It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 Corinthians; The saints and the idols

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
In the previous passage, from v6 of the same chapter, Paul was reminding the Corinthians of passages of idolatry in Israel’s history and warning them not to follow the bad example.
These include the episode at Shiittim (Numbers ch25) where idolatry was combined with sexual misbehaviour.
In Revelation ch2 v14, the letter to Pergamum refers to the same episode in complaining about the same issue; “…the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling-block before the sons of Israel, that they might eat meat sacrificed to idols and practice immorality”.
“Jezebel”, in the next letter, is teaching the same combination.
Evidently the problem which Paul is discussing remained a living issue in the next generation on the other side of the Aegean

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
N.B. In v18 Paul refers to the Old Testament people as “Israel according to the flesh”- KATA SARKA
He normally thinks in terms of a contrast between “flesh” and “Spirit”.
The implication is that the church is to be understood, in contrast, as “Israel according to the Spirit”.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

The sequence of threads in this series is expected to be as follows;

Defining the church
The calling and the cross
The calling and the Spirit
The calling and the teachers
The saint and his holiness
The saints and the sinner
The saints and the idols (current thread)
The fellowship and the common Spirit
The fellowship and the gifts
The fellowship and the Supper
The fellowship and its love
The waiting and the resurrection

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The old ones are the best.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Weird how Paul quotes Jesus at the last supper.

Since Paul wasn't at the last supper.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ashisnotanidiot
Presumably those who were there passed on the story to others and it became well-known. I can quote what Jesus said at the Last Supper, and I wasn't there either.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI2
Presumably those who were there passed on the story to others and it became well-known. I can quote what Jesus said at the Last Supper, and I wasn't there either.

Revelation 2:14
Nevertheless, I have a few things against you: There are some among you who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin so that they ate food sacrificed to idols and committed sexual immorality.

1 Corinth 8:7-8
But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

One of those is a message from God, one of those is a message from Paul.

Which one will God hold you to?

When we talk about "contradictions" in the bible, it's really contradictions between God and Paul.

Unless you realise there are warnings everywhere in the bible about Paul being a false prophet.
edit on 18-2-2024 by ashisnotanidiot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 02:14 AM
link   
"Paul is bad" is just the excuse that modern people are using to get out of believing in the gospel. There is no reason why I should try to argue with you on that fake issue, and I won't respond to future suggestions of that kind.

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI2
"Paul is bad" is just the excuse that modern people are using to get out of believing in the gospel. There is no reason why I should try to argue with you on that fake issue, and I won't respond to future suggestions of that kind.

No, Paul didn't write the gospels.

What Paul wrote was at odds with the Gospels.

The Bible literally tells you you're spreading false doctrine... In Jesus' own words, no less.

I guess it's just easier to buy into false doctrine than to follow God.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join