It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pregnant woman files charges over unwanted BELLY RUB

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Honestly, I can't believe this hasn't happened earlier than this. I remember when my wife was pregnant and strangers would come up and ask to touch or rub her belly. It completely weirded us both out. I just don't know why some people think touching a pregnant woman's belly is socially acceptable if you don't know her or haven't been invited.

Pregnant Woman Files Charges Over Belly Rubbing

A representative from the Pennsylvania State Police tells Yahoo Shine that earlier this month, 57-year-old Richard J. Beishline visited his neighbor, a 30-year-old pregnant woman named Michelle Troutman in Frankfort, Pennsylvania. According to the police report, after giving Troutman a hug, Beishline said, “I just want to be friends” and rubbed her stomach. Troutman pushed him away, and he quickly left. She has since filed harassment charges against Beishline, and if he pleads guilty, he’ll pay a fine determined by a judge. If he pleads not guilty, both parties will have to testify in court.

“Pennsylvania law defines harassment as engaging in conduct that harasses, annoys, or alarms a person,” DiLucente tells Yahoo Shine. “That’s always been the law, whether someone is pregnant or not, but this is the first time to my knowledge it’s been used in such a way.” In order for the Troutman to win, says DiLucente, she would have to prove a "course of conduct," meaning the incident happened multiple times. If it happened just once, Beishline would likely receive a simple criminal citation, which bears the seriousness of a traffic ticket. “However, this case will make a dent in people’s awareness of a woman’s personal boundaries,” he says.

Yahoo news

I don't think the guy should go to jail for this but, its good to see the woman has some recourse for when people go to far with their unwanted touching. A traffic ticket level offense seems to suit the situation just fine, unless the guy was trying to get some type of sexual satisfaction out of it but, that's a whole other matter.

I think that pregnancy just makes some people forget about the mother's personal boundaries and they act stupid sometimes. Maybe a few mothers pressing charges like this will bring attention to this issue.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Well... He should have asked and not just touched, then she could've said no...

I think it's quite silly tbh.. Everyone is different, I had strangers approach me and ask to rub my belly when I was pregnant..and I didn't mind at all.. I didn't let them touch my bare skin..

Everytime I see my friend who is pregnant ...I ask her if I can touch her belly. It's just really fascinating to me. I rubbed my own belly all the time. Sure I know it was my belly so I was allowed to...

To each his own ...

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I think mooning over the pregnant is queer period.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well, they know each other... they even hugged each other.... So I would assume they are friends.
And if my friend would be pregnant I would rub her belly too.

There must be something else in the background.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
She got creeped out by an old dude.

Some guys love pregnant women.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

When my wife was pregnant, feeling the baby kick or squirm around was the most awesome thing in the world. I can see why people have a fascination with it but, I never felt completely comfortable touching other women's bellies.

I never asked, even if I knew them and felt awkward even when one of our friends INSISTED I feel her belly. I couldn't imagine what gets into people's heads to just walk up and touch someone else's belly without even asking. I can't even imagine asking a complete stranger I met on the street.

Something about a pregnant woman makes some people totally ignorant about personal boundaries. There are too many weirdos out there to let just anyone touch your unborn child.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Some people seem to think the belly of a pregnant woman is a magical thing, and just have to touch(rub). Well, I guess there is some magic there in a manner of speaking, but what makes people think it's ok to touch a woman while she's pregnant, when they wouldn't dare when she isn't? It's just weird.

Then I thought, maybe there's some superstition that has remained in our psyche for a long time, or has been handed down in some way...

One common belief was the idea that if you wanted to become pregnant you should rub the tummy of a pregnant woman. They must have figured that the fertility would "rub off" on the person doing the rubbing. As nice as this may sound, there is no medical data to back this up, and many pregnant women are probably tired of being rubbed like a genie's lamp.

Source

...and voila. Indeed there is.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Would you touch some strange woman's belly if she wasn't pregnant. Thought so. Not cool. 'Nuff said.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

People get freaked out at the least little thing now days and want to sue somebody or have them arrested for anything.

Maybe the person was out of line doing it but she couldn't have just said "That makes me feel uncomfortable please don't do it again" and let it go?

Sometimes people do things that they think are ok but it upsets the other person, everybody has different upbringings and consider whats socially acceptable differently than other people.

If somebody does something you don't like just grow a set of testicles and TELL them... Please do NOT do that again.......if they continue then you have a reason to take it a step further.

Communication is ok people, talk to other people if they are doing something wrong.

I think there is more to this story, they are neighbors and he may have made advances on her in the past
and gets touchy feely....
edit on 29-10-2013 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Its just the (dare i say American way), run to the lawyer instead of politely telling the offender to f off or continue touching or rubbing ,depending on the mood.
On the other hand
The offender may have just been curious as to how there came to be living creature inside her belly
Harmless human to human interaction at best

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It's a little overboard IMO to file a suit. I would have laid the smack down on his hand though had he been a stranger and touched me. They hugged though... and I would like that even less than a belly rub. It is far more intimate... more parts touching etc.

Nobody ever asked to rub my belly, but I never looked at them like it may be welcomed either.

Maybe she is trying to get the college fund started early?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Yeah, I hate the litigious society we've created around ourselves and people really need to work on their people skills rather than call the gun crazy cops for every altercation.

having said that, I think its a good thing that at least one woman is bringing this issue to the courts in order to bring attention to the situation. People should think twice before going up and touching anyone uninvited, whether pregnant or not. pregnancy is not an excuse to forget manners and basic personal boundaries. If bringing charges against a few people gets this issue out in front of the public and makes people think twice before going up and groping a stranger's belly, then I think its a good thing.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Yeah jeez, we should criminalize kissing babies too, damn perverts, all of them…

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

FortAnthem
reply to post by 12voltz

Yeah, I hate the litigious society we've created around ourselves and people really need to work on their people skills rather than call the gun crazy cops for every altercation.

having said that, I think its a good thing that at least one woman is bringing this issue to the courts in order to bring attention to the situation. People should think twice before going up and touching anyone uninvited, whether pregnant or not. pregnancy is not an excuse to forget manners and basic personal boundaries. If bringing charges against a few people gets this issue out in front of the public and makes people think twice before going up and groping a stranger's belly, then I think its a good thing.

You ever think back to a hundred, thousand, 10,000 years ago…? We're we all so paranoid of each other? Were we all so xenophobic, afraid of simple interaction with ourselves (humans.)

I realize royalty could cut a person's hand off in the past, but for the commoners, did they all despise each other so much?

Some reason I feel like this is another step into a world where everyone hates each other for no reason.

Criminal charges, for touching the stomach? Dear lord, women have grabbed my ass many times over the years, and I wasn't offended. (Girlfriends were, but that's another story.)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Huh, so a hug from him was ok, but a belly pat/rub wasn't? The logic there is lost on me, contact is contact & it's not like he palmed a friggin' boob. Torsos probably touched, but bring in the digits & it's offensive? WTF?

Thinking back to my baby bellies, I can't say one way or the other if anyone asked to touch or not. If they did, I obviously could have cared less if it slipped my mind.

There's something else to this, she's being petty about it for some other reason she isn't sharing. Methinks he may have money & she saw an easy lawsuit win.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

you cant have both
Bringing the case before the court to get attention ,is just how this type of non event gets peoples palms itching
If people (re) learnt how to deal with other people on a face to face level then this would be nothing more than a stimulated fetus,an uncomfortable feeling, that an adult? should know how to deal with and a red faced man who was possibly feeling slightly affectionate.
All held back by an atmosphere of air-con, radio waves ,and the desire to make money

Quick get that baby of there !
edit on 29-10-2013 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I would sue him too. Basicly because it's my personal space and if not asked it might feel threathening. Tho in my culture we are very strict with our personal space.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You may not mind being grabbed, but some people have a problem with being touched. I don't like to be touched. At all. I'm sort of Aspie, I guess. I need my space.

I am a bit mystified by the hug though. She let him hug her.
edit on 10/29/2013 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

"Hello, I'd like to greet you in a way that requires physical contact."
"Slow down, what exactly do you mean?"
"I would like to perform the simple gesture of shaking hands."
"Are you trying to invade my personal space? What is wrong with you?"
"No, that's not what I meant ..."
"Stop harassing me you pig!"
"I think you misunderstand ..."
"Hello, is this 911? I'm in need of urgent help!"
"This is 911 speaking, did you just harass me?"

Of course, he never filled out the form to touch her belly! Everyone should know the proper way to do this. Did he even call a trustworthy notary?

edit on 29-10-2013 by Marsupilami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I agree with this as well. Not jail time but a ticket and a warning. It's one thing when it's your mom or grandma but another when it's a barely known neighbor.

Some people seem oblivious to others uncomforts and some are just creepy, it's hard to tell sometimes. When I was pregnant with my son I got on an elevator and a women whom I barely knew started touching my belly, I freaked out honestly, by the time the doors opened she was ready to get out. I might have been okay had we not been enclosed but on an elevator and without my permission, nope.

I've touched my sister in laws belly and my friends but always with permission first.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join