It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy's giant, stealthy new destroyer gets hull wet

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikeultra

It doesn't matter how much armored steel you put on a ship, a shaped charge warhead missile will still cut through it. The key is to stop the incoming threatbeforeit hits the ship. If you can do that you can make your ship out of toilet paper if you wanted.....that last part was a joke.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
so which one is it?

the Zumwalt will ride low to the water to minimize its radar signature

"It's absolutely massive. It's higher than the tree line on the other side. It's an absolutely huge ship — very imposing. It's massively dominating the waterfront," said Amy Lent, executive director of the Maine Maritime Museum, who watched the process from her office down river from the shipyard.

It doesn`t look very stealthy,where have i seen that shape before? Now i remember:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

And that too was revolutionary for its time.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

And no one knows if that was a stealthy design or not. The Zumwalt incorporates a lot of stealthy features in it.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Probably cost like 100 Billion though....... Might be worth it, would be a truly devastating amount of firepower.

Imagine a Phalanx gun but it's all railgun shots.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

If we built it, China would have to pay for it and Japan would have to sue us for copy right infringement.

posted on Dec, 2 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Very good article about how the DoD is handcuffing the DDG-1000 and the navy as a whole:

aviationintel.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikeultra

High tech is great thing but the threat of a battleship launching an attack against a land target is very formidable. Since the warhead is inert that should mean they can carry lots of shots. Power considerations are another issue.It hard to hide from the 16 inch shell. If they can get this to work it's threat reach will be even greater.
When I was in the USN Palestine was acting up. They announced the battle wagon was on the way. Two days before the battle wagon got there they suddenly decided to stop fighting. Not sure if that was a major reason for their decision there was no way they could respond to that type of power.
Since China has been grabbing data online this how long will it be before they start the same style ship?

posted on Dec, 17 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

and rendered completely useless if the power fails. Just like what happened to the British Frigate much the same as this. No actual guns, just electronic missiles etc.

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by greywolf45

I'm not sure, but can any modern warship operate any of it's weapons, short of deck rail mounted machine guns, in the event that there is a total power failure? Don't they still need tracking/targeting systems and electric drive to slew the guns around? Could the Missouri's main battery be operated and fire for effect without electricity?
If not then I would think/hope that they would protect the power generation stations in the ship like they would a powder magazine in today's warships and have multiple redundancies in getting power to where it's needed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join