them for some 22lr round they look at me and tell me the only way you can get 22 round is online. I said how can that be he said they don't even get 22lr anymore. So I go and start calling Bass Pro various ammo business they all out.....hmmmmm

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I became a gun owner in about 30 minutes as well. Went from never having shot or owning a gun to picking one out and getting suggestions on ammunition in a flash. In my case I didn't see anything wrong with it, (because I'm totally legit, aha), but I can definitely see where you're coming from about it being so simple for anyone yet to acquire a criminal record to be able to possess such a game-changer, basically no questions asked. I guess I passed the "eye test" and whoever was working the counter deemed me not likely to be the type to go on a hell hot rampage.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I think my quickest handgun purchase was about 10 minutes with the CPL. Yes, no, no, no, no, no, no, no etc. last question blank, fill out address and nonsense, let seller fill out nonsense. Wait for the call in, get the OK, swipe the card and out the door.

Same with rifle purchases.

I have a rather unique name combination (it's not A Hole, smartasses) so I never get the wait some folks do with more common names. I also seem to only buy a gun at the perfect time when the phones aren't swamped. I was told that's a big majority of the holds with CPL people.

You could conceivably find someone with a valid CPL, get their license number, print out a card, get their DL # and print out a fake... You would have to match the description though. They're not selling you a gun if the CPL and license don't match your description. I can't recall a single story of someone purchasing a firearm with fraudulent documents. Not to say it hasn't happened, I just don't recall.

OP I think that perhaps you are an anti gun person. I have never heard anyone refer to a Glock 17 as a Glock 17 semi automatic. That's like saying I have a non supercharged Toyota Camry... Also I have a ten year old .357 Magnum... K. I have a ten year old 9mm, a 40 year old 12 gauge... Gun people name the manufacturer and almost always the model number. I think you may be full of it. It's also pretty suspect that you seem miffed suppressors are now legal... Gun people know suppressors are a pain to legally own, very expensive, and don't offer near the quieting properties Hollywood portrays. You're going to know someone is firing a gun unless your dumb and the thing is a .22.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

There is no difference between the gun you bought 10 years ago and the one you just bought.
I would presume it just took longer to do a background check back then, wouldn't you?

If you have not mental illness and no felonies then you get to buy your gun, that's how it is and how it should be.

Suppressors also should be legal, lots of people use a suppressor to be considerate when practicing outdoors to avoid annoying their neighbors. Suppressors require a background check, and more paperwork, and in some instances (i think, not sure) special license. Most places (including here, you just have to fill out a little paper work).
edit on 29-10-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

There was no credit check, and little background check other than a call to the Michigan State Police to run my license. That was it.

Why does there need to be a credit check?

If you passed your police check it is assumed you are NOT a criminal. We have a presumption of innocence in our justice system. Just because you COULD be a criminal does not mean you should be treated like one. If you passed your check that should be the end of it.

In Nevada if you have a concealed carry permit a background check is not required on new purchases. Why? Because you go through an extensive background check to get the permit to begin with.

I own several guns. I have spent less than 10 minutes at gun stores before. Walk in, buy gun, walk out. I'm not a criminal and my background check is clean.

Besides, why would you complain about something taking less of your time? Who the hell asks for more bureaucratic garbage?
edit on pWed, 30 Oct 2013 00:27:35 -0500201330America/Chicago2013-10-30T00:27:35-05:0031vx10 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Biigs
You think there should be some delay on buying any firearm regardless of when you got your licenses?

Im sure this might be good for those spur of the moment purchases lol

I think that's okay as long as it's not in the middle of an invasion

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

mysterioustranger
I just purchased a Glock 17, Gen 4 semi-automatic pistol. I went to the store, gave the clerk my money and driver's license. He said he'd be right back. He was. He had a laminated member card for the store and free use of the gun range, a lock, and free rounds to start me out.

I was in and out of the store with my purchase in under 20 minutes. (If I was a bad guy...I could gone on a spree of criminal activity in less than a half hour.) Here is my issue/question for other ATS'rs who are owners and who are not. There was no credit check, and little background check other than a call to the Michigan State Police to run my license. That was it.

Now, Ive got a 357 Magnum as well, and is about 10 or so years old. With that purchase I had to pay in full upfront, and come back in 5 days I think to pick it up if the background check was ok. It was. I then had to take the gun within 10 days to the State Police for inspection. This time, I did not.

So, herein is my thought. With all the talk the last year or so about guns being scarce and ammo (that is still really true to a degree, yet Ive had no real trouble getting hollow-points and full metal jacket rounds)....it seemed to me it was incredibly easy and quick to pay the clerk, get my package, and walk out the door and drive away. It would be easy for someone to get a fake ID for background checking and walk out with a gun. (And I didnt need to leave them a fingerprint either.) I was surprised to say the least.

On YouTube I was shown a video about inserting a 50 or 100 round magazine in my Glock 17 (17 round magazine). In the video, it SHREADS anything in sight. I was stunned. If this is how easy it is to get and modify guns that can do this...I think we are in for it in the future. Us law-a-biding citizens have to realize it really will one day come to us against "them".

It means so much more now to me and my family the old saying..."As long as the CRIMINALS have guns? So will I."

PS And now "suppressors" (silencers) are also legal in Michigan. Why?
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

This is an absolutely idiotic post. You come on to gripe that it's "too easy" to buy a gun. But you fail to mention that previously you went through the process of obtaining a carry permit in your state. That permit enables you to make the purchase go quicker because you have already pre-qualified yourself to the system. Maybe you should go in for psychological evaluation...

And as for silencers; They have always been legal to those with a Class 3 permit that reside in a state where class 3 NFA items are permitted. Silencers should not be a NFA item, they should be available to anyone that wants one. They don't make a weapon any deadlier, they don't make them "silent" just quieter. And they potentially can save someones hearing.
edit on 30-10-2013 by LightCraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
and that's somehow a bad thing? Get real if you want to get a taste of naziville just come to canada. You can't buy no hand guns, you'd be lucky to buy a rifle and thats' only after given them your first born child your motherinlaw and signing a blood owth.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mora2013

Now that is creepy.
Mind telling us what bank/card you use?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I must agree with a few posts here.

The OP is very antagonistic in nature. Why on Earth this poster is complaining about an expedited process that used to take days is beyond me. The internet has sped things up, and all your personal information is within a click of a mouse, to the NCIC. Why would it take more time?

Years ago, the process took much longer because of the red tape behind it. It is now much easier, and especially if the person has a CPL, or CCW. You already had your background checked so half of the process is over with. It should only take a phonecall to verify your physical description and ID.

I hear people talk at gun shops all the time, and most say the same things. They dn't own any firearms and think they need to buy them before the gov't takes them. It truly worries me. The only thing I don't like about all these people buying weapons now, is the fact that there are people that don't have any clue how to handle a weapon or why they should have one, buying them because they think they are safer with them. In reality, some people don't have the competence to own a firearm. But who am I to judge. All I can say is take a safety course.

I am a proponent of a physical test to pass before owning a firearm.

By the way, there is no such thing as a "silencer". It is a suppressor and the people have been able to acquire them for a while now. Just pay your stamp tax and go through more red tape. Just the way it should be. Although it is a huge hassle, because no one can handle it besides the owner.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join