It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knowledge is power, ancient society vs modern society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Something that I find cropping up frequently in modern times is some academics inability to understand the concept of secrets. They assume for whatever reason I will never understand that "if they didn't write about it then they didn't know it"

Why is this? In modern times you are encouraged to freely share your discovery's and the reward you get for that is a paper published in some journal recognizing you as the discover which might later be followed by being awarded a prize of some kind, or if you invent something being awarded a patent. This framework is totally modern and did not exist in the ancient world. In actual fact they would not have agreed with this system because they knew well the meaning of "knowledge is power".

Rather in those times you were encouraged not to seek personal recognition which they viewed as egotistical but rather to share your discovery's in confidence within your guild or fraternity. All members of such orders were sworn to secrecy by oath (much like the Freemasons today). The price for breaking this oath was that your life plus the person you revealed the knowledge to would be taken.

In India if a non Brahmin was found listening to the Vedas being chanted they would either cut his ears off or pour molten lead into them. If he was found reciting them his tong would be cut off and if he had learnt to understand their meaning we was executed, had he shared this knowledge with others they were executed also, this is simply how it was in the ancient world!

If therefore you seek the knowledge of the ancients then you must understand that it is only to be found amongst the guilds/orders within those society's and fully understand that they were secret society's with only the privileged being awarded membership either through displaying wisdom themselves or through birthright.

How much different would the world look today if the old system was kept? What you would have today would be the most inventive nations would be so far ahead of other nations that they would almost be considered as gods to less advanced nations.

And that is how it was in ancient times, the "gods" they are often talking about I believe are in fact nations/races who were hundreds of years more advanced then others on this planet.

In the bible there is the story of the sons of god (descendents of Cain) who illegally reveal knowledge to the daughters of man, Adam (Descendents of Seth) the result of this was abuse of this knowledge ending with the sons of god triggering the deluge to wipe out the uprising.

Based on this understanding the legends of Atlantis being an advanced civilization becomes more understandable, perhaps they had a society in which they did not openly share their wisdom with others?

Native American oral teachings actually confirm this, for they say the atlanteans whom they call the "Gaggans" were advanced and it was due to their policy of not shearing their teachings with other races.

One disadvantage of this intellectual system is that if those who posses this knowledge get wiped out or wipe themselves out all their knowledge goes with them and all that is left is people saying "how the hell did they do that"!

edit on 28-10-2013 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Knowledge IS power. It is also sorrow.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

You know what, it is interesting that you bring this up. For a long time what you said was the case - we had public libraries and universities and this goal of educating the population. This is a positive thing because it moves society in a better direction as a whole.

However, I don't think this is going to last. As you know, corporations are very interested in money and power. I think with the internet, they have realized that information itself has value. I have a set of encyclopedias I purchased at a yard sale for $10.00 a few years ago.

But I would not be surprised if they were made illegal within 10 years, and there was a book burning campaign in the U.S. as corporations have gotten onto the scent of how much information is worth.

They now see a library and know that they could be making at least 5-10 million dollars a year by monopolizing the information in that library, shutting it down, and forcing people to pay unethical fees for every book, or maybe even every chapter. And that is just for each library location.

----------

This is a very evil and unethical time period we are entering right now. I see what you are saying about information being power in the past, and I'm saying that mentality is going to return. It is because we made a lot of progress as a society since World War II, and as some see it, too much progress.

I think there is going to be a backlash (basically the New World Order card featuring Obama) of epic proportions and crimes against humanity that we have never seen happen before, all completely justified (as in falsely justified without any recourse for debate) because of the information blackout I mentioned on the horizon.

We already have a government, including the N.S.A., that is operating outside any kind of realm that is touchable by Democracy. With The Patriot Act, we have moved the courts into a realm untouchable by Democracy. It's going to be an absolute humanitarian disaster.
edit on 28amMon, 28 Oct 2013 11:51:17 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

LUXUS
Something that I find cropping up frequently in modern times is some academics inability to understand the concept of secrets. They assume for whatever reason I will never understand that "if they didn't write about it then they didn't know it" Why is this? In modern times you are encouraged to freely share your discovery's and the reward you get for that is a paper published in some journal recognizing you as the discover which might later be followed by being awarded a prize of some kind, or if you invent something being awarded a patent. This framework is totally modern and did not exist in the ancient world. In actual fact they would not have agreed with this system because they knew well the meaning of "knowledge is power". Rather in those times you were encouraged not to seek personal recognition which they viewed as egotistical but rather to share your discovery's in confidence within your guild or fraternity. All members of such orders were sworn to secrecy by oath (much like the Freemasons today). The price for breaking this oath was that your life plus the person you revealed the knowledge to would be taken. In India if a non Brahmin was found listening to the Vedas being chanted they would either cut his ears off or pour molten lead into them. If he was found reciting them his tong would be cut off and if he had learnt to understand their meaning we was executed, had he shared this knowledge with others they were executed also, this is simply how it was in the ancient world!

If therefore you seek the knowledge of the ancients then you must understand that it is only to be found amongst the guilds/orders within those society's and fully understand that they were secret society's with only the privileged being awarded membership either through displaying wisdom themselves or through birthright.

How much different would the world look today if the old system was kept? What you would have today would be the most inventive nations would be so far ahead of other nations that they would almost be considered as gods to less advanced nations.

And that is how it was in ancient times, the "gods" they are often talking about I believe are in fact nations/races who were hundreds of years more advanced then others on this planet.

In the bible there is the story of the sons of god (descendents of Cain) who illegally reveal knowledge to the daughters of man, Adam (Descendents of Seth) the result of this was abuse of this knowledge ending with the sons of god triggering the deluge to wipe out the uprising.

Based on this understanding the legends of Atlantis being an advanced civilization becomes more understandable, perhaps they had a society in which they did not openly share their wisdom with others?

Native American oral teachings actually confirm this, for they say the atlanteans whom they call the "Gaggans" were advanced and it was due to their policy of not shearing their teachings with other races.

One disadvantage of this intellectual system is that if those who posses this knowledge get wiped out or wipe themselves out all their knowledge goes with them and all that is left is people saying "how the hell did they do that"!

The unbderlined portion is something everyone inclduing sceptics can understand. The rest clap trap.

Why is that you have to bring in atlantean into every stuff you post.?

bering brutally frank, if you find gigantic mound of petrified or solidified horse crap in some place, would you automatically wonder...

the people had many horses, the people cared for cleaniness and collected all crap in one location- there was a semblance of organization etc....typical thoughts of a person in his full analytical faculties

OR

would you wonder...oh my these ATLANTEAN HORSES were dam huge to take such a big dump - so peopole riding these horses MUST BE GIANTS - typical thought process of woo woos.

Which thought process do you have??

I have seen your thought process in the Noah was a strange child post.
A=B. in my glasses B could look like C. And may be D could be like A too. So, B=C=D.
different material without any links between them get s linked by woo woo mythos in your posts.

Makes nice fiction read. sometimes headaches too.

Its so passe to be mainstream...right?

I aint trolling.
I am venting ,my anger at deliberate attempts at woo woo-ism!!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

We can see when this break in tradition happened in the west, it was with the birth of the royal society. In those times you had alchemists who were secretive, writing everything in cipher working side by side with a new breed of people called Scientists who encouraged the detailed recording of information and its free sharing.

Was it Jesus who said "do not cast pearls before swine" this in itself shows us that Jesus came from an age in which knowledge was not freely given to all but reserved for the few. These secret society's must have had massive power in the ancient world when you think about it.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Why cant people apply logical reasoning to analyze anything?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by coredrill

Let me see, so you disagree that these secret society's (usually headed by a priest cast having a temple as their university) were the intellectuals in the ancient world and that they were the guardians of whatever Scientific knowledge these people actually had. There were no university's in the ancient world, the closest you could get to that was the temples and the intellectuals who resided there.

If you want to learn their wisdom that is the only place you could secure it, certainly not among the common people most of who couldn't even read.

BTW I am a believer in Atlantis (the golden age), you got a problem with that?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Hillbilly123069
Knowledge IS power. It is also sorrow.

Nope knowledge only brings joy rather it is the lack of knowledge which brings sadness or its abuse!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Hmmm google is a corporation and have made 30 million e-books books available many for free. Gutenberg and others have digitalized many more........

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

And what google giveth, google can taketh away. Which will be a simple task once all the hard copy publishers are bust.

new topics

top topics

join