It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many Marines will die Now?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
In reviewing this "incident" where a Marine is assumed to have killed a wounded terrorist, a question has arisen. With such an uproar how many Marines will now "hesitate" and indeed be killed by a faking terrorist?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well, since there have been some thousand or more insurgents captured, and this is the only case which has come to light of an unarmed injured prisoner being shot, it seems to me the Marines are by and large handling things pretty well.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
As this "epoch" in the journals of war unfolds, the news of someone being "court marshalled" will get around fast. Some of those "kids" are going to think about it and get killed. And the same in the next phase, and so on. I know many cops who have had a similar thing happen and end up dead.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
One good thing - not all soldiers are negatively affected. I heard on the radio this morning a corporal said he would have done the same thing, and a sergeant said he would have shot the guy twice just to make sure he was dead.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well I can t seem to blame them, Why do we have to follow a 'code' when thy enemy WILL not? Just becuase we are better than that? Not one American life should be lost to this kind of chance. Not ONE!

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I will get flamed for this but whatever, They have a history of faking surrender and then pulling a gun or bomb. They also booby trap dead and wounded (sounds like another war and another time)

If they dont want there wounded killed quit doing the above. Till then dont whine because of it.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

In reviewing this "incident" where a Marine is assumed to have killed a wounded terrorist, a question has arisen.

First off, let's say "killed a "suspected" terrorist".

Secondly, HELL YEAH this will make it far more dangerous for Marines.

People will now fight to the death if they figure they are going to get capped while they are wounded and unarmed anyway.

jako

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Actually my husband blames the person that took the video of the shoting, he said cameras should not be allowed in a combact zone due to exactly what is going on right now.

After all it was a Marine the one that is in the hit for this you know.

[edit on 16-11-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Marg, I wanted to say just that earlier but thought the "freedom of the press" types would turn this thread. Your and your hubby are right. Cameras don't need to be in combat, period. It has always helped the enemy back to even Korea.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The real bottom line is this:

The Navy will investigate. They are like the internal affairs section of any police force. Usually harder on thier own than anyone else would be. For now its just speculation on our part.

1) We are sitting behing a computer all warm and fuzzy sipping egg nog, not in the middle of urban combat in a war zone. Untill direct evidence proves otherwise I don't want to second quess the guy.

2) If this guy committed a war crime he will be charged and tried for it.

I agree with what Amuk said:

They have a history of faking surrender and then pulling a gun or bomb. They also booby trap dead and wounded (sounds like another war and another time)

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
FredT investigation or not the fate of that soldier has been sealed, just because somebody got a viedeo.

The military is very funny when it comes to public image, he will be made an example of.

Sad but true.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I heard on the radio this morning a corporal said he would have done the same thing, and a sergeant said he would have shot the guy twice just to make sure he was dead.

I am hearing similar sentiments from local military - most common comment is people have no idea what it is like to be in that situation, until they are they have no business passing judgement.

I finally had the chance to see the whole video - I honestly don't know what I would have done, probably the same. Considering what that kid had been through I can see why he didn't want to take the chance the guy was boobytrapped.

B.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The military is very funny when it comes to public image, he will be made an example of.Sad but true.

Boy I hope you are wrong on this one marg (if he is innocent)

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Sorry, but I never did get this whole "aid to the enemy" idea. In my book, the only time to do this is when the battle is completely over (i.e. shots aren't still be fired in your area and they've surrendered). Otherwise, I'd have put a cap in his ass too.

Until they surrender, they are combatants. You don't have long to think when someone has a gun on you, or when bullets are flying around you. You kill the enemy. That's your job as a soldier.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
FredT, based on world opinion I do think this kid is toast. It won't matter what he says, or what the investigation shows. The world will call for his head. We shall see how strong "W" really is? Political pressure will be.....

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Yes, over the past couple years, we can really see how the military branch of our armed forces cares about a "public image".

This guy will be cleared, and rightly so. It's documented that surrendering and deceased insurgents are used as weapons, and you're angry at this guy for making sure a person who was trying to kill him, moments before, is dead? Give me a break. You people need to wake up and finally realize war isn't about handing out chocolate bars to kids or tearing down statues; it's about killing the other guys before they get the chance to kill you, which, they undoubtedly do, unless you are decisive. I have my own beef with the government, but i'm not about to condemn someone for looking out for himself and his brothers in combat.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Am I the only one who watched this video and was sickened by it?

The guy is UNARMED, lying against the wall, making no movements. No weapons, and he is shot in the head by a Marine rifle.

Summarily executed. Capped.

Next time a U.S. soldier is captured and killed, why don't you all save your shock and horror.

Who was he? Who knows. A terrorist who eats Western babies? A cobbler who grabbed a rifle to fight off the Americans?

The man is guilty of murder. He is doing something contrary to the Geneva Conventions. Bottom line. Circumstances be damned. He shot an unarmed man.

"Yeah but he was just shot yesterday, he could have been pissed"

Big deal. He's a soldier, he should deal with it. If he doesn't and he commits murder, he gets tried for it.

And as to those of you who say it's the CAMERAMAN's fault, um, WHAT? People don't need to know this stuff? Why not, pray tell?

j

jako

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
And you can be sure from the video that he wasn't hiding a grenade because......?

The kid had a fellow Marine in his company killed by a booby-trapped body just the day before. He had himself been shot in the face just the day before. Too much history of these 'insurgents' doing this type of thing in the past. Waving the UCMJ at them will not work.

Jakomo, were you as upset when beheadings took place? How about the latest murder - the woman peace worker? How about the civilians that were massacred and hung from the bridge? Aren't those even more outrageous?

[edit on 16-11-2004 by jsobecky]

TPL

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo

Am I the only one who watched this video and was sickened by it?

The guy is UNARMED, lying against the wall, making no movements. No weapons, and he is shot in the head by a Marine rifle.

Summarily executed. Capped.

Next time a U.S. soldier is captured and killed, why don't you all save your shock and horror.

Who was he? Who knows. A terrorist who eats Western babies? A cobbler who grabbed a rifle to fight off the Americans?

The man is guilty of murder. He is doing something contrary to the Geneva Conventions. Bottom line. Circumstances be damned. He shot an unarmed man.

"Yeah but he was just shot yesterday, he could have been pissed"

Big deal. He's a soldier, he should deal with it. If he doesn't and he commits murder, he gets tried for it.

And as to those of you who say it's the CAMERAMAN's fault, um, WHAT? People don't need to know this stuff? Why not, pray tell?

j

jako

I was sickened, yet at the same time i try to put myself in the mindset of the soldier. If i was him i would have shot him in the arms if i perceived a threat.

The thing is though the soldier made a concious decision, not a typical gut reaction which may have been more forgivable.

I think the soldiers fate is sealed however.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by x_y_no
Well, since there have been some thousand or more insurgents captured, and this is the only case which has come to light of an unarmed injured prisoner being shot, it seems to me the Marines are by and large handling things pretty well.

The problem may well be that we are only fed the stuff they want to feed us. We don't know how much this really happens.

Incidents like this don't get reported in the mainstream press.

One Iraq veteran had this to say.

As far as Im concerned, the real war did not begin until they saw us murdering innocent civilians, he said. I mean, they were witnessing their loved ones being murdered by US Marines. Its kind of hard to tell someone that they are being liberated when they just saw their child shot or lost their husband or grandmother.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join