It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"New" Leonardo da Vinci work found in castle.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
In the late 1400s, da Vinci was the court artist for Ludovico il Moro, the Duke of Milan.
He helped decorate the Duke's castle, Sforzesco Castle.

In 1498 he covered one room with murals of trees that created a canopy on the vaulted ceiling.
Here's some detail of the interwoven branches.

Workers restoring the room have uncovered murals beneath the whitewash on the walls.

Not too much to see so far but you never know with da Vinci.
www.lagazzettadelmezzogiorno.it...

At this link you will find a 2:36 video of the room;
www.theblaze.com...
It makes me happy knowing there are still artworks like this being rediscovered and restored.

edit on 28-10-2013 by tanda7 because: punctuation

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

What a beautiful painting of trees. Thanks, I've never heard of this room and this artwork by Da Vinci. Nice find. And the mural underneath, maybe he used the blank wall as a sketchpad.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I share in your happiness at this find! I can't wait to see what else they uncover in there. I will have to keep an eye out now.

Thanks for posting it. S&F!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Great find, love it. wonder if there`s more Da Vinci codes hiden in that work for Dan Brown to write another best seller story
.. S&F

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing, I look forward to finding out more about this in the coming weeks.........

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

CosmicDude
Great find, love it. wonder if there`s more Da Vinci codes hiden in that work for Dan Brown to write another best seller story
.. S&F

The tree branches will have a hidden code that only Dan Brown will be able to decipher. Such is his mind. His next book will sell even though no other mortal can see the code. To us they are just tree branches.

P

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It looks as if the uncovered sketch resembles what may have been a portion of the mural to never be finished, or perhaps scrapped all together. It looks like the roots (of the trees above?) breaking through a stone/brick wall...?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

And the mural underneath, maybe he used the blank wall as a sketchpad.

That's right, sort of.
There are other walls in the room with monochromatic murals, in other words, sketches that complete the space between the trees. da Vinci probably sketched the entire room top to bottom, then for some reason only painted the trees and the detail in the ceiling.

Some of the walls have the completed monochromatic murals but some walls were thought to be blank.

I could imagine an impatient client saying "Oh just finish painting the trees and leave the rest, already!"
It took Leo 5 months to do this room.

And then someone's third wife moving in one day and saying "Paint those four walls, we have too many sketches in here!".

It happens.

edit on 28-10-2013 by tanda7 because: lol

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

HomeBrew
It looks as if the uncovered sketch resembles what may have been a portion of the mural to never be finished, or perhaps scrapped all together. It looks like the roots (of the trees above?) breaking through a stone/brick wall...?
Exactly. The completed piece would be a painting of an aging stone wall being overrun by trees.

edit on 28-10-2013 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
That is an amazing Castle..I went last month and the 2nd pic on the OP was under restoration, it was painted by da Vinvi also the castle had a painting on display of his..he must of spent a lot of time there.. You could easily spend the whole day just walking through all the museums inside.. b e a utiful!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Aheeeeem!!! ::Clears Throat::.... Ok, so logicially, the castle is surrounded by trees, so it's only logical to whomever owned the castles wanted a tree mural...
???

I love Leonardo btw, AP studio Art Geek all the way!!!

Now for my Dan Bowen review for his next book... ready!!!

All the tree branches are interwoven as if the "Tree of Life" and we are all interconnected, tie that in to all his other books and WHAMMO! Bestseller for a 1 liner that sums it up! /wakka wakka!!!

For anyone that knows "Art" it was not uncommon that artist re-used there canvas and "painted over". It's not like they had a Canvas Store with cheap canvas' down the street.

What's underneath??? Wait for Dan Bowen's new novel!!! /wakka wakka!!!

/end sarcasm

It's beautiful, I love it! I want to see it! In person! So I can do my own Dan Bowen investigation!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
An art collector picked up a chalk on vellum drawing that has a better than 90% chance of being a lost Davinci for a song in a New York Auction,

new topics

top topics

join