It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we ever know the true nature of reality?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
It seems to me we might never know the true nature of reality because there isn't a true nature of reality that can be measured.

We may look at the laws of physics and theories about the universe but it will not explain anything because these things only apply to our local universe.

Maybe there's this wave function of everything that can't be measured.

It's like when you flip a coin. When it lands on heads or tails uncertainty is reduced to zero and 1 bit of information is known. Maybe this wave function of everything is in a constant state of uncertainty or it's constantly flipping and never landing on heads or tails. This is because there's nothing outside of this wave function of everything to measure it.

So the most we can say is everything is just vibrations. Constant motion or constant flipping that we can never measure so it can never be defined as this or that because it's this, that and everything else at the same moment.

Our local realities are just a combination of eigenstates of this wave function of everything. When a measurement occurs, an eigenstate becomes a measured state of our local reality. So our reality could be made of one combination of eigenstates and another reality could be made up of a different combination of eigenstates and also have a laws of physics that's different than ours.

So local universes are just different aspects of this wave function of everything that's constantly flipping and can't be measured. So the most we can say is reality is subjective to the local environment. There's subjective local reality and an undefined reality that can never be defined that gives birth to these local experiences that can be defined by local observers.

I guess Taoism explains it best:

In the foundational text of Taoism, the Tao Te Ching, Laozi explains that Tao is not a 'name' for a 'thing' but the underlying natural order of the universe whose ultimate essence is difficult to circumscribe. Tao is thus "eternally nameless” (Dao De Jing-32. Laozi) and to be distinguished from the countless 'named' things which are considered to be its manifestations.

So we can never know the true nature of reality, just the subjective nature of our local universe.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
It's nice to be reminded now and then.
Thanks

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Whenever we do, we wont be "we" anymore.

Humanity is looked at with kind eyes. That will be shown threw action, and future events.

May love live on in our hearts and minds. And only that should guide us.
edit on 29-10-2013 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

neoholographic

So we can never know the true nature of reality, just the subjective nature of our local universe.

That's right!

Our sense organs just aren't sensitive enough to feel reality. And even if they were; we are so cognitively constipated, we wouldn't be able to process the data that comprises reality. Mind expansion drugs only allow us to see only a little, mysticism and meditation the same.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

neoholographic
It seems to me we might never know the true nature of reality because there isn't a true nature of reality that can be measured.

We may look at the laws of physics and theories about the universe but it will not explain anything because these things only apply to our local universe.

Maybe there's this wave function of everything that can't be measured.

It's like when you flip a coin. When it lands on heads or tails uncertainty is reduced to zero and 1 bit of information is known. Maybe this wave function of everything is in a constant state of uncertainty or it's constantly flipping and never landing on heads or tails. This is because there's nothing outside of this wave function of everything to measure it.

So the most we can say is everything is just vibrations. Constant motion or constant flipping that we can never measure so it can never be defined as this or that because it's this, that and everything else at the same moment.

Our local realities are just a combination of eigenstates of this wave function of everything. When a measurement occurs, an eigenstate becomes a measured state of our local reality. So our reality could be made of one combination of eigenstates and another reality could be made up of a different combination of eigenstates and also have a laws of physics that's different than ours.

So local universes are just different aspects of this wave function of everything that's constantly flipping and can't be measured. So the most we can say is reality is subjective to the local environment. There's subjective local reality and an undefined reality that can never be defined that gives birth to these local experiences that can be defined by local observers.

I guess Taoism explains it best:

In the foundational text of Taoism, the Tao Te Ching, Laozi explains that Tao is not a 'name' for a 'thing' but the underlying natural order of the universe whose ultimate essence is difficult to circumscribe. Tao is thus "eternally nameless” (Dao De Jing-32. Laozi) and to be distinguished from the countless 'named' things which are considered to be its manifestations.

Have you read the Similarion of Tolkien legacy fame?

But even then... that's just the last layer of the onion
before it stops being an onion.

KPB

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Focusing on the reality we can sense, what have you figured out so far?

Anything?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I think we're getting there, slowly but surely. Thanks to the facility of mathematical equations.

We know that there is dark energy and dark matter, for example, though we can't see it - but I guess to actually know it, you would need to experience it.

For that we would require more than our basic 5 senses.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Were pretty much getting a grip on what we perceive, on what our reality is.

Many current scientist believe(well from what I heard) that what we perceive as reality to be an illusion, that the particles and atoms, act as if it were a quantum machine like hologram, on a ridiculous scale.

However, when we do start getting the answers we are looking, wouldn't that end up just bringing more questions. The universe started out from nothing, to just overall chaos, with gases all over the place, and rock smashing, and forming planets. To where it becomes order to the point, where you could believe the universe had a creator.

I don't know to much about wave or vibrations, but I do think of strings that vibrate when pulled on ether side, and a someone slaps their finger on it.

In all honestly, these things have to take their time to make good theories with very few flaws, or contradictions. I think we are starting to get the big things in the universe, but the little things might take MUCH longer.

edit on 29-10-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

But that is just it. The true nature of reality is that it only exists within our consciousness.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Bleeeeep

Focusing on the reality we can sense, what have you figured out so far?

Anything?

What makes you think that there is a reality outside of what we can sense or determine?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheNewSense

Is there an 'inside' and 'outside'?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

If there weren't, we would already have it all figured out by now.

I think.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

neoholographic

The true nature of reality can be known but it cannot be told/spoken. It would be impossible for someone to tell you the true nature of reality because it is non conceptual - it is prior to any description.
When it is seen/known for what it is, it will blow your mind away.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Itisnowagain

Is there an 'inside' and 'outside'?

Nothing exists outside of our perception.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Bleeeeep

I think.

But that would mean that we would understand everything we perceive, which is obviously not the case.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

TheNewSense

Bleeeeep

I think.

But that would mean that we would understand everything we perceive, which is obviously not the case.

What is there to understand? Seeing happens, reading happens, hearing happens. Thought arises and says 'how does that do that?' - thought happens.
All is just happening and the happening never actually 'makes' anything. Constantly flowing, ever-changing but there seems to be something separate trying to measure it. That which tries to measure it, pin it down and figure it out is the suffering because it cannot be figured out.

All is just arising spontaneously.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
There is no true nature of reality. Even "truth" is merely a word uttered, usually by someone who can only claim they know, and nothing besides.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Please take my comments in the proper context, namely as a response to an earlier post, which you obviously didn't.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

TheNewSense

Please take my comments in the proper context, namely as a response to an earlier post, which you obviously didn't.

Please explain where you think I went wrong - I don't understand?
Are you offended by something I wrote?
edit on 29-10-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

No just annoyed that you would spout random drivel when it was clear to which comment I responded and why.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join