It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some U.S. Cities Have Higher Gun Violence Than ENTIRE Nations — Check This Map

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
This is quite shocking! Below is a map which parallels the rate of gun murders in American cities to entire nations. The bigger the dot, the worse it is.

Sorry if already posted I had no luck finding it.

Each dot represents gun murders per 100,000 people. For the United States as a whole, the rate of gun homicides is about 3 per 100,000 people. Honduras is the country with the world's highest gun homicide rate, around 68 gun murders per 100,000 people.

New York, with a population of more than 8 million, had 237 people killed by guns in 2012, for a rate of around 3 gun homicides per 100,000 people. New York is a comparatively small dot. Still, New York has more gun murders per capita than Argentina, which has a population over 41 million.

What's the most dangerous city in the world? That would be Honduras' San Pedro Sula. Shockingly, San Pedro Sula had 1,218 murders for 719,447 inhabitants in 2012.

Data compiled by The Martin Prosperity Institute, building on statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, additional data from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and other sources collected by The Guardian. The statistics are budled and from a mix of international crime data (which can be incomplete) and homicide data (which is more reliable).

If it were a country, New Orleans (with a rate 62.1 gun murders per 100,000 people) would rank second in the world.

- Detroit's gun homicide rate (35.9) is just a bit less than El Salvador (39.9).

- Baltimore's rate (29.7) is not too far off that of Guatemala (34.8).

- Newark (25.4) and Miami (23.7) have gun murder statistics comparable to Colombia (27.1).

- Washington D.C. (19) has a higher rate of gun homicide than Brazil (18.1).

- Atlanta's rate (17.2) is about the same as South Africa (17).

- Cleveland (17.4) has a higher rate than the Dominican Republic (16.3).

- Gun murder in Buffalo (16.5) is similar to Panama (16.2).

- Houston's rate (12.9) is slightly higher than Ecuador's (12.7).

- Gun homicide in Chicago (11.6) is similar to Guyana (11.5).

- Phoenix's rate (10.6) is slightly higher than Mexico (10).

- Los Angeles (9.2) is comparable to the Philippines (8.9).

- Boston rate (6.2) is higher than Nicaragua (5.9).

- New York, where gun murders have declined to just four per 100,000, is still higher than Argentina (3).

So this kinda throws the ' But we have more population' argument out the window, right?

Link

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Did you know that the US is number one in the world when it comes to gun ownership, but doesnt even crack the top 25 countries in gun murder rate?

And that in life and death situations, civilians are etimated to use guns for self defense more than 77 percent of the time? And that there are over 2.5 million estimated incidents of defensive gun US each year in the US? And I'm sure these are pretty lowball numbers.

infogr.am...

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

That doesnt change facts such as these listed above

You really dont think that there is something wrong when faced with this information? No? okay,

This is probably the wrong site for this, I sometimes forget that 'pro gun' Americans are the majority on here

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
so the land of the free ....as long as i can carry a firearm ?....population rates may still apply to a degree as the quality of life plays a role in those numbers as well as the value of life...

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

No disrespect intended but whats it matter to you at the end of the day?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

None taken

I just find it hard to understand certain attitudes regarding this like many others from my part of the world, I find it interesting. I spent some time living in Washington DC and for a girl from Northern Ireland it was quite an eye opener.

People may come and call me anti-american or a pomped up European but that's not the case. I post a lot of threads about topics I find interesting and this happens to be one of them.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Your number for Honduras is actually too low, far too low, the most recent
numbers put it closer 85.5 per 100,000, that was 2012s numbers. They have
one of the highest homicide rates in the world.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

American flamewar in 5 4 3 2 1

Heres a tip iv learned just let America have there silly guns and let it be. As long as they dont bring em over here.

You can throw all the stats u like at them they wont listen andwill just throw twisted stats back how the uk is some crime ridden dangrous hell hole cause we dont allow assault rifles.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Lady_Tuatha

None taken

I just find it hard to understand certain attitudes regarding this like many others from my part of the world, I find it interesting. I spent some time living in Washington DC and for a girl from Northern Ireland it was quite an eye opener.

People may come and call me anti-american or a pomped up European but that's not the case. I post a lot of threads about topics I find interesting and this happens to be one of them.

I look at as a cultural thing. Americans have always had firearms around since birth and have been taught the Constitution in school (used to anyways) so the majority do not believe that firearms are bad, but rather the people who use them to commit crimes.

Asking Americans to give up the firearms is akin to asking the Irish to stop brewing and drinking beer and whiskey. (I'm not saying that the Irish are a bunch of lushes, but they are well known for making good spirits)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

You really dont think that there is something wrong when faced with this information? No? okay,

This is probably the wrong site for this, I sometimes forget that 'pro gun' Americans are the majority on here

Why would any American (or any person for that matter) ever be anti-gun? A gun is a tool.
Are you anti knife? Anti blunt objects?
Or maybe you are anti-fists?

Those things individually kill more Americans each year than the dreaded assault rifles you hear so much about on the news. Look it up if you dont believe me.

You are taking American cities that have a very high degree of overall crime and taking out the gun statistics only. How does the murder rates compare in Atlanta with their general crime? I've lived there and I can tell you that its all around a very crime ridden city. So is DC. So is Houston.

Honduras, Elsalvador, Venezuela, Guatemala, Jamaica, St. Kitts, Trinidad, Nevis, Tobaggo, Columbia, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Belize, Bahamas, ecuador, Mexico, Guyana, Phillipines, Dominican Republic, Panama and a few others all outrank the US in gun violence.

The infograph that I linked was compiled by the FBI unified crime report and small arms survey.

I think many of your numbers are flat out wrong. Pheonix has a higher gun violence rate than Mexico? I have a very very hard time believing that with all of the bad things happening at the border towns.

In the end, it does not really matter if you are pro-gun/anti-gun. Its a CHOICE. If you don't like guns then by all means you can choose to leave them alone. In fact only 1 out of every 5 American households has a firearm in it. Many gun owners have more than one though which is why America has so many firearms. Just remember if you ever are asleep late at night and hear somebody sneaking/breaking into your house, you will do two things and it doesnt matter if you are atheist or anti-gun..... 1. You will start praying that its just your imagination and not really an intruder, and 2. You're either going to grab a weapon to defend yourself, or you will call somebody with a weapon to come and defend you. Which of those choices is a more logical answer for you?
edit on 29-10-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Lady_Tuatha

None taken

heh, its the population densities in most places. We could probably cut crime in half if we didnt have people sammiched up like we do. 1 home, 1 acre as a general rule.
edit on 29-10-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

You are taking American cities that have a very high degree of overall crime and taking out the gun statistics only. How does the murder rates compare in Atlanta with their general crime? I've lived there and I can tell you that its all around a very crime ridden city. So is DC. So is Houston.

So do you think that some cities being 'crime ridden' justifies them having higher gun violence than some entire Nations?

I think many of your numbers are flat out wrong. Pheonix has a higher gun violence rate than Mexico? I have a very very hard time believing that with all of the bad things happening at the border towns.

Oh okay the figures compiled by The Martin Prosperity Institute from data from The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and many others are just flat out wrong.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I would imagine for the most part, where these things happen would be the ones with "gun control".
Kind of the poster child for gun ownership and carry.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

The United Nations has a pretty well documented agenda for wanting the US disarmed. There have been several thread on ATS about it in recent months. So No, I would not put stock in any "gun statistics" they put out.

And as for the CDC, why are they taking any gun statistics at all? Are they really an agency responsible for monitoring that? I thought they were the centers for DISEASE control. How are gun stats related to that?

And yes, it does matter if there is more overall crime in a place. Of course there will be more gun crime in places where there is more overall crime. New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta, and DC are all wicked cities. Ever visited any of these places? I sure have. I've never been to DC, but I've lived at or made extended visits to the others. Let me tell you, the greyhound bus stop in Atlanta is one scary place. New orleans Bourbon street on any weekend night is even scarier. Don't even get me started on Houston, funny thing is their violent crime skyrocketed after all the New Orleans Katrina refugees got relocated there.

How ironic.

I get it, Europeans have never been raised around firearms and a majority of Americans are raised to handle them. So of course one is not going to understand the gun culture of the other becasue they have been raised with a different standard.

If you cannot possess a firearm then you are totally at the mercy of those who do.
edit on 29-10-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

crazyewok

Heres a tip iv learned just let America have there silly guns and let it be. As long as they dont bring em over here.

You can throw all the stats u like at them they wont listen andwill just throw twisted stats back how the uk is some crime ridden dangrous hell hole cause we dont allow assault rifles.

yeah I think you are completely right.

Like talking to a brick wall.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

These types of anti-gun stats, assuming they are accurate, are intended to deflect from the real issue, which is general violence.

First of all, we see an immediate inaccuracy or contradiction. The map shows New York with a 4 next to it. However, the commentary says "New York, with a population of more than 8 million, had 237 people killed by guns in 2012, for a rate of around 3 gun homicides per 100,000 people."

So which is it, a rate of 3 according to the text or is it 4 as shown on the map? If they kept it at 3, it would be equal to Argentina, not more...

Now, lets look at the overall homicide rate in Argentina. Its actually 5.5, much higher than NY but this wont be reported because it contradicts the goals of the gun grabbers.

As far as they're concerned, murder is fine, so long as guns arent involved... They have zero desire to address actual violence.

In addition to all of this, we find that "Argentina makes homicides disappear". The article talks about how Argentina skews its homicide rate by mislabeling them so its actually much higher than NY, how much higher is anyone's guess.

I suspect that if we did this for other cities/countries, we would find similar results.

Another sad attempt on the part of gun grabbers.

edit on 29-10-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Lady_Tuatha

crazyewok

yeah I think you are completely right.

Like talking to a brick wall.

Then why bring it up? Unless you have a anti-gun agenda. The anti-gun and pro-gun people can throw stats at each other all day long. They can be twisted to fit the argument on either side.

Please, just let us have our silly tools and leave it at that.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

So the crime rates in some US cities is the same as in the listed countries.
So what? What's the point you are trying to make? I"m not seeing it.

Lets take one of the cities listed and learn about it ... Detroit.
It has been run into the ground by far left wing ideology. It went broke. It doesn't work.

The unemployment rate has been as high as 27%.
40% of the city street lights don't even work.
78,000 structures have been abandoned and the housing market has collapsed.
12,000 arsons a year.
63% of Detroits population has left.
82% of Detroit is black. 12% is white. 5% is hispanic. 1% is asian.
1/2 the people in Detroit are renters.
The median income level is $15,000
36% of people live below the poverty level.
72% of black Americans are born out of wedlock

So in a nut shell ... Detroit was run into the ground and is now largely abandoned and the infrastructure doesn't work. Those who live there are almost all poor, unemployed city black people. Tons of crime. Detroit is famous for it's arson fires ... especially on 'mischief night' (October 30th every year).

72% of black Americans born out of wedlock
Business Insider
Detroit Statistics
Household stats
Income levels
Crime Rate Statistics

That's not exactly how the average US citizen lives.

edit on 10/29/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yep, it's just another cherry picked survey conducted by another company that resides outside of the US. It uses UN sources as well *insert eyeroll*, so it absolutely must be spot on. LOL

Maybe we should ask the Irish to stop being drunks or that the Brits should learn how to cook.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Lady_Tuatha
This is quite shocking! Below is a map which parallels the rate of gun murders in American cities to entire nations. The bigger the dot, the worse it is.

Sorry if already posted I had no luck finding it.

Each dot represents gun murders per 100,000 people. For the United States as a whole, the rate of gun homicides is about 3 per 100,000 people. Honduras is the country with the world's highest gun homicide rate, around 68 gun murders per 100,000 people.

New York, with a population of more than 8 million, had 237 people killed by guns in 2012, for a rate of around 3 gun homicides per 100,000 people. New York is a comparatively small dot. Still, New York has more gun murders per capita than Argentina, which has a population over 41 million.

What's the most dangerous city in the world? That would be Honduras' San Pedro Sula. Shockingly, San Pedro Sula had 1,218 murders for 719,447 inhabitants in 2012.

Data compiled by The Martin Prosperity Institute, building on statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, additional data from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and other sources collected by The Guardian. The statistics are budled and from a mix of international crime data (which can be incomplete) and homicide data (which is more reliable).

If it were a country, New Orleans (with a rate 62.1 gun murders per 100,000 people) would rank second in the world.

- Detroit's gun homicide rate (35.9) is just a bit less than El Salvador (39.9).

- Baltimore's rate (29.7) is not too far off that of Guatemala (34.8).

- Newark (25.4) and Miami (23.7) have gun murder statistics comparable to Colombia (27.1).

- Los Angeles (9.2) is comparable to the Philippines (8.9).

- Boston rate (6.2) is higher than Nicaragua (5.9).

- New York, where gun murders have declined to just four per 100,000, is still higher than Argentina (3).

So this kinda throws the ' But we have more population' argument out the window, right?

Link

you can make statistics say LITERALLY whatever you want.... seriously, it's a manipulation tactic used all the time. Don't Fall For It
edit on 29-10-2013 by MikhailBakunin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join