It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second Tesla Goes Down In Flames in Mexico City Crash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Looks like we have a runner up to the old Ford Pinto and Fiskers in the exploding car award category.

Second Tesla Goes Down In Flames Following Mexico City Crash

The last time a Tesla Model S struck an object in the road and burst into flames, it resulted in a rather dramatic stock price demise and a hastily put together PR blitz explaining that "there is nothing to see here, move along."

We wondered at the time how soon we would hear the second 'crackle' of battery packs exploding and sure enough, less than a month later, Jalopnik reports (as the clip below shows) another Tesla Model S has caught fire in a Mexico city following a crash. How many Fiskers went up in flames before people started doubting that company's reassurances?

And some color from Jalopnik via the Tesla spokesperson: “We were able to contact the driver quickly and are pleased that he is safe. This was a significant accident where the car was traveling at such a high speed that it smashed through a concrete wall and then hit a large tree, yet the driver walked away from the car with no permanent injury. He is appreciative of the safety and performance of the car and has asked if we can expedite delivery of his next Model S.”

How soon can my next Model S get here?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I'm pretty sure my pickup would burst into flames as well if it had gone through a concrete wall and then smacked into a tree.

If there's a flaw in the design, I hope they get it worked out. These sorts of innovations are important to our future.
edit on 28-10-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Let me guess...........Tesla got a "Green Loan" too????

Shaking head.....

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Reading the accident details I don't believe the guy would be safe driving ANYTHING.Amazing no one got hurt.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

True. I've seen cars burning before as well just due to the oil on the engine block catching fire. What did surprise me in the video was the explosion after the fire from what appeared to be the batteries.

Remember the old Pinto design flaw in the gas tanks? I wonder if the Tesla has some flaw as well.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Anti-electric car BS.

Do you know the statistics of regular gas power cars that go up in flames?

Even with 50 (its only been 2) going up Tesla would still have the average gas guzzler beat on those numbers.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I'm sure it does have some flaws, like those damned pintos. Seen a few of them on fire.

I just hope they get it worked out and are able to present a cost-effective, viable solution to the combustion engine. Believe me, I love my pickups....but I hate filling them up.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by sheepslayer247

True. I've seen cars burning before as well just due to the oil on the engine block catching fire. What did surprise me in the video was the explosion after the fire from what appeared to be the batteries.

Remember the old Pinto design flaw in the gas tanks? I wonder if the Tesla has some flaw as well.

I was just a kid when my uncle got his first new car.A nice shiny Ford Pinto,lol.Yes the gas tanks were rupturing then exploding.Quite a few too!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Is this the other fire you guys are talking about?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

benrl
reply to post by Bassago

Anti-electric car BS.

Absolutely! Because in America all cars must be at least a minimum of 300 HP, be 8 ft wide 28 ft long minimum. Except in Oregon and New York where they must use hamster power.

Do you know the statistics of regular gas power cars that go up in flames?
Even with 50 (its only been 2) going up Tesla would still have the average gas guzzler beat on those numbers.

Nope not off the top of my head. I guess if my choice is between exploding battery packs or an exploding rolling fuel depot I'd be at a loss to choose. Pinto or Tesla? Pinto or Tesla? I can't decide.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Looks like it was.

Sounded like it was too from the sound of the secondary explosion.

What a design, if the burning doesn't get you the explosion will.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

sheepslayer247
reply to post by Bassago

I'm pretty sure my pickup would burst into flames as well if it had gone through a concrete wall and then smacked into a tree.

If there's a flaw in the design, I hope they get it worked out. These sorts of innovations are important to our future.
edit on 28-10-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

I'm pretty sure my car would have gone *SPLAT* once it hit the wall, they would have found me somewhere around the floor, the engine block, a little on the wall etc. The tesla blasts through a concrete wall, smacks a tree and blows up. To think though, I never thought an airplane doing that to the Pentagon was possible!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Two fires.
Guess its time to scrap the electric car then, eh?

Seems that's what this thread suggests. Captain Status Quo. Haha

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

What a design, if the burning doesn't get you the explosion will.
In both cases it looks like the fire is consuming the car, too. Probably its made of plastic to be lightweight. I dunno how much the batteries weigh…

or what they are made of. What causes them to explode like that in the fire?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
NVM....

edit on 10/28/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
These lithium-ion batteries power up to an 85kwh motor and accessories, this is a lot of power. Electric cars are really still in the infancy stage and with the proper safety devices (breakers, thermal controls, etc) will be a good alternative, someday. These batteries location and containment seem to be the key, but this crash would take out any volvo and maybe the driver. Tesla is a true test to the future and when they get the short circuit issue solved, will be the leader in this technology. Early gasoline powered cars were unreliable, dangerous and did not last as long as they should without major repairs. The electric car does have its issues, But innovation will be the carrier of the next great car. keep on digging, the answer is not far...

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Maybe it was another Hastings-style hit, AKA a drone attack.

Hmmmm, I wonder how the Ford cars made back in the day out of hemp fiber, hemp fabric and using hemp oil for gas would have fared? And would anyone have minded if they burnt, albeit slowly?

Now I'll prolly get banned for sure...

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Bassago
Looks like we have a runner up to the old Ford Pinto... in the exploding car award category.

Yup. It was called the Pontiac Fiero, and had engine fires galore. Fiskers and Tesla aren't even close to being a blip on that list.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This is anti green technology propaganda. What car doesn't have the potential to explode after being in a crash. Just scare tactics to scare the weak minded away from alternative technologies and keep us dependent on oil and fossil fuels. Just my opinion though.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

edit on 28-10-2013 by MerkabaRising87 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join