It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic American Blackout (2013)"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Mods please move if this forum is incorrect. Did a search nothing came up.

Good flick about a total black out in the U.S.A. do to a cyber attack. Not a bad flick,a little scary!
I have done a lot of prepping but if this happens I have to plan a little more.
Your thoughts ATSers?

www.bing.com...(2013)%22&qpvt=National+Geographic+American+Blackout+(2013)%22&FORM=VDRE#vi ew=detail&mid=C81BE40393019660FAFBC81BE40393019660FAFB

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

NatGeo is really keeping the lid on this one. They are only releasing bits and pieces to those of us that don't subscribe to cable TV.

Used to be that you could watch almost any program within a day or so after it's release.

But of course, many of us already know what the effects of a cyber or EMP attack would be. But I'm always interested to look at other peoples take on the subject.

ETA: Never mind, I found it. Going to have to check it out.
edit on 29-10-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

TDawgRex

NatGeo is really keeping the lid on this one. They are only releasing bits and pieces to those of us that don't subscribe to cable TV.

Used to be that you could watch almost any program within a day or so after it's release.

But of course, many of us already know what the effects of a cyber or EMP attack would be. But I'm always interested to look at other peoples take on the subject.

ETA: Never mind, I found it. Going to have to check it out.
edit on 29-10-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

You go brother it's a good flick!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Guys guys, why all the worry? Dont you realize Obama is president? Obama!
Nuthin bads gonna happen when Uncle Obama is here to protect us.
Now flip that channel, Jersey Shore is starting!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I thought it was a pretty solid theory on what could happen in multiple scenarios if we lost power for an extended period of time.

To me the most useful part was the facts they would state at various points throughout the show.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I wonder is this a tandem output with Gen. Alexander's, (NSA/NCTC) premise that he is protecting the interwobble for big business and the power grid, and the whole way of life in the US, while in the same breath talking about all the attacks on systems there have been recently, that's so curious. I guess NG, and NSA/NCTC and media in general are allowed to scaremonger in a speculative way, because it's only pretendies

Don't us do that here, Oh No!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Just watched the first few minutes, but man that sucked. Makes the average IQ of the average American look dismal. Which they may well be, but dayum...

'Wow, Twitter is Blowing Up!' Without power? Don't the cell towers need electricity?**

'What's the chance that I'm going to blow up the whole apartment?' (by pushing buttons on the electrical panel...?)

Immediate panic in a blackout situation? I don't think so. Even the morons know it usually lasts a few hours at best. After two days, maybe then you'll start to get worried but in the NE especially, people are used to blackouts that last more than a week from storms and most have prepared pantries.

Pass on the rest of this, which by the preview just looked like the usual fear mongering people looting, breaking into houses stuff.

If you haven't yet seen it, check out James Burke's Connections premiere about the same topic.

Documentary Films

** Addendum, turns out cell towers have limited battery backup/heavy traffic will drain it fast.
cell towers

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Interesting show. But truthfully, it does not really address the issue (though maybe it will awaken others that don't think such a scenario could happen). It's pretty generic. I had to laugh when the newscaster said that everybody would receive Federal aid. Yea, like that's gonna happen in a grid collapse.

A couple of good factoids though.

I did like the premise that it was told through the eyes of those who lived through it, but those are only a probability amongst millions.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

tehdouglas
Guys guys, why all the worry? Dont you realize Obama is president? Obama!
Nuthin bads gonna happen when Uncle Obama is here to protect us.
Now flip that channel, Jersey Shore is starting!

LOL look at one year after Sandy
" I will cut threw the red tape" Yeah right! Jersey and New York and Connecticut got hit hard.
I have friends on the coast have not got goodly squat are paying taxes Ins. and still not in there homes!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

My dear we were there Sandy ... 2 weeks with out power///the blizzard we had 4 feet of snow 5 days with out power! I have been there.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Has nobody seen revolution?
Thats more like it n a future to behold.
and b4 somebody says its fiction what
you watching?
Got to add this.
It would mean more police thinking they have
the right to shoot any one because of the badge.
Oh,hang on,that's happening now.
edit on 29-10-2013 by Eddieme1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I thought it was alright... Some parts were realistic, but other parts were to made up movie! The father at the bug out location kinda pissed me off... The dude was all gungho prepper, by the book... then he goes outside when the people came for the gas... that was the dumbest thing! He was secure in his bunker... don't go out when people are out there... he put his family in jeopardy! Stupid... And i was a little upset with the mom, who stayed at the hospital to work, but left her son at home for 10 days!! Anyways, IMO, if the power goes out and i know it's wide spread, i'm bugging out after 2 days... I feel the best place to be is with a bunch of people you know!! Stronger in numbers...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

nighthawk1954
reply to post by signalfire

My dear we were there Sandy ... 2 weeks with out power///the blizzard we had 4 feet of snow 5 days with out power! I have been there. [/quote/]

I lived for 52 years in upstate NY near Lake Ontario; I've gone through ice storms including the 'big one' in 1992, 9 days without power, heat, anything, dozens of snowstorms which took days to dig out of, whether you had power or not. NYC's weather by comparison is usually mild, as is anywhere else Sandy hit.

Sandy was a special case because of the flooding and hurricane force winds but I'm afraid with climate change, it's going to get ever more dicey no matter where you live. If you're able to move, think long and hard as to where... for my money, anywhere on the Eastern Seaboard is out of the question, Florida is a Category 6 hurricane waiting to happen, the entire Gulf Coast is contaminated, the inner midwest is tornado alley, and that leaves a few places in the Pacific NW and inland California that may be optimal (if you don't count contamination from Fukushima).

Perhaps the real question is, are people going to rebuild in Sandy's devastated neighborhoods? Cuz if you do, then you haven't gotten the message. There will be more and they will be stronger.

new topics

top topics

join