It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Yorkers being profiled after shopping. Cops check items against receipts.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Personally, if this happened to me I would immediately turn around and go back inside the store and return everything I purchased. Then I would tell them that the police are performing illegal searches on their customers and I will not return until the company takes action to stop it. Not that it would do any good but it would make me feel better on the inside that I'm not supporting a company that supports such actions.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

buster2010

Happy1
reply to post by VforVendettea

Well, NYC just keeps voting for the nazi democrats - what do they expect? This is obviously, what they want.

Does one of these elected Democrats own the store? Well which is it? Are the Democrats Nazis or Communist seeing how the TP'ers cry both. Go get someone the explain the difference between the two to you.

Authoritarian is authoritarian. The only difference is the way in which they handle the economy.

In either case you are screwed, though.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

This is a little different though as it's the police checking the customers items against the receipts once they are out of the store. Also that the police tend to target minorities. The police have no business stopping anyone. Once you are out of the store it doesn't matter if you have owned and carried those items for 5 seconds or 10,000 years, searching you for no reason is an illegal search.

It's become a problem in New York with cops stopping and frisking random pedestrians, this is just ramping it up by harassing shoppers and hoping to catch a shoplifter.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

If they were off duty, but working for Macy's in their police uniform would that not be illegal? I am pretty sure it would be. Either way they would still have no power outside of the store and unless they had actual evidence a crime was being committed.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by peter_kandra

This isn't a case where a store checks every receipt, business as usual. It is cops that are singling out (seemingly only minorities) people and checking their items against their receipts. The reason they gave to this man was that they lost track of him on camera. That means they were watching him closely despite not having a reason, and then lost him for a second and panicked. He didn't do anything to deserve being singled out and he was illegally searched after he left the store by NYC police.

You know what the Strokes say about New York City cops though..

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by grey580

If they were off duty, but working for Macy's in their police uniform would that not be illegal? I am pretty sure it would be. Either way they would still have no power outside of the store and unless they had actual evidence a crime was being committed.

AFAIK it's not illegal for a cop to be in uniform while off duty.
I see them doing this all the time. Usually off duty cops work things like ball games or while crews are doing road work.

And while not on duty they can call an on duty officer to come and take care of things.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by overratedpatriotism

That is correct.

At one point in time I was a licensed florida security guard.

In the class they give you for the license they go over legality of stopping someone who may or may not be stealing.

They are very clear about how you must have a consistent trail from the time someone "pocketed" an item to the time they attempted to leave the store.

Walking around with an item in a pocket was not sufficient evidence of theft. Leaving the store with the item is.

And a customer can sue if, for example, they put somethign in their pocket. Then put it back and left. If you stop them and they don't have the merchandise anymore they aren't stealing and you are accusing them of theft. But they have in fact not stolen anything.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Diabolical

Around here they do it while off duty, and get paid by the store to provide security it is more of a side job. It is not on the taxpayers bill. To be honest, I like having actual law enforcement at the entrance of store I am shopping at. It keeps the thugs looking for a target of opportunity away. They will go after an easier mark.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

They can wear it I'm sure.. but they can't stop and search people, or pull people over off duty. That is getting into creepy territory like the cop that would pull women over illegally and abuse them.

They can't do anything odd duty. Ever hear a cop that doesn't so something citing they are off duty, goes both ways.
edit on 31-10-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

That's foolish. You know the saying about sacrificing freedom for safety. Maybe you shop in exceedingly shady places.. I dunno. You can bet you are more likely to ne targeted by a police officer than you are a criminal.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

rangerdanger
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

What's the big deal? The door greeters at Wal-Mart check my receipt every time I leave. Doesn't mean it's profiling.

Really? I'd have to say you're being profiled then, as the only time I've ever been stopped by a greeter, is if me or one of my kids are carrying something out that's not in a bag.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

The difference is you're security. You're watching cameras, you know if someone has stolen something or not. Unlike the police officers, they're just waiting outside and then checking bags of customers without any camera footage, without any reasoning other than they just want to see.

As someone else said, looks like they have far too many cops on the payroll. Maybe time to cut the budget and force the PD to use it more wisely.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
If a walmart person asks you to see your reciept just say no thanks. Ive done it plenty of times. Mainly because the last time I let them check it, when I bought the computer monitor im using now, the lady accused me of stealing it because she was too dumb to read the receipt. Wasted 5 minutes of my time and I didnt appreciate it, especially since I was at the fast lane checkout right next to her, so Im sure she could see me at the line. Now I just walk past and dont care, perhaps if it was an officer of the law it would be different but Im not going to let some stupid walmart greeter waste my time and accuse me of doing something wrong because they dont understand their own system.

And for those curious, the monitor was $50 off and the reciept said some wierd # rather than "HP Flatscreen Monitor" or whatever. You could still tell it was the monitor since it was the only big item I had and it said $129.99 after the discount number that walmarts system uses. And no, I havent had anyone chase me down when I told the greeter asking to check my receipt "no". Most of the time theyre just some old fartbag who wants to waste peoples time, not people with actual authority.

edit on 31-10-2013 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Unless you consider not being paranoid one of your freedoms. Could you tell me exactly what liberty I have given away in my post?

overratedpatriotism
Around here they do it while off duty, and get paid by the store to provide security it is more of a side job. It is not on the taxpayers bill. To be honest, I like having actual law enforcement at the entrance of store I am shopping at. It keeps the thugs looking for a target of opportunity away. They will go after an easier mark.

Since I am not paranoid, having an off duty officer that respects the constitution at the entrance of a store I shop at is not sacrificing any liberties at all. It does offend you for some reason though.

edit on 31-10-2013 by overratedpatriotism because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

snowspirit
If the stores are so worried, shouldn't they have their own security?

If regular cops are doing this, they clearly have too many cops on the payroll. They should be responding to calls of criminal behaviour, not checking people's bags on the slim chance someone might have stolen a scarf
*rolls eyes* (arghh, I need an emoticon)

Their security is sitting driving a Taxi Cab in Pakistan monitoring the surveillance system, notifying police in their garbled, mouth full of IDK Monkey Testicles speech that someone wasn't seen on the surveillance system at some point during the shopping excursion.

Remember police have no right to search or seizure without a warrant simply tell them no and there aint a damn thing they could do about it.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Really?
How about the right against illegal search and seizure?

Did you even read the article? You argued the point made in the thread it seems, without knowing what the thread is about. You made up alternative scenarios.

This is a store in NY where cops are searching people who leave the store who have NOT been seen stealing. That is illegal. If you want to submit to it you are forfeiting a right.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

You keep throwing around these, borderline non sequitur, Alex Jones esque, shock phrases about giving up one's rights and sacrificing freedoms for safety without any context about what exactly I was giving up by feeling comfortable around a sheriff deputy who respects the constitution. Please quote me on where I gave up any freedom because I cannot seem to find the post where I have said that in this thread.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You maybe need to look up the meaning of non sequitur (borderline lol - might as well include a fine print disclaimer at the bottom of your post: *don't really know what I am talking about). Nothing Alex Jones-esque about what i'm saying, nothing sensationalist. You apparently are just unable to comprehend the problem and for some reason want to deny it. You understand that this came from CNN right? Not infowars (i actually quite despise Alex Jones).

You are being naive and are making a fool out of yourself.
edit on 7-11-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join