It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High speed internet and cable tv. speed vs.cost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
So I pay what I seem as a lot of money for cable tv and high speed internet. I don't watch much tv but like to have it when I want it. And I pay for the highest (or 2nd) speed internet they offer.

My question is do I need high speeds internet if Im not playing World of Warcraft anymore? How fast do you need to jump from say ATS to facebook? and have the page load quickly?

My machine is a decent piece of junk that my guy hooked up with windows 7 ultimate,

Tried 2 different speed tests, got a 37.5 mbps and a 16.2 download with 7.6 and 10.7 upload.

Can anybody tell what all that means and if I need to pay for high speed anymore since I dont play WoW? But still like the occasional you tube music

Thanks.....Keith

and I pay i think 186.00 a month...mostly for every tv channel. I want to down size but that slows down internet speed. I rarely watch tv. hence the question. How fast internet do I really need?

edit on 28-10-2013 by tinner07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Dude mines like half that speed and I have no problems even if gaming. I don't remember what I pay, I think like $40 a month but I only have internet. I just have Netflix and Apple TV for movies and shows. Paying almost $200 a month for something you don't use is crazy. Just have get the basic high speed internet and if it's not fast enough upgrade until it is.

Page loads are instantaneous for me, no issues with buffering movies, no issues watching Netflix on the TV while I'm messing around online.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

I have 6 mbps down and it's more than plenty to play games, let alone do anything else on the internet. Unless you do alot of downloading of games or other items, that is alot of wasted speed.

I'll trade ya?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Holy buckets, I get between 10 and 13mbps down and less than 1mbps up. I am in australia though, and we dont need no stinking broadband servi e to compare to the world.. ;(

I pay $59 a month too, but in reality I dont really need ore for what i do. I xont watch any online movies. I download a lot of tv, but it fits in my monthly cap fine.

you can cut back for surd if all you do is web browsing!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
your country is expensive for t.v and broadband but the speed is there in the u.k you can get the package of phone /tv/broadband for £20 $36 .

i did and got it all installed for free the telephone man was shocked that i got installed for nothing as he used 80 meters of cable /free sky box and dish .

then i did a speed check 0.8 and 0.3
for broadband so no netflix as they need the min of 2 mbps and everytime i looked at the router it was out

so they got told to shove it but i still got the free box and dish
and now use the neighbours wifi free

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Thanks guys...just talked to my computer guy finally and he agrees.I don't need that fast internet. And I don't watch tv very much... but

I think it may come from spending a lot of time in jail, and living in motels...all the while keeping my job and keeping some face in front of my family that are mostly fire fighters and doctors with some military thrown in. My Dad was ASA if anybody knows what that was.

and keeping my job isnt easy. it pays ok. 50k year without overtime but it isnt easy

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I've had more success using the Business plan when it comes to internet.
You get faster, more reliable speeds, and much better service too.

TV? Why pay for that additional trap when you can torrent anything and everything you could ever want?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

geobro

so they got told to shove it but i still got the free box and dish
and now use the neighbours wifi free

Let me guess...

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

you have to love free unlimited wifi i do

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Also, never type in a hurry on a tablet. It's deleterious to your sanity when you return to a keyboard and read back what mess you left..

that was using a 3g connection too, on public transport. $14 a month for 1.5gb. and speeds .. that suck nuts.

seriously, if I could get what you get, Id' consider it, but not at that price.

as it is I am forced to pay this as it's the lowest plan I can get without being ridiculously capped in quota. Everything I download and upload counts towards my total quota.. 125gb per month.

so if I could download at 30gb I'd only go through that faster.. It's like having 1 km of road to drive on with a few stops on the way. You can get to them at 5km/h and complain, or you can get to them at 50km/h and then you're at the end of the road before you know it, and you have to pay for more road to drive on or sit there in the car listening to the am radio for the rest of the month.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I just got bumped up from 60Mb/s to 150 today. I'm in a cable area. Been with the same provider since 99 or 2000, no way I'd swap for anyone else. (Sky and BT are a bit cheaper but I love my tivo box too)

I downloaded a 700 meg torrent earlier and it was complete in about 5 minutes.

top topics

join