It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melting Starfish and Odd Orca Behavior in Pacific Ocean

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
“Like they’re melting… a lot of melting sea stars out there” says Seattle biologist — Veterinarian: It’s concerning, in under a week roughly 60% of species are sick or dying — “Same thing happening near Canada and nobody’s sure why”

Source

King5 News

No where in either report does the possibility of a connection to Fukushima radiation leakage get mentioned.

Then we have the whales.

Head researcher “is sounding the alarm” over striking changes in killer whales off Canada and Alaska since 2011 — “Unusually high mortality rate” and “odd behavior” — “Experts fear something’s wrong with the environment”

Source

That link will take you to a collection of stories from Vancouver Sun, KOMO, CBC, CTV,

A Vancouver Aquarium whale researcher is sounding the alarm over what he calls “puzzling” changes observed in the resident killer whale pods that live off the northern coast of B.C. and Alaska. [...] “the changes we’ve seen over the last two years are striking and beg an explanation,” says [Dr. Lance] Barrett-Lennard.

So two completely unrelated species in the same area are having never before seen health problems and are severe enough to threaten their existence. I'm of the opinion that the Pacific ocean is going to be a wasteland in the not to distant future. Russia has already banned seafood from Japan.

There are other reports of seals with what appears to be radiation burns on their skin and Polar Bears showing signs of large hair loss. Nothing is being done about it.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

There are other reports of seals with what appears to be radiation burns on their skin and Polar Bears showing signs of large hair loss. Nothing is being done about it.

Assuming you are right that it radiation sickness, what do you think can be done about it?

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
"....Nothing is being done about it."

What do you suggest! Seriously, think about it!
Nothing is begin done about it because nothing CAN be done about it.

edit on 28-10-2013 by alien because: (no reason given)

link   

Phage
reply to post by Carreau

Assuming you are right that it radiation sickness, what do you think can be done about it?

I hope that somebody has an answer for that question.

+25 more 
link   
reply to post by Phage

Tepco is still continuing to release contaminated water back into the ocean. Maybe they should stop making an already bad situation worse. Through all those articles I linked, not one is even mentioning Fukushima.

No reports of active studies being done, no current reports on any major news source. Out of sight out of mind.

edit on 27-10-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

So sad op!!!

From your link, I also read this....

So far it's only impacting the sunflower species of sea star, but biologists say there is a delicate balance in these waters and when one species is hurting, it threatens to impact the entire ecosystem

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Considering this is only happening around Elliott Bay and off the coast of Canada, I do not think it's related to Fukishima. If it is radiation sickness, wouldn't the sea stars be melting in other Puget Sound waters? Especially near Olympia or Tacoma, where the water tends to stagnate due to geography and pollution.

I'm thinking it's a pollutant being dumped in the water.

Edit: I also want to add, after watching the King 5 video twice, that the woman handling the bag of melting stars in the lab said that they went from a healthy population to a sick population in under a week. This tells me that something new has been added into those waters.

I'm just not sure what it could be.
edit on 27-10-2013 by collietta because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Carreau

Nothing. That is the sad and sober reality of radioactive contamination. We do not possess anything that could even remotely impact in a positive way the sea life that has been affected off the coast of Japan. That is If you believe it has been affected.

Hard to argue though, we do know that millions of gallons of highly contaminated radioactive water is being swept into the ocean daily from Fukushima and has been for months and while it is too soon to state as fact that life is being contaminated, it really doesn't take a leap of faith to assume it is.

What can be done about it? The only thing that can be done is already happening......... Don't talk about it or bring it to light in the mainstream media. Nothing else can be done at this point. Time is the only remedy for radioactive decay.
edit on 27-10-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Has this ever happened to the starfish population prior to the Japanese incident and have whales ever exhibited unorthodox behavior before.

If either of those had then it would likely throw out your theory that its caused by what happened in Japan.

Best to get all the evidence gathered before you begin assuming.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

To answer your question, no this has never happened before.

Experts fear something’s wrong with the environment off BC’s coast. [...] “In the last couple of years, we’ve noticed the fish eating killer whales off our coast are very, very quiet. It’s a striking change.” [said Dr. Lance Barrett-Lennard.] [...] too many matriarchs are dying and more research is needed because something is likely wrong with the ocean environment. The Orca Relief Citizens’ Alliance goes even further saying a loss of reproductive whales could lead to these Orcas becoming extinct.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Through all those articles I linked, not one is even mentioning Fukushima.

Maybe that's because the symptoms don't resemble radiation poisoning.
Maybe that's because high levels of radioactive material have not been found.
edit on 10/27/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Well if you've established a change in their behavior as authentic then what leads you to believe it has anything to do with radiation and not some other event?

Killer whales were on the endangered species list long before the Japan meltdown and have you looked to see if those causes are still prevalent?

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is trying to confirm reports from an independent biologist that herring around northern Vancouver Island have a disease that is causing bleeding from their gills, bellies and eyeballs.

An estimated 300 tonnes of contaminated water is spilling daily into the ocean from Fukushima.

According to Tepco, a total of somewhere between 20 trillion and 40 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium have gotten into the Pacific Ocean since the Fukushima disaster first began.

Arnie Gundersen, former nuclear industry executive and now chief engineer at the Fairewinds organisation: The net effect is the Pacific near Japan, and likely the whole Pacific, over the next 5 years will have cesium levels 5 to 10 times higher than what they were at the peak of bomb testing. So this is the biggest release of radiation to a body of water in the history of the world, much worse than Chernobyl. So the net effect is we’ve contaminated the biggest body of water on the planet

Those are some of the reasons that the problems could be related to Fukushima and at the very least deserve to be studied. The problem with the whales did not appear until AFTER the Fukushima incident. And Scientist who study them said in the reports that they have no answer.

Did you even read or are you just hear to bicker? I have listed why I believe this, now what is your evidence that it isn't. Give us some of your possible explanations.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

The most compelling reason in my mind that there is radioactive contamination in our environment is the complete blackout about this in the mainstream media. If there wasn't any why don't they place detectors on roadsides with big led signs displaying current background levels? Cameras are everywhere, but not one detector. How about in stores in the produce isle nest to the scale? We could pass that lettuce or gallon of milk over it just for sanities sake…

Media outlets could have info bits where they tell us the current hot spots and what to avoid, how to purchase a detector, cleanse our system with the right vitamins, whatever.

Nix, nadda, blackout…

Theres you sign

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Carreau

Through all those articles I linked, not one is even mentioning Fukushima.

Maybe that's because the symptoms don't resemble radiation poisoning.

From the other thread here " the ocean is broken.

"We hardly saw any living things. We saw one whale, sort of rolling helplessly on the surface with what looked like a big tumour on its head. It was pretty sickening.

That is a symptom.
Maybe that's because high levels of radioactive material have not been found.
edit on 10/27/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Maybe it has.

Japan's radiation found in California bluefin tuna

Link

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Carreau
So this is the biggest release of radiation to a body of water in the history of the world, much worse than Chernobyl.

Straight up fact: Fuku is already 100 times worse than Chernobyl.

Carreau
So the net effect is we’ve contaminated the biggest body of water on the planet

A little fix: Fuku 'continues' to contaminate ... and ... it's affecting the entirety of the world's oceans (they're all connected).

What needs to be considered are the 2d and 3d order effects of low level irradiation of the seas. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What's getting stronger?
edit on 27102013 by Snarl because: Autocorrect

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Here's the thing - what this article is describing is highly localized. The starfish aren't going to be exposed to stuff from all over the sea unless it's all over the place. Ergo, the starfish would be melting all over and not just in that one little area because if the radiation was what was doing it, then the radiation would have to be all over doing it to starfish all over and not just the ones in that little area.

Orcas, believe it or not, are also fairly local. They stay in one place and develop highly individualized strategies/cultures and even whistle/click languages that are passed down through the generations to teach the young how to survive specifically in that area. There are even some major "linguistic" differences between coastal whale pods in that area and those that live further out to sea. They hunt differently, eat different things, etc. That's how localized killer whales can be.

So, this could be a very local problem. Do you have any evidence to suggest that these problems are extended to starfish and killer whales beyond this one area? Are there problems in the Arctic, around the southern coast of Alaska? If my understanding of the ocean flow is correct, we would have seen the contaminated water there first since it looks like the surface flow is north out of Japan and then along the coast and north across to Alaska and down south along the West.

So, are there any reports of strange happenings with the sea life in any of those areas? Because if this were due to radioactive water, I would think the sea life there would be showing some strange behavior.

Also radiation hits the very young and developing hardest, not the oldest, most established organisms in the population.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Carreau

Well lets begin. Take out the tech, the very same tech that makes TR3B's fly without fuel and we had 2 very low ones fly over our roof, kids called me out for one of them.

Now, of the things scientists write articles on, that get posted, then forgotten:

Bacteria that eats radiation and pollution. That would be nifty. Starve itself out when gone too!

Reverse SINE. Not only for neutralizing the radiation, but for cooling the cores and rods.

Aquaponic greenhouses constructed all over the place, after all 3 acres produced 1 million pounds of produce and 10 000 fish, feed alot. No need to simply rape the oceans.

They need to be cleaned up and that includes no more oil. But then we don't need OIL.

Little pistol shrimp that snaps its claw shut and the pistol shot hz, goes through the bubble its claw formed and the temperatures reach the sun's corona. I would call that cold fusion, caviation and over unity, as the hz does not equal sun's corona in energy.

Think there is a hell of alot that can be done with radiation, IF THEY WANTED TO.

I assume there are solutioins to the methane releases, but on that I'm not sure.

They could purify earth, in about 1 year I think.

edit on 27-10-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Carreau

as far as "what can be done about it", i'd be satisfied if the bastards would just ADMIT IT. that's a good starting point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join