It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Teen Wears Blackface - Trayvon Martin Halloween Costume

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Really??? I suppose I shouldn't be shocked... I just can't believe anybody would find this funny and be proud enough of that fact to then post their face all over the internet looking pleased with themselves.

I know we have the "Right" to do this kind of thing but that doesn't mean we have to. There is something wrong in our society where we still find this kind of thing funny.

I can really only shake my head. This makes me ashamed to be white at this moment in time if this is based purely on racism as the article insinuates. We are still divided and that is why we are where we are right now.

What in the world makes people think this is funny or even ok?

What are your thoughts? Should this be a racial issue? A moral issue? Both or neither?

For those who initially jumped to defend these partiers as “not racist” and "just kids," I’m sorry to break it to you, but thanks to some sleuthing from The Smoking Gun, we can indeed confirm that all three are morons and at least one is an unapologetic racist.

Here’s what we know about these young adults "just being kids." On the left, dressed in blackface and a hoodie, is William Filene, 25, of Cape Coral, Florida. Since misfortune and crime are hilarious, laugh away: he was arrested in June for felony auto theft. His rap sheet also includes “collars for loitering / prowling” and failure to register an automobile. He took a plea deal for the auto theft charge in August and was sentenced to 18 months on probation.

In the middle is Caitlin Cimeno, a Martha’s Vineyard native. It's her photo post on Facebook that’s being heavily circulated and, it turns out, being racist online is nothing new for her. It's just Caitlin being Caitlin, y'all! According to The Smoking Gun:

In Facebook posts last year, Cimeno referred to elderly women who wore tight pants and tube tops as “tacos,” and, when requesting that a friend contact her, she wrote, “Text me niggs.” In August, Cimeno also posted a photo of an African American girl wearing a t-shirt reading “Black Girls Rock.” In her accompanying caption, Cimeno wrote, “First of all, sorry Hun but mommy lied to you & secondly if I was wearing a shirt that said something like the truth 'white girls rock' I would be stared at and called a racist cracker.”

Finally, on the right (dressed as George Zimmerman lol) is Greg Cimeno, 22, of Cape Coral, Florida. He works for a carpentry firm and enjoys humor in his spare time. When Caitlin posted the original picture to her Facebook page, he responded “anything for a laugh!” Someone else jumped in and deemed the photo “not too funny.” “Not too funny,” Greg replied. “Not too funny. It’s #ing hilarious!!!”

gawker.com...

newsone.com...

edit on 10/28/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

+38 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Neither, it's funny. It's a Halloween costume.

I've seen people dress up as Tupac and B.I.G, What's the difference?
People seem to go out of their way to get offended these days.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Well, that there is a racial issue.

All I want to say is these people are idiots.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

It's not that it's right or wrong...and I'm bi racial. I also don't think it's a racial thing (although it makes my stomach turn). I think some kid thought it entertaining...unless I'm that naive.

I do however believe...and I'm speaking as a parent, that we should instill more tolerance and compassion in our children. My son has blue eyes and black hair (his father is also bi racial) and if he attempted to leave home dressed as such for Halloween, I would stop him and ask him what is he thinking? Based on his answer, he may or may not leave for the evening.

The only people this truly hurts are Treyvonn Martins parents. I'm not saying its okay, but I'm sure they expected this...and this kid isn't the only one.

I'm sure it's just for fun...I hope so anyway.

ETA
When I looked at the photo again in its entirety with the neighborhood watch thing...it's bad taste but.....

ETAA
If that were my son....I would kick his ass!!! I just really noticed the entire picture...not cool IMO!
edit on 10/28/13 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Personally, that they're mocking a dead kid is what makes me sick.

Disrespectful to thjose who did love the kid. Disrespectful to his family.

That's about where I'd smack them for being scumbags... don't really care what race or what motive there is to do it, if that were a relative of mine they were mocking I'd be after one of them, and their smug arrogant grinning skulls.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
This makes me ashamed to be white at this moment in time.

Ease up a bit. Being ashamed of an entire race just because it contains a few idiots is racist.

As for the idiots in the photo... pretty tasteless. Not the most offensive costume I've ever seen, but it would rank pretty high for many. I'm guessing they didn't go out in public much that night, or just hit a few small/pvt parties. Certainly doesn't seem like a very safe costume to be wearing when that case was such a media spun hot-button issue.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

watchitburn

People do go as both of those. How many go displaying the full murder scene of them?

reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

It takes a minute for it to sink in doesn't it. I don't know if they did it with racist motives or not but it goes far beyond bad taste IMO. I can only imagine what his parents would think if they saw this picture. At the very least, they seem to be mocking the death of another human being.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   

One finds folks of every race,color,religion or creed or tribe that loves being controversial/stirring the pot/finding inappropriate things funny.The more people react,the more these folks enjoy the rise they get.
Some black or colored kid may dress up as a Klansman at Halloween,to be controversial,see the reaction,or be racist-or just genuinely find it funny,as a dig-back.

Everyone seems to want their 15 minutes too,especially the younger ones.
If enough folks are determined to live in peace on a multi-racial,ethnically diverse planet like this one,the silliness or dumbassery of the minority will not make a huge impact,but seen for what it is-dumbassery or ignorance or a desire to cause trouble-and just glance at it briefly,while all sides move on+concentrate on living in peace.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I absolutely agree. I think that is what shocked me most as well. Grinning from ear to ear while doing it just blows my mind.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

It does'nt surprise me in the least,sad to say-idiots who were propably raised by idiots never think of the consequences of their actions-or care for the hurt it may cause.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

watchitburn

People do go as both of those. How many go displaying the full murder scene of them?

reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

It takes a minute for it to sink in doesn't it. I don't know if they did it with racist motives or not but it goes far beyond bad taste IMO. I can only imagine what his parents would think if they saw this picture. At the very least, they seem to be mocking the death of another human being.

No doubt they are making a mockery of the shameless (IMO) death of another human being. However, you should not ever feel ashamed to be white simply because something like this happens. Listen, they're all types of people walking this earth in all shades and at no point should you be ashamed by what another white skinned individual does or any shade of color because people are gonna do what they do...no matter how distasteful or rude!

You are you and them are they. That's where it starts and ends. However, we all know that no matter the skin color, folks do what they do and for many of us, it's sometimes rather disgusting...right? You didn't do it, so don't take the heat for what one person does.

What you did do in all fairness, was express your disgust...and that's enough. Enough to maybe make others see how disgusting you find this "whatever display" to be. For that I commend you and maybe you could start serious change, but take that weight off your shoulder.

Don't carry such a burden...it's not necessary
edit on 10/28/13 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

I just wanna thank you and ask if I can use that word "dumbassery"? That is hilarious. I'll even trade a word with you....prossibly.

Didn't intend to divert the thread....sorry, I just couldn't pass that up. The Comedy Channel is in my hands with that word....that word "dumbassery" could make a one minute skit

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
"Hate" for lack of a better word,,,is Good

dont forget too take your fluoride

edit on 28-10-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Half hearted attempt at shock jock humor aimed specifically at interwebz in vain attempt of gaining fame in an otherwise vapid life?

All three adults participating should be ready for the adult consequences that will follow including internet villification (names and personal details out there forever), hacking of all their accounts, no companies willing to employ them, strange looks from other parents when they drop their kids off at school and the constant threat of some other internet nutter who took offense and is waiting for them down every dark alleyway.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Wow that is seriously disturbing.

I don't care which side anybody took in that case, thats super disrespectful to the families.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jukiodone

I'd say you nailed it. Hardly seems worthwhile for such poorly done "costumes". A lot of people took offense to the OJ and Nicole costumed couple I saw years and years ago. Just as tasteless at the time, but with that one they pulled out some serious makeup effects to make the "Nicole" quite graphic. These guys here just look haphazard and shoddy by comparison.
edit on 10/28/13 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

watchitburn

Too Soon™

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Why are people such insensitive morons?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

AngryCymraeg

Why are people such insensitive morons?

Good question. When you find the answer, let me know.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Agreed!!!!
I just saw a guy dressed up the other night, and get this.. He was dressed as Custer!!! Arrows sticking out and all...
Can you believe that? isn't it a bit soon?
/sarcasm
Cmon lighten up abit, Halloween is the biggest holiday in the world.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join