It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Vertical Forest is Growing in the Middle of a City

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

lol I think the opposite apartments have to cut the trees and bushes from their neighbors in about twenty years from now ..
edit on 0b06America/ChicagoWed, 30 Oct 2013 14:02:06 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoWed, 30 Oct 2013 14:02:06 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by randyvs

That would be such a horrible thing for someone to do. One pissed off tenant could possibly ruin everything.

I agree Grim. God help me I just don't even know what gets into me sometimes. I'm horrible !

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

pheonix358
Yes, this looks like a good idea. Typical architects, no thought to tomorrow.

That thing will be overgrown within a year. How does anyone prune a tree of a bush on the outside. I can see residents falling to their death pruners in hand. AAAAAHHHHHHH arivadurteeeeeeeeee!

Or do they just snip and let it fall! Let alone what trees and bushes can do to concrete over time. I know on day one everything will be fine, but five years from now?

I see this ending badly.

Nice story OP

P

Not really. There are trees that don't grow to certain sizes. Just because your world tells you something can te done. Doesn't mean you don't exercise the necessary creativity to make it happen. Unless of course you're the government.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Would moss also work well in this instance? I know virtually nothing about moss but I think a building covered by it would be neat

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Am I the only one who finds it unnatural, ungly and stupid? just like the rest of the city's buildings.
It is just some sad miserable trees in a tall cage of concrete.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

This could be the beginning of a forest of Bonzai's!

I wouldn't mind living in a building like this, I have only lived in an apartment block once and if I have the choice I will never do so again!

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
I read the title and thought, "Aren't all forests vertical?"

Trees generally grow vertically, yes. Plants grow towards the light source. You can do fun things with this bit of knowledge if you like to grow stuff.

Forests of trees generally grow side by side, in a horizontal fashion.

But hey, you are a pretty popular member with a neat avatar, so yeah your "witty" and "clever" comment definitely deserved more stars than anybody on page one except the op and one other person lol! XD stars do not matter to me of course but holy jeez people....seriously? Lol XD

Now, a vertical or horizontal FOREST of horizontal TREES, would be something of interest...same with a vertical FOREST of vertical TREES. You'll be alright bud! You just need to study a bit on the difference between an individual tree, and a forest of trees

Anyway............ I too, am concerned about the roots and the possible effects of animal/insect life on the structure. A forest is like a biosphere or whatever... And you cannot keep everything out of it even in the middle of a city. And what about if some jerk decides to release fire ants or termites or some other pest. I don't know if fire ants live in the area or survive the climate or WHATEVER, but you get my point I hope...there is surely some pest that could be released. Trees can also be poisoned.

I would think smaller plant life, like ferns or shrubs or something would be more manageable. I'm really curious about how they plan to deal with the roots... I thought roots could penetrate almost anything. Maybe steel plates would work? And they will just not have very long roots and not be very healthy and robust? A whole vertical forest of Charlie Brown Christmas trees?
I wish I could do images on my mobile...but links I can do!

Charlie Brown Xmas tree: n7ugc.disney.go.com...< br />
Hope it works!

Every year I have to watch that movie and the Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer movie with the elf who wanted to be a dentist, the island of misfit toys, the "bumble" and the song that goes "silver and gold...silver and gold..." aaand that's all the words I know to that song. Those are the two best animated Christmas movies. Frosty the Snowman too. Non animated would be National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, and then A Christmas Story is also pretty good...also, anything based on the Ebenezer Scrooge story is alright with me.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Thought I would do an update with a few pics of how the building turned out. I think it looks pretty awesome try to keep in mind the vegetation still hasn't completely filled in.

The pic below I think is an artist rendering of a future project.

That reminds me I need to get some plants at home depot today. I am trying to get the house fixed up to sell within the next year.
edit on 29-6-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join