It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Passwords. Things of the past?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Will passwords soon be a thing of the past? Replaced by biometric and smart-card technology? Bill Gates thinks so.
Speaking at the Microsoft IT Forum in Copenhagen, Denmark, the Microsoft chairman predicted that people will soon rely on alternative means of authenticating their identity. Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates predicted the demise of the traditional password because it cannot "meet the challenge" of keeping critical information secure. There are many cases of internet fraud committed everyday, these may include; Auction and Retail Schemes Online, Business Opportunity/"Work-at-Home" Schemes Online, Identity Theft and Fraud, Investment Schemes Online, Credit-Card Schemes etc. These can be looked into in more detail at www.usdoj.gov... Are the Major Types of Internet.

news.com.com
"A major problem for identity systems is the weakness of passwords," Gates said. "Unfortunately, with the type of critical information on these systems, we aren't going to be able to rely on passwords. Moving to biometric and smart cards is a wave that is coming, and we see our leading customers doing this."

Gates added that Microsoft plans to issue its employees with smart cards for accessing the company building and their computers. The system will be based on Microsoft's .Net technology.

"In time, we will completely replace passwords," Gates said. "Having the .Net capability, we are very excited to see smart cards moving into this framework."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I feel that this could be a very good idea, but only if it two pieces of ID is needed. There are too many cases of passwords being stolen and internet fraud, this is putting people off using the internet for banking and shopping. Once you need two forms of password or ID it is much harder to 'steal' someones identity.

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
news.com.com
news.com.com

[edit on 11-17-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I certainly hope this comes as no surprise to people in the computer industry. I've seen smart cards coming for years now, most high profile companies use smart cards and randomly scrambled passwords to lock down thier workstations.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm very surprised that this hasn't come along sooner. With internet technology evolving it seems daily, the reliance on the password seems to have lived a few lifetimes in computer terms. I'd like to see it.....although, to be honest, with the security leaks that lots of software has and Microsoft seems to be known for I'm not sure if I want Gates leading the way.

Cameron

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This might work for the physicl security of various systems, but I don't see what is so secure about this stuff. If you have a biometric scaner, you can scan them, and then you can get total access to their priviledges. For physical devices, it might work, but if you have access to the physical, a screwdriver and/or hammmer can work as well.

Passwords can be very secure. They just need to be properly chosen, and handled carefully. You just use a long non-obvious alphanumeric-symbolic password, and it can be made very hard to guess. You just need to set it up, so it can't be brute forced.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Im glad I only use linux!!!!

new topics

top topics

join