It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you like sharks, you may want to add this site to your fav's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
For those who love wildlife and can't get enough of shark week you might find Ocearch a site to watch. The site is a tagging and tracking project to learn about and to teach us about the habits of sharks movements, like discovering where their nurseries might be, their mating places, etc. Already the researchers have been surprised, as they tracked the movements of a shark named Lydia at this particular moment in time to Newfoundland, Canada.

From Ocearch

“Based on what we know about the historical distribution of white sharks, Lydia's movements into Canadian waters are not that surprising. What does surprise me is that she is going there this time of year when we would expect her to be moving south. This, of course, tells us that we still don't know much about white sharks, but we are learning more very day.”

The pic below shows Lydia's journey

Ocearch

Although I am finding it a trifle annoying to navigate through this site, I'm sure I will get the hang of it more after my second coffee.

Enjoy!

Tell me what you think.

edit on 29-10-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I found that site about a year ago (I think) and it's pretty cool. I want them to tag a few bull sharks to see exactly how far up the rivers they will go. I think that would be pretty cool (or scary) to see.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

I saw one a few years ago in an estuary and have never looked at a river in the same way since. What I'm wondering is whether they only go where their prey is, or do they stick to waters of a certain temperature, for instance.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Cool site bookmarked

Sharks are amazing animals but get a bad rep for nothing more than following their instincts and doing what they're meant to do , I wouldn't want to hug one but I'd miss them if they weren't there .

new topics

top topics

join