It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone explain what I’m seeing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I was reviewing some satellite images today and came across this image from a Navy satellite. It is from a progression of stills that display the CONUS. I then noticed multiple concentric rings, which start from the polar region and progress down along the Rocky Mountains, and then stop just East of the Hurricane off of the Mexican Pacific coast.
Any ideas?

Here is the link to the site.
www.nrlmry.navy.mil... r_background&SUB_PRODUCT=goes&PATH=NorthAmerica-x-x/x-x-x/vis_ir_background/goes&ANIM_TYPE=Instant&DISPLAY=Single&CURRENT=20131029.1900.goes_15.visir. bckgr.NorthAmerica-x-x_x-x-x.DAYNGT.jpg&

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

The rings in your picture do not appear in the full sized picture at this link - so I'd guess they are just a rendering glitch in your software.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I agree, the original doesn't have those rings so the way the image was compressed may have caused it.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Looks like it's just due to the pixels being squashed together as it were.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The rings are to do with doppler radar mapping techniques.

www.lakeeriewx.com...
edit on 29-10-2013 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

no they aren't - these are satellite photos - not radar imagery.

not that radar rings are unknown of course - Dutchinsense gets all hot and bothered over them on YT all the time.........just they aren't relevant to photos

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul

The rings in your picture do not appear in the full sized picture at this link - so I'd guess they are just a rendering glitch in your software.

When you go to the link that I provided, I should have said that you needed to go to the upper task bar. Choose LARGE, and then ANIMATE. Then choose INSTANT. The video or stills will play and you will see the concentric circles as well.
Thank you for replying.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Violater1
I was reviewing some satellite images today and came across this image from a Navy satellite. It is from a progression of stills that display the CONUS. I then noticed multiple concentric rings, which start from the polar region and progress down along the Rocky Mountains, and then stop just East of the Hurricane off of the Mexican Pacific coast.
Any ideas?

www.nrlmry.navy.mil... r_background&SUB_PRODUCT=goes&PATH=NorthAmerica-x-x/x-x-x/vis_ir_background/goes&ANIM_TYPE=Instant&DISPLAY=Single&CURRENT=20131029.1900.goes_15.visir. bckgr.NorthAmerica-x-x_x-x-x.DAYNGT.jpg&

Just radar pattern anomaly. Nothing to worry about. Google Earth imports their data from second/third sources sometimes.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Kratos40

Violater1
Any ideas?

Just radar pattern anomaly. Nothing to worry about. Google Earth imports their data from second/third sources sometimes.

RADAR pattern anomaly??? (scratches head)
This is a satellite photo, no RADAR involved.

And you mentioned Google Earth???
Where did THAT come from?

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

As you pointed out, this is a satellite image so obviously any "radar anomaly" can be excluded. Also, the time stamp on that image is 1800 Zulu (the same as 1800 UTC = 6 pm GMT), meaning it was early afternoon to later morning (E to W) across the continental lower 48. So, as it's a daytime image and is within the normal visible spectrum -- meaning what is visible in the sky in the images should also be visible to people -- we're left with two possibilities.

Either there really was a series of huge, black concentric cloud formations of some kind all across that part of Nth America (and beyond), in which case you'd expect quite a few people to notice, or it was a glitch in their imaging software.

I haven't heard of any reports of people seeing huge, near-perfectly concentric sets of clouds or something else big black and circular hanging in the air. (If you have, please link to them.) So, to me at least, the first option seems very unlikely. That leaves a glitch as the probable explanation.

If you can access archived sets of previous days it would be helpful to see if that kind of image crops up in them as well, and if so, does it appear at the same time stamp in each.

EDIT to add: just needed to mention I reviewed the images in the frame-by-frame sequence as you said we should, and the concentric circle anomaly is not there all the time. (You never said it was and I'm aware of that.) I'm only mentioning this in case anyone suggests it's an anomaly that is always present. It certainly is not and if they suggest that, it means they haven't studied the images in the link you gave us.

This circular anomaly just appeared and was "complete", then totally disappeared again with no residual traces. If it gradually broke up and dissipated over a longer period, that would be very interesting as it would suggest something is really there in the atmosphere. But as it simply popped into existence then disappeared again, I think we have to go with what's most likely: a glitch. Not very exciting but sometimes the mundane answer is the best one.

edit on 30/10/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Violater1
RADAR pattern anomaly??? (scratches head)
This is a satellite photo, no RADAR involved.

And you mentioned Google Earth???
Where did THAT come from?

I made the same error, at first glance I though there was an overlay of radar targets, Mea Culpa! (maybe some systems do that with a Sat image)
So since it is in some pictures and not others it's just as possible that some of the sensoring satellite instruments, infrared sounder or microwaves produce their own anomalies, just as or similar, as radar. Or it could be something that microwaves are picking up. They are used for temperature readings and hotspots and cloud layer ceilings.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Violater1

Aloysius the Gaul

When you go to the link that I provided, I should have said that you needed to go to the upper task bar. Choose LARGE, and then ANIMATE. Then choose INSTANT. The video or stills will play and you will see the concentric circles as well.
Thank you for replying.

Yeah I did that - still no rings or anything strange, so I still think it is something to do with your own computer - how it is processing and displaying the images.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
As already noted, there are no anomalies on the actual image so presumaby an artifact of compression.

Edit: I wondered if it might be watermark printed when you download the image but doing so myself doesn't produce the effect. Really no idea. But it's not there on the original image nor any others when I run the animation (which is quite interesting, all the same)
edit on 30-10-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

AndyMayhew
As already noted, there are no anomalies on the actual image so presumaby an artifact of compression.

Edit: I wondered if it might be watermark printed when you download the image but doing so myself doesn't produce the effect. Really no idea. But it's not there on the original image nor any others when I run the animation (which is quite interesting, all the same)
edit on 30-10-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

That's not the same image in the OP.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

JustMike

As you pointed out, this is a satellite image so obviously any "radar anomaly" can be excluded. Also, the time stamp on that image is 1800 Zulu (the same as 1800 UTC = 6 pm GMT), meaning it was early afternoon to later morning (E to W) across the continental lower 48. So, as it's a daytime image and is within the normal visible spectrum -- meaning what is visible in the sky in the images should also be visible to people -- we're left with two possibilities.

Either there really was a series of huge, black concentric cloud formations of some kind all across that part of Nth America (and beyond), in which case you'd expect quite a few people to notice, or it was a glitch in their imaging software.

I haven't heard of any reports of people seeing huge, near-perfectly concentric sets of clouds or something else big black and circular hanging in the air. (If you have, please link to them.) So, to me at least, the first option seems very unlikely. That leaves a glitch as the probable explanation.

If you can access archived sets of previous days it would be helpful to see if that kind of image crops up in them as well, and if so, does it appear at the same time stamp in each.

EDIT to add: just needed to mention I reviewed the images in the frame-by-frame sequence as you said we should, and the concentric circle anomaly is not there all the time. (You never said it was and I'm aware of that.) I'm only mentioning this in case anyone suggests it's an anomaly that is always present. It certainly is not and if they suggest that, it means they haven't studied the images in the link you gave us.

This circular anomaly just appeared and was "complete", then totally disappeared again with no residual traces. If it gradually broke up and dissipated over a longer period, that would be very interesting as it would suggest something is really there in the atmosphere. But as it simply popped into existence then disappeared again, I think we have to go with what's most likely: a glitch. Not very exciting but sometimes the mundane answer is the best one.

edit on 30/10/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

I have read in other posts that HAARP was responsible for the anomalies. I don't know.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

I have seen similar effects under certain conditions, taking a photograph from a TV screen for example.

I am unsure how HAARP would affect how an image is rendered.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

This pic, of course, is not of the real thing. The U.S. states and the nations are not outlined in yellow from space. And look at how green everything is rendered. The land is not that green - Mexico, for example, does not have that much vegetation. Something amiss with the way the pic is presented. Oh wait, I just looked at my neighborhood, and yes, each individual property line is outlined in yellow. Never mind.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
those are the chemical trails

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Any ideas?

This may be a reason you see those circles...

No Guarantee: The satellite-based products produced here at NRL are experimental in
nature, therefore, NRL is not responsible for the accuracy of its contents.

www.nrlmry.navy.mil...

I would have to say it was a glitch.

new topics

top topics

join