It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 senators: UN Arms Trade Treaty could harm Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
50 senators: UN Arms Trade Treaty could harm Israel

A bipartisan group of 50 senators have warned US President Barack Obama that they will not ratify the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty signed last month by Secretary of State John Kerry. The lawmakers, who comprise half of the Senate, signed on to a letter this week that expressed concern that ratifying the treaty could limit America’s ability to provide military aid to Israel.

The treaty prohibits a state from trading arms if “it has knowledge at the time of authorization that the arms or items would be used in the commission of genocide, crimes against humanity, grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions of 1949, attacks directed against civilian objects or civilians protected as such, or other war crimes as defined by international agreements to which it is a party.”

States are also required to assess whether recipients are likely to “commit or facilitate a serious violation” of international humanitarian or human rights law and whether the arms deal could “contribute to or undermine peace or security.” Those clauses – and the range of interpretations that they afford – are at the heart of the critique.

Now we see why our Senate is so upset over the UN gun treaty. It will stop these gun companies from providing weapons to Israel who is number one in the world when it comes to Human rights violations. Because if Israel wasn't doing these things then the treaty wouldn't be a problem would it? America handing billions to Israel to buy weapons when people in our own nation needs that money needs to come to a stop.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Good joke .. isreal has no regard for international law and doesnt follow it now .. as to those senators remove them from office and put them on trial for crimes against humanity along with the israelis for their crimes against humanity. They want to support israel let them hang with the israeli criminals.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Your news source is from the Times of Israel... It never occurred to you before posting this link that this article might be a tad biased? Somehow I highly doubt that the reason the 50 Senators signed that letter has little to do with Israel. But by all means carry on your hate fest for that country.
edit on 28-10-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

The treaty prohibits a state from trading arms if “it has knowledge at the time of authorization that the arms or items would be used in the commission of genocide, crimes against humanity...

and

States are also required to assess whether recipients are likely to “commit or facilitate a serious violation” of international humanitarian or human rights law and whether the arms deal could “contribute to or undermine peace or security.”

Directly applies to the US and its policy in regards to supplying Israel with arms and weapons.

commission of genocide, crimes against humanity, grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions of 1949, attacks directed against civilian objects or civilians protected as such, or other war crimes as defined by international agreements to which it is a party.”

Israel is guilty of all the above so you can bet those senators are opposed to the ratification and most likely receive some sort of compensation form Israel to keep the gravy train flowing.

Ratify it and stop sending money and weapons to Israel and see how fast they decide to be more peaceful with the neighbors.

Now if those 50 senators love Israel so much, why not move there and help them there.
edit on 10/28/2013 by pstrron because: add a little

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

edit on 28-10-2013 by ZakOlongapo because: wrong post

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

Your news source is from the Times of Israel... It never occurred to you before posting this link that this article might be a tad biased? Somehow I highly doubt that the reason the 50 Senators signed that letter has little to do with Israel. But by all means carry on your hate fest for that country.
edit on 28-10-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

No there is no tad biased the UN has passed one resolution after another condemning Israel for Human Rights violations. When it comes to Israel the American government is like you. Willing to put on blinders to the crimes that Israel commits.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
My attitude about Israel is evolving over time...Not the nation and people, but the regime that leads them. They don't need sympathy at this point, they need saved from themselves before they wreck themselves by world intervention even they cannot hope to resist in any physical sense. I'd love it to never go that far....but the recent talk of war war war ...and FIRST STRIKE war at that, coming from Tel Aviv and Jerusalem is ....chilling.

So.. With that logic? If the UN Small Arms Treaty might motivate them to NOT be in material violation of what legally makes up those terms? So be it....and good for all involved. It doesn't rob them of ability to defend or act ..but it does bring them under SOME controls beyond Netanyahu's own sense of what HE thinks is right ....which is coming to look real dark from where I sit.

..besides, AK-47's are easier to get in parts of Africa than a bag of food. Cheaper, too, depending on where one looks. A Chinese AK- production model in the Congo runs about $100 U.S. by a recent documentary filmed there regarding the flood of cheap weapons across the land. Something needs done about that ...
edit on 28-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Who Cares..Poor Israel..always the victim

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Eh? You read me wrong there buddy. I never claimed to be a fan of Israel. I don't like that country at all. Their constant warmongering and lobbying our country to do so is tiresome. However, just because I don't like the country doesn't mean I will fall for an obviously biased news source.

top topics

join