It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fundamental scientific illiteracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I ` discovered ` this vid while double checking something else :

and am stunned - literally , I cannot comprehend how anyone can be so scientifically illiterate

the obligatory summary :

a gentleman has built an attempted " overunity engine " using a motor to drive an alternator via a 2 stage reduction gearing system of drive belts , a flywheel and shreaves , he has diagnostic equipment connected to the motor and alternator - and genuinely seems surprised that motor load is higher than alternator output

and here is an unscaled representation of his " idea "

he ends his did with a request for help either explaining why it doesn't work or assistance to make it " work "

Y-tube comments are hilarious

the correct answer is so blindingly obvious that his vexation baffles me

so a ` poll ` of sorts :

do you understand why his basic premise is flawed ,or not ?

I would preffer that people don't post up the correct answer - but am hoping that the incorrect ones will amuse me

I will ` put the thread out of its misery ` in a couple of days

but for now - I want to see how prevelant such inability to grasp scientific fundamentals is

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I designed my first free energy machine when I was a kid. It was a picture of a racecar, with a propellor on the front. The propellor was turned by the wind of the moving racecar, and in turn drove the axle. I thought it was really brilliant.

Later as I was growing up I figured out why it can never work, from a friends dad that worked as an engineer, he had the laws of thermodynamics up on a wall. I really got it when I started to think about E=MC^2, the equation that ties matter to energy. Free energy equals free matter.

Once you see that, it makes a lot more sense. Can you build a 700 pound boat out of 100 pounds of material? No. There's no blueprint, however clever or complex it is that will turn 100 pounds of material into 700 pounds. All you can do it make the design so complex you fool yourself for a bit. Its the same with free energy. Once you see that though, its really useful. Its a law you can use to figure out what's actually going to happen with things, and it works. Give a lot of insight.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

What a great idea for a thread. I don't have much time right now, but just wanted to check in. I'll be back in a little while.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Too funny.
Of course, next week, or next month, we'll have more people talking about their own over unity 'projects'.

They always seem to stay as 'projects'. I wonder why?

Statistically, if it were really all that simple for the uneducated to simply "figure it out" in their garages, the market would be flooded with free energy and the whole planet would be facing a waste heat crisis.

I rather enjoy the example touched on by a previous poster; you can't get a 700 lbs whatever out of 100 lbs of material, no matter how you arrange it.

Sure, there's somewhat 'magical' fuel sources like uranium, and plutonium, but, that's not free energy.
Quite a bit of research is getting dumped into Thorium too, but, if the efforts of hundreds of millions of $ already expended haven't found solution, it's not likely anyone in their garage is going to find the magic Thorium solution.
Other 'magical' solutions like fusion, or ZPE have been or are being peeked at too, but, same as Thorium.

One could, of course, exploit wind, solar, and even hydroelectric power were they to invest in the equipment. These are tried and true solutions, though not exactly inexpensive.
For hydroelectric, one doesn't even need a river. There's pumped storage hydroelectric solutions.
Using Wind, Solar, and Hydro all in tandem could result in a relatively 'free energy' solution, but, all in all, the term 'free' would not apply to monetary expense in the equipment to complete such a project ... and then there's maintenance and upkeep.

When are the pyramid power people going to pitch in their wonderful miracle magic power source that we keep hearing about all the time?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Wow, that video was kind of sad. I felt bad for that guy. It kind of reminds me of the hydrogen powered car with a solar powered hydrolyser that I always dreamed of building before I finished my education and realized how impracticable it would be. At least I didn't go to all that expense and hard work that he did. And to be fair I didn't expect the car to be an "over unity" device, just cheaper to run than on gas.

I see educated people that buy into the over unity junk as well as ignorant people. A guy I work with is a devout believer in this stuff and you can't talk him out of it.

top topics

join