It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Teen Wears Blackface - Trayvon Martin Halloween Costume

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I doubt it was based in racism at all honestly. My guess would be college kids who are trying to be as shocking as possible.

This isn't a jab at you, but I hate that this kind of stuff even gets talked about or shown in the media. It's happened a million times before and will happen a million times more. It's a non story.

I had a friend dress up as a columbine victim for highschool halloween costume day.

No doubt these kids are dumb, but I doubt they are actually racists. I think that word is thrown around a little carelessly these days. I was called a racist the other day by a guy who supported North Korea. I was racist against Koreans for what I said regarding the oppression of North Koreans (he thinks North Koreans are much happier and healthier than we are told by the media - i don't doubt our media is full of propaganda, but I doubt they are better off than their brothers in the south).
edit on 28-10-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This is site can be quite disgusting at times. One guess all those that don't find it offensive are right wingers.

How can you not see this as racist..if he had painted his face dark brown..then maybe ..but dark black...that is pure racism.

These most likely are the same people who get all uptight when someone burns or disrespects the American flag. You know the Idiots of the world.

Racism is alive and proud in America. Why is that..maybe because people, like some on here, ..simply turn away from the problem rather than address it or they are simply saying that it is just a n**ga who was killed so no big deal.

The only time in America that right wingers were behind a Latino..was when he murdered a black kid. I saw it all..they demonized the dead kid Well when it comes to the lesser of the two evils..they feel blacks are the worst..and see nothing wrong with mocking him, even in death..and see nothing wrong with black face..because right wingers motto..darks don't matter unless they deem themselves useful..aka George Zimmerman killing the badder (in their eyes) darkie.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Onslaught2996

Generalize much?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Blackface is racist (as well as some of those comments [operative word: some]), that really should go without saying. You would have to be an idiot to think that it isn't. That being said, this isn't an issue. Now, if there was a widespread phenomenon of costumes like this, then you could make that case, but otherwise it's just people doing something stupid on social media.

If you were to report every instance of racism on social media, you probably wouldn't see much of the stories that actually matter. These people are idiots, let's just leave it at that.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Onslaught2996

Oh you are so right. I change my mind, I am not vehemently offended. What should we do? Is there anyway we can make these young people's poor taste and attempt to shock keep them from living safely and securing jobs in the future. Let's really burn them for this.

I wouldn't say people who aren't offended aren't necessarily right wing, but rather people that don't have time to waste being offended over the stupid things young people do.

It's stupid and it's in poor taste.. what else is there to say? To do?
edit on 28-10-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Actually people like you are the problem because the kid that chose this as a costume to get attention and offend the countless bleeding hearts out there. It is so sad that people in America these days have no backbone and such thin skin that not only did this kid emotionally manipulate you, but you are also playing right into his hand by posting this so even more people will see it, giving him a way bigger stage than I'm sure he ever dreamed. You really took time out of your life to whine about something as stupid as this? Man, people these days really hate freedom of expression and speech if it happens to oppose their own ideals and try to demonize them because someone else might feel differently. Pick your battles man. This is so trivial its really unbelieveable someone would actually say they are ashamed to be white over it. I find the fact that people are so easily offended these days to be the most appalling thing and great evidence to show what a lack of REAL problems they have in life.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Ya that costume is all wrong, the guy with the neighborhood watch shirt looks to white and not enough Mexican...

ConMi27
Wow that is seriously disturbing.

I don't care which side anybody took in that case, thats super disrespectful to the families.

To soon then? so we should wait 23 yrs?

::EDIT::

reply to post by Galvatron

Y U NO Galvatron?

edit on 10/28/2013 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Oh my gawd, some of you certainly are pretentious, bleeding heart teacups, aren't you? "ZOMG, a costume punchline or likeness I don't approve of! Teh horrorz! Why won't anybody think of the children!"

Seriously, get over it. It's a costume holiday, and anything & anyone is up for grabs for inspiration or imitation. It's been exactly how long now? If someone wants to be Trayvon, let them be Trayvon. I've seen black Hitlers, black JFKs, a black Marilyn, a black Bonnie & Clyde, etc out on past Halloweens. Hell, one black guy even managed to pull off being Ghengis Khan once, and it rocked. Some used masks, some used actual whiteface. Not all that offensive, really. I don't see why it would be when you're plastering 10 tons of latex goop & make-up on your face for any other costume that differs from your skin tone anyway. Do those people need to grovel at your feel, too? Well, do they? If a white kid can't be Trayvon, a black guy surely can't be dead JFK in whiteface in good taste, can he?
What about all the people who slap together a Michael Jackson costume with a doll adhered to their crotch? Offensive? What about the priest costumes with the dolls on the crotch? Offensive? What about people going as Ancient Egyptians or Ancient Greeks even though their lineage isn't? Offensive?

There's 365 days in a year, and just a couple host parties for being someone or something you aren't for a few hours. If you can't handle the variety, even the ones in obvious poor taste or deliberate offensive, you just plunk down in that corner over there & rock back & forth a little. It'll be over soon enough.
edit on 10/28/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Maybe someone should make a law so we can all dress like this to only offend grey people..

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Ummmm so its no problem.for teens to dress up as.a murdered.teenager, with the case still being fresh on the mind of the parents whers your heart?? Also this question is for all the others who try to cover the asses of theses disrespectful idiots where is your heart you know that # is wrong, cut the bullcrap trying to defend your race, and just look at how this is just disrespectful to the Parents of this murdered.boy

edit on 28-10-2013 by Iamuniversalcreator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

THEY ARE DRESSING UP AS A MURDERED.TEEN, MAKING FUN OF A VERY CONTROVERSIAL CASE THAT A LOT OF AFRICAN AMERICANS AND OTHERS ARE STILL UPSET OVER OUT OF RESPECT, FOR THE PARENTS DAMN, THEY ARE IDIOTS AND IF THEY WERE IN MY HOOD THEY WOULD GET THE # BEAT OUT OF THEM!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

How the hell are you comparing dressing up as ghengis khan, and hitler, to dressing up.as a murdered youth, whos death was surrounded with a lot of controversy??? What the hell is your logic??? Arguing about a white person dressing up as a black person is not the issue, are you that oblivious to think people are mad about that?, its the FACT THAT THEY ARE DRESSING UP AS A MURDERED TEEN, AND THEY ARE PRETTY AWARE THAT THAT CASE WAS CONTROVERSIAL, AND A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE STILL HURT FROM IT, ITS TOTAL DISRESPECT TO HIS PARENTS IT HAS NOT EVEN BEEN A YEAR, THANK YOU IGNORANT PIECES OF # KIDS FOR CHEERING
HIS PARENTS UP, WHAT MAKES ME BOIL.EVEN MORE IS THAT PEOPLE TRY TO GET ON HERE argue for them knowing that it is wrong, I feel sorry that there are so many heartless cold blooded people in the world,.it sickens me

edit on 28-10-2013 by Iamuniversalcreator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
stupid and tastless maybee, kids today i think dont have alot of empathy in general, why i dont know for sure, the younger generation is growing up seemingly desensitized to violence and hatefull stuff..communication/media is a different thing today than when i was young..i dunno

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

A simple kids costume of a murdered teen, and the case ended with controversy, with the case still on his parents mind, and all.you heartless people that gave this a star still.dont understand the issue, maybe your blood is too.cold??

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamuniversalcreator

Funny, a lot of the posts over the previous pages were people saying it was wrong of whitey to be in blackface. So your issue is with imitating a murdered person? Of all the costumes I've seen that I listed, you conveniently ignored the guy who was dead JFK. Last time I checked, JFK was murdered, too. Well, assassinated if you want to get specific. So dressing up as dead JFK with bullet hole make-up should be just as offensive to you, I assume. Or is this just limited to people within a certain period of time, any earlier is ok? Going as dead Ron & Nicole, are they ok to dress up as? Or does someone have to be dead longer before it's acceptable?

Nobody has any cold hearts going on, it's not like someone's making an ongoing racist webshow parody of it, or living in the get-up every single day, week after week. Cut the guy some slack already. People would have been none-the-wiser if someone hadn't flapped their hands over it in the first place & created the media hype.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Why is everyone so upset? This problem solves itself.
Let's hope it circulates, it will work itself out. Trust me.
Happy Halloween dude.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
People still dress up as OJ Simpson every year for Halloween. I don't see a difference.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I guess the old pregnant nun is out of the question in this era now. I wish people wouldn't take every single thing personal like it's the end of the world. I'm sure everyone will label them with the rest of white people and condemn them all. Then someone else will do something funny and stupid to find he has condemned his race.

PS: I am sure when they hit the party that someone or ten will tell them that it was a little too soon. I want to see that passion on problems that really matter. There are many you know.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Iamuniversalcreator
reply to post by g146541

A simple kids costume of a murdered teen, and the case ended with controversy, with the case still on his parents mind, and all.you heartless people that gave this a star still.dont understand the issue, maybe your blood is too.cold??

Maybe my blood does run cold, I am a product of my own environment.
The only thing that truly matters to me is me and mine.
Note: anyone can belong to the mine category, I do not discriminate as I have many from all races under that umbrella.
The pic in the OP is simply a costume, but someone wants to call race war over it, that is the dangerous part here.
Divide and conquer, someone is scared methinks.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

Thats cause it was white people who were killed, nobody can care less about those people..

See apparently this thing called race only works when it is someone who isnt white..

So apparently screw the 2 who where killed by OJ(yaya he didnt do it bla bla..)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join