It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next-Gen Face-Off

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
www.eurogamer.net...

Doesn't look good for the Xbox1, or console gamers in general. Neither hitting 1080p should be worrying, considering the spin machine the companies have put their under-powered machines through. Sony and MS have gotten lazy enough (because of their consumers) that sticking with PC/getting a PC is a clear choice for superior gaming (usually consoles arrive with a bang!) this go around. Two year old GPUs and mobile Cpus not are not going to cut it.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by finitedualities

Agreed. All the hype for slightly faster frame rate.
I built my PC almost 2 years ago, and it still outperforms the new consoles.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Never judge a console by launch, is the first thing everyone should remember.

Im buying both (ive always have, been in the industry and just always had that habit)

I am a fan boy of neither system, I am a gamer first and foremost.

PS4 and Xbox hardware wise are fairly similar, Ps4 has a little more power to start with.

The number one thing people are forgetting is the Xbox is going a different route, the cloud processing is a wild card, and once designers start using it you may see a dramatic leap over the PS4.

Think of it like a terminal on a network, its not about the terminals power, its about whats on the server side.

Im thinking that's going to give the Xbox one a huge advantage around mid console lifespan, Where the Ps4 still has to process its environmental effects on the device the xbox will be free to hand off those process to the Xbox cloud.

And of course, as always if your a spec whore gamer, Go pc, serious gamers never consider consoles anyway, even the most HARD core of Console gamer is casual compared to the dude that spent 3 grand on his rig to play battlefield.

ETA: As a disclaimer, I have worked as a district manager for a Video Game retailer, as well as directly working for Microsoft's Xbox division and even than I still liked both consoles.
edit on 29-10-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I've had every previous major console around launch, and I believe this is the first time I'll hold off for a killer app. Even with Crysis last gen, there were games worth getting (and the consoles also held up to PCs A LOT better last go-around). I think the companies saw Nintendo's approach for profit and slowly began the creep toward cheap hardware.

1080p/60fps is not too much to ask considering this has been standard for many of us for years now...

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

finitedualities
reply to post by benrl

I've had every previous major console around launch, and I believe this is the first time I'll hold off for a killer app. Even with Crysis last gen, there were games worth getting (and the consoles also held up to PCs A LOT better last go-around). I think the companies saw Nintendo's approach for profit and slowly began the creep toward cheap hardware.

1080p/60fps is not too much to ask considering this has been standard for many of us for years now...

Consoles have never held up to PC gaming, but your talking to someone that doesn't think twice about upgrading PC's every 2 years, From launch to finish the Last gen never held up to PC.

Im planning on getting a dual titan rig, PC will always be the way to go for sheer performance.

Consoles are designed for the most bang for the least bucks, these consoles even at launch wont compare to my PC now pre-upgrade, post it wont even be funny how much better PC is, but thats always been the case.

I do agree certainly a lack of killer apps.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

finitedualities
www.eurogamer.net...

Doesn't look good for the Xbox1, or console gamers in general. Neither hitting 1080p should be worrying, considering the spin machine the companies have put their under-powered machines through. Sony and MS have gotten lazy enough (because of their consumers) that sticking with PC/getting a PC is a clear choice for superior gaming (usually consoles arrive with a bang!) this go around. Two year old GPUs and mobile Cpus not are not going to cut it.

the PS4 does run at 1080p...thats confirmed here

Call of Duty: Native 1080p on PS4, 720p on Xbox One?

I agree PC' will remain more powerful than any console and mouse + keyboard control is so much easier.

I used to be a huge PC nut back in the MSN gaming zone days running right through to counter strike and early call of duty games. But now i prefer consoles. for a few hundred pounds it will give me 8 years of entertainment where i can play all the latest games without spending more and more on hardware upgrades. I can sit back on my sofa with my feet up with it on my 50" and my girlfriend particularly likes to play CoD online with me which again is easier on console. PCs themselves (as in desktops) are on the decline.

The PS4 is superior to Xbox 1 in both hardware and price. And while xbox one has always had the edge with xbox live, the playstation network has caught up and offers the same kind of experience for less money. Not to mention Sony didnt try to kneecap the consumer right at the beginning like microsoft who have now had to back pedal. Showing their corporate greed over customer satisfaction. Plus PS4 works really well with both my android tablet and my android phone.

im not a sony fan boy by the way I have had a 360 for the last 7 years and think it wipes the floor with the PS3...but this next generation belong to Sony and the PS4. PC gaming I believe takes the back seat
edit on 29-10-2013 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

Steam numbers would beg to differ on your PC taking a backseat comment. People got fed up with playing on 8 year-old machines, and we've seen the numbers upgrading PCs skyrocket. I think if you're a casual, console gaming is fine and dandy, but playing an fps with a controller is just out of the question. Why put up with robotic auto-aim and needing the highest sens just to turn around at a decent rate when you can have a 400dpi mouse with a 20+ inch 360 capable of sniping 1400p pixels?

The whole price issue is also misleading, as you'll find plenty of $500 builds that easily surpass anything "next-gen" will pump out. On top of that, you aren't paying $60-$80 a game...more like a third of that if you're patient/good at finding deals.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Never had a console. Always been PC, but we're looking at ditching cable and streaming, so we thought that a console might be a nice accessory to go with that.

Right now, since I'm the more "hardcore" of the gamers here, I'm leaning PS4, but I'm also curious about the Steam box since we already have Steam accounts on our PCs. Xbox lost me right out of the gate with their initial terms of service proposals.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I'll agree the PS4 is looking much better. I've stated before how amazingly stupid the team at MS have to be to make every single blunder (and then some) that Sony made last-gen to give them the giant foothold they have now. Focusing on everything but the gamers will never work.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

finitedualities

Steam numbers would beg to differ on your PC taking a backseat comment. People got fed up with playing on 8 year-old machines, and we've seen the numbers upgrading PCs skyrocket. I think if you're a casual, console gaming is fine and dandy, but playing an fps with a controller is just out of the question. Why put up with robotic auto-aim and needing the highest sens just to turn around at a decent rate when you can have a 400dpi mouse with a 20+ inch 360 capable of sniping 1400p pixels?

The whole price issue is also misleading, as you'll find plenty of $500 builds that easily surpass anything "next-gen" will pump out. On top of that, you aren't paying $60-$80 a game...more like a third of that if you're patient/good at finding deals.

yeah..the numbers thing happened last generation too..it usually does toward the end of a console generation.

I agreed with the mouse + keybaord controls if you noticed?

and you pay $500 for a PC...same as a console...only the PC needs upgrading. I buy a PS4 and it still plays the latest games in 5 years time. a PC will not play them on todays hardware unless you go super power which costs more than $500. Games are indeed cheaper, becaue it is not the primary market. As more and more people join the console war.

Steam by the way are joining the console war quietly. With a kind of PC/console hybrid. They have to because while they own the PC gaming market, the gaming market in general is dominated by the consoles.

Like I said, I was once a huge PC nut, but I switched to consoles and im not the only one.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Sorry, but I have to question your PC knowledge, as a system built around last-gen launch can still play ports just fine. The minimum req have been the same for those ports for 8 years (dual core/8800gt). You'll get the 720p/25-30 fps standard easy.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

It really comes down to personal preference. Most people are not very knowledgeable about PC gaming and go with the easier and cheaper option: console gaming.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

finitedualities

Sorry, but I have to question your PC knowledge, as a system built around last-gen launch can still play ports just fine. The minimum req have been the same for those ports for 8 years (dual core/8800gt). You'll get the 720p/25-30 fps standard easy.

well...I know for certain...based on plenty of experience that if I spent around the same amount of money on a PC as a console would cost (£340)...that PC would be out dated very soon and would need updating. Where as a console will last me the 8 to 10 years that the generation lasts.

to explain it further...If I want the kind of graphical and sound power which PCs can produce and is superior to consoles then I could either spend that £340 (same as PS4) now...buy a PC which would maybe (thats a big maybe) play the latest games on the highest graphical settings. But in my experience £340 doesnt buy you much. I've had graphics cards that cost that much. And that PC would definitely need upgrades soon. If I wanted to play those kind of games on the highest settings for a long period of time I have to spend MUCH more on a superior machine. Then it would last a few more years. If I dont upgrade I have to start playing games on lower graphic settings which now makes me no better than a console.

I agree with the above poster that its a matter of opinion. But over the last several years the majority's opinion has changed from PC to console with only the most hardcore of gamers sticking to PC. The reasons being.....

1. Price (PC gaming is much more expensive)
2. comfort and screen size (desktop, monitor and chair isnt as comfy as a sofa and 50" TV)
3. offline multiplayer (multiple controllers)
4. game titles not ported to the PC (Grand theft auto, final fantasy etc etc)
5. Desktop PCs are on the decline, because of the advancements in Laptops and tablets

a little research will show you that the PC gaming industry is keeping the PC industry alive at the moment. But it wont last forever. And although PC gaming is no where near dead...it doesnt control the gaming market
edit on 30-10-2013 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You're so mis-informed that it's embarrassing.

1. Price A build that destroys both consoles (Which will be much cheaper in the long run because of sales/bundles, not to mention the myriad of excellent f2p titles)

2. You realize this exists? google

3. Steam has an offline mode for almost every title these days (barring certain titles with double drm, which is becoming very rare). Also, your player count is limited only by the number of controllers and usb ports you have.

4. Many of the best games will never see a console release, while plenty see release on PC. The reason is lack of power/clumsy control schemes. Some games do make it over, but in laughable form (CSGO/nearly every Strat port).

5. You are delusional in thinking laptops (shows how little you know about PC gaming than any other statement) and tablets are comparable platforms. All but the most ridiculously expensive gaming laptops fail run taxing games above medium settings, and it's not like this is hidden knowledge.

Look, you wanna say you don't want a project, and you lack the knowledge to pull it off, that's fine. Don't lie by regurgitating the kind of points more common in the IGN comment section. Next, you'll be telling me about DDR5 RAM, lol.

ETA:Steam is really hurting d00d
edit on 30-10-2013 by finitedualities because: linky

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

No its not, at least not now. The PC will catch up with the current power of the new systems which are coming out in a few years, but till then its all just meaningless comparisons which may hold some real value, but do not tell the whole story. The ps3 which I had for what seems over 7 years I still play games and game form it are being ported over to the PC, my PC from 7 years ago would not even make a good paperweight.

The GPU and unified memory alone is something which would surpass any PC out there, even the fact that it does not have to run a bunch of necessary programs like windows would make it better by ten fold. Besides in all these PS4/new gen consoles vs PC comparisons that there doing there comparing the straight specs, but not what those specs are capable of doing, and in what way, and in what way they can be used. There was a vid I ran into a few months ago which explains the architecture and everything about it, even game developers are saying the PS4 gpu and cpu its whole architecture is superior to any current PC today.

Like I said if you look at the straight specs but not what or in what way those specs are used and what they could do you are not getting the clear picture of what exactly a machine line the PS4 can really do. Even the games which there still making for the ps3 an ancient machine and technology by PC standards, however it is still pumping out games and even games comparable to PCs today, even with all there added power PC have. I can in no way say the same thing about my PC and graphics card that I had 7 years ago, I cant even say the same about this PC which I am using now which I got a bit over half a year ago. Give it a few more months and it will be obsolete in terms of gaming, yet its technically more powerful by 10 fold then my 7 year old PS3. So as a gaming machine> What the hell is the point of that #.

Sorry to say, I mean I like PC, but a lot of the newer and better things are just fluff on it, its all just sales pitch for a market saturated in people who like to think they have it better then so and so, and need to get the latest crap, no different then the guy who has the spinning rims on his Chevy Impala. You all are being played, and even if the PC was 100x more powerful if it really has no games on it that really are that much of a difference, then what is the point of it?
edit on 3-11-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I bought the xbox and playstation last time around...sold them both soon later.
PC gaming is to me more adult and the games are much better.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

You really have no clue what you're on about if you think 7 year old peasant boxes are giving you a similar experience. I commented above how a dual core/8800 gt still plays ports at the 720p/25 fps standard of consoles. You're missing out on all the extras, however.

Just because you've never experienced high fps/high res gaming, it means it is an insignificant technology bump it seems. Enjoy being spoonfed your already outdated hardware because you can't be bothered enough to take advantage of what todays tech has to offer...(The rig I'm plotting for next year when the cards are out will be centered on 4k resolution just for an example. A resolution the coming consoles would have trouble displaying menu screens at.).

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I was thinking lately, shall I buy a ps4? But I decided to buy a 2x Gigabyte gtx 770 windforce OC edition in sli.. I will place my order tomorrow...

Basically 1 card is free (replacement due to faults from my old one) and I will buy 1... I think thats a better deal for video games!

After all, the only game I love to play in ps4, is "the order" but after my old gpu got faulty, I said $## the order. There are going to be my babies (2x) www.youtube.com...

edit on 4-11-2013 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

You misunderstand me, I have played the newest and coolest things, I stomped caring about all that # years ago, most of the games were boring and lame anyways, take away all the shiny graphics and there nothing new and nothing innovating or all that fun.

Here is a question for you...Name one current game out there which would be exclusive and blow my mind in terms of graphics and processing power and everything? The truth is there isnt any, and those that were are outdated. In fact most games that people were all psyching themselfs over a year ago, they all came to the PS3 or a console and even if they were a bit downgraded, especially considering that the console tech was outdated by at least 8 years it still was pretty dam close to the more high end gaming PC's. To tell the truth I played those games on both high end PC and the PS3 and I find it hard to care, especially since the games were not all that fun to begin with. The whole thing is just a sort of tech fetish that some people have, and that all.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Consoles and the new ones coming out use a whole different approach then PCs, comparing them based on stats alone does not tell you what the thing can do. Its why the ps3 a machine which is ancient by PC standards can put out games today and its still pushing its limits, which any PC Graphic card and gpu from the same time the PS3 came out would in no way, no hell, be able to handle those games. Some of the games that came out like The Last of US on the ps3, I still think that game even though its running on old tech is still better looking then comparable same type games on PC's which are years ahead in terms of technology and power.

Here this guy has a bunch of videos about this very topic, look it up and in some things comparing consoles to PC is like comparing apples and oranges.

edit on 5-11-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join