It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police aim guns at motorists going through checkpoint

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

They have someone pinned into an area, but not always an exact area, and they may not have eyes on them. That means the person can call a friend to come “rescue” them and drive them out of the police cordon, or they can jack someones car, hide in the back, and force them to drive them out of the area. The police will stop all vehicles going through that cordon to check that they are not assisting in his escaping the area either willingly or not.

Valid point Defcon5, but after we have seen situations like the Boston Bombing where whole neighborhoods were locked down, (and yes, there were families walking out of their houses having guns pointed at them) and not to mention Adam Kokesh, when the police cordoned off the whole block he lived on and refused to allow even the people whom lived their to go to their homes????

The militarized behavior of our police departments is definitely something we all need to be wary of and take notice.....

It seems to me that our military has more rules of engagement than the police departments do......

edit on 28-10-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

defcon5

benrl
Because hollywood movies are a bastion of accuracy when it comes to police procedure and tactics...

I'm not saying that they are, what I am saying is that the concept was around and in use long before 911. there is nothing new about cordoning off an area and searching all vehicles entering or leaving that cordon. That is not a “checkpoint”, its a “roadblock”, or a police “cordon”.

You are absolutely right, the concept of gross police violation of our rights has been around forever.

Its just become policy now, where before it was the stuff of hollywood movies.

Ive been through road blocks in the past, never had a gun pointed at me, guess cops are watching the same movies as you now.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
check·point
noun \ˈchek-ˌpȯint\

: a place where people, cars, etc., are searched by someone (such as a police officer) before being allowed to continue

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
And for folks wondering about the "angle" of the weapon, if you enlarge the pic and look at the driver's eyes, they are trained on the weapon, not the cop.

Dangerous situation. The cop does not have that man's attention. His assault rifle does.

At least Johnny Rambo's finger isn't on the trigger.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

cor·don
/ˈkôrdn/
noun
noun: cordon; plural noun: cordons
1. a line or circle of police, soldiers, or guards preventing access to or from an area or building.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

JayinAR
And for folks wondering about the "angle" of the weapon, if you enlarge the pic and look at the driver's eyes, they are trained on the weapon, not the cop.

Dangerous situation. The cop does not have that man's attention. His assault rifle does.

At least Johnny Rambo's finger isn't on the trigger.

that was the only saving grace of the image.

The idiot at least knew enough to exercise trigger control, if not muzzle control.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Being a hospital worker I have been involved in this in person. We had someone at our hospital do something (I’m not going to go into details), and then hide in a area around the hospital and surrounding buildings. The police had them triangulated in the area via his cell phone, but they didn't have an exact position. So they cordoned off the area, locked down the hospital, and had all the roads closed.

The person had called for a family member to drive in an rescue them, then drive them back outside the police cordon. Because the police had the area cordoned off, and were stopping all cars, plus they intercepted the phone call, they caught and held the family member, and prevented his escape. If he had attempted to jack someone and have them drive him out, they would have similarly been caught.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yes, it is not Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin and not permanent but still fits the definition. Maybe the PC people will rename it "looking for a date for the upcoming police ball".

Even if they stopped only that one guy and pointed a rifle in his face, it is still the main point that was brought up as high questionable if not wrong.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I have to assume you are intentionally just overlooking the fact the cop has an assault rifle trained on this man's face.

Unnecessary.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Being a hospital worker I have been involved in this in person. We had someone at our hospital do something (I’m not going to go into details), and then hide in a area around the hospital and surrounding buildings. The police had them triangulated in the area via his cell phone, but they didn't have an exact position. So they cordoned off the area, locked down the hospital, and had all the roads closed.

The person had called for a family member to drive in an rescue them, then drive them back outside the police cordon. Because the police had the area cordoned off, and were stopping all cars, plus they intercepted the phone call, they caught and held the family member, and prevented his escape. If he had attempted to jack someone and have them drive him out, they would have similarly been caught.

I am not in any way saying that the police shouldn't be able to do their job. But did the police point a gun in the face of those whom were approaching the road blocks that you are speaking of????

That's all I am trying to say here. I grew up with guns, and if my father caught me sneaking in the closet to check one of his guns out, I would have had at least one finger broken! Guns are NOT toys! I am also a vet and to be honest with you, when I saw the picture that is the focus of this OP, it just made my skin crawl. When those whom we think are there to protect us, have the right to put a loaded gun in our face, just how far is our country from becoming like all of those terrible ones we learned about in history class?

T&C prevents me to say what I would do to a cop whom stuck the muzzle of their loaded weapon in my face, when I did not do anything wrong.......

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

seeker1963
I am not in any way saying that the police shouldn't be able to do their job. But did the police point a gun in the face of those whom were approaching the road blocks that you are speaking of????

Well not in their face per say, but they would have weapons drawn.
They don't know if this desperate person is hiding on the floor of the passenger side, or in the back seat. They are going to approach every vehicle as though the suspect is in it, because the one time they don't.......

I have had a cop draw out on me before. I told him that I had to go into my center console to get my insurance paperwork, the officer stepped back, pulled his gun and held it at his side. He later thanked me for telling him in advance that I was going to do that. Its really not that big a deal, and yeah, that was also before 911.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

JayinAR
I have to assume you are intentionally just overlooking the fact the cop has an assault rifle trained on this man's face.

I have to assume that you are intentionally overlooking that is most likely “stock” footage or a staged photo.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

defcon5

JayinAR

I have to assume that you are intentionally overlooking that is most likely “stock” footage or a staged photo.

Really, staged? The lengths some people go.. Well, I guess we are on a conspiracy site afterall.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I can dig innocence until guilt is proven.

Of course the problem in this society is these guys are innocent even after guilt is proven.

And there are plenty of folks right here who line up to make sure it stays that way, huh?

If people don't speak up nothing will change.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Its extremely common for the news to use stock or staged photos. Additionally, even if that is a real photo, the photographer could have set up in a way that parallax makes it appear that the gun is more pointed in the drivers face then it really is. Look at the officers trigger finger, it appears that he may be pointing at something with that hand, but not taking his hand of the rifle. I've never seen anyone keep their finger THAT far off the housing, it would tire out quickly.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Except the article in question is about exactly what is in the photo. If it was a civilian holding a gun to a cops head I'm sure you would be changing your tune. There's no room for bias here, this police state crap needs to stop, denial only makes it worse.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I have no problem with putting a stop to things that really are out of control, and a danger to our freedoms (heck look at my sig line), but this is not one of them. This stuff has been going on for as long as their have been law enforcement officers. You cannot take all their tools away and expect them to still safely get their job done, and in this instance its not excessive. They were hunting someone who had already shown that they had no problem with shooting an officer.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Yeah, and the source:
policestateusa...

They took a AP wire story and twisted it to their agenda.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

defcon5
reply to post by Wookiep

Yeah, and the source:
policestateusa...

They took a AP wire story and twisted it to their agenda.

I disagree that it was spun, what is there to spin? You already said they spun it to include "checkpoint" in their article which the original AP article actually says checkpoint in it. So you're wrong there..

And..

The description of the pic from the original AP article -

A California Highway Patrol officer and another emergency responder stop a vehicle at a checkpoint near the neighborhood where a federal immigration officer was shot and three local police officers were wounded during a violent confrontation with a suspect in the Sacramento suburb of Roseville on Friday, Oct. 25, 2013. (AP Photo/The Sacramento Bee, Randall Benton)

www.ktvu.com...

I think you're just digging to justify the pic and the cops. There is no excuse for this no matter how many cherries you wanna put on it.
edit on 28-10-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Lets look at the headlines from the REAL news agencies that aren't pushing a “police state agenda”...

“Suspect in violent Sacramento standoff surrenders” (ABCNews7)
“Samuel Nathan Duran, Suspect In Northern California Standoff Surrenders” (huffington Post)
“Background on Samuel Duran, suspect in Roseville law enforcement officer shootings” (ABCNews10)
“Timeline Of Samuel Nathan Duran Standoff After Alleged Roseville Shooting” (CBS13)

Etc...
Funny I cannot find anywhere else that anyone is complaining that police were "pushing guns in peoples faces" at a "checkpoint". This "news source", and I use that term loosely here, took one AP photo and twisted it into something to fit their agenda.

BTW...
The area cordoned off was 1 block...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join