It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackfish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Am I the only person that watched " Blackfish" on CNN ? When are we going to quit using intelligent animals for our amusement ?
This has got to stop...

My Heart Aches...

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The sea animals are getting mad at humans...

It will only stop when money doesn't exist!

As long as money exists we will all be looked at as animals!!
edit on 27-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: phrase fix

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by witchof43

We haven't even stopped exploiting people. What makes you think animals will be before that?

The only time that this will stop is when there are no more humans on the planet.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Tell mosquito's to quit biting me and I might be more apt to listen.

And why is that when a fly gets in my house it seems his only goal is to land on me. I mean, he has an entire house to do whatever he wants yet he must, MUST hover around me while I am watching television?

Why does this exist?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Is this what you are talking about?? I just guessed since there wasn't a link.

I didn't see it, but after watching the trailer, I wish I had. I guess I will have to look around to find it.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
It is bittersweet to think that humans can be so immensely compassionate and so horrendously vile at the same time.

I have such a deep respect for the worlds oceans and all the creatures therein.

These animals are not domesticated, and trying to do so is disgusting.

Attraction parks and zoos like this make me sick to my stomach. And it seems they capitalize on the fact that young people don't know that it's wrong.

I mean have you looked into the eyes of a gorilla that's behind glass? One of the most depressing things ever.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by denybedoomed

How exactly do you know they are depressed. If you figure the fact that animals spend the majority of their time either sleeping or looking for food, and have all this given to them in captivity, why do you assume they do not like it.

Animals work on instinct, basically their only goal is to eat and reproduce...that's it....period....they don't have any necessity to take long walks in the park. Sure animals socialize but its not a need and how much of that is actually required for survival has not been determined.

For all you know, these animals are quite content to have their basic needs covered. Its important to remember that they do not have the same needs as humans.

There is also a difference in species. I'm sure that apes have a bigger captivity problem, or do they, than a whale does. Basically its just a guess.

Nobody knows until there is a way to communicate the needs of animals to humans.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

These are very social animals. Just watch it, and you will get it. I am no PETA freak. Just watch.

Give it a shot with an open mind. Do you really believe that only humans have emotions?

Try it. Otherwise, just take care.....

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by defuntion

Of course some animals have emotions but do those emotions override the natural instincts that animals also have?

Nobody knows.

We know that humans often allow emotions to override their desire to live and even in some animal species such as elephants, emotions have dictated unnatural responses.

Does this mean that they dislike captivity however? Does it depend on what type of captivity it is? Are orca's really unhappy when they get plenty of food and socialization, not only with others of their species but also with the plethora of trainers around them and guests who visit them?

Maybe they were unhappy swimming in the dark ocean all the time and being hungry while looking for that sick sea lion to catch. How do we know.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Spocks wisdom can teach the past:

Spock
But they are not the hell your whales!!

Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home (4/10) Movie CLIP - Swimming with the Whales (1986) HD
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoS1eAVNXWU
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

That was seriously the dumbest thing ever in the entire Star Trek universe. That movie should have every piece of it removed from existence never to be spoken of again.

When children ask what happened to the #4 Star Trek movie we will just say that we numbered them wrong.

Ooooops

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

As long as money exists we will all be looked at as animals!!

I see no reason to insult animals like this.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

I meant it made me depressed.

I'm sure that animals in captivity just LOVE that environment.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I hate to say it but it might not be too long before the only sea life in existence IS in captivity.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Just wanted to note, for those like me that really want to see this, it comes out on DVD tomorrow. From everything I've read about it, you'll probably need to have tissue in hand. I've heard it is hard to watch, but that everyone needs to.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I love animals and almost chose oceanography as my undergrad major. I am no PETA freak either, but to keep an animal in captivity like this is cruel imho. The new zoos are all about making it seem the animals are in their natural habitat. You cannot do that for an Orca. I agree it's about money plain and simple.

I will be watching this movie with tissue in hand.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by witchof43

Here is a better orca / human interaction.
We don't all suck.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It's a double edged sword, IMO.

How did most of you learn about and initially begin to cultivate your respect for these creatures?

I'll take a stab at it - Shamu.

While I don't necessarily like the idea of them, most people get their first contact with these creatures through parks and shows. They don't get it through docs like Blackfish. You don't learn to care about anything unless it has a value of some sort to you, and that is precisely what places like SeaWorld do - they create that value for sea life that most people otherwise wouldn't have, and through that early wonder and awe, you hopefully go on to get a need to conserve in the wild what you value so much at SeaWorld.

I only hope that someday our ability to build habitats can match the needs of captive orcas in a much better manner so that we don't need to feel that they are paying such a price to be ambassadors for their species, and sea life in general, to the human race.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Spookybelle
Tell mosquito's to quit biting me and I might be more apt to listen.

And why is that when a fly gets in my house it seems his only goal is to land on me. I mean, he has an entire house to do whatever he wants yet he must, MUST hover around me while I am watching television?

Why does this exist?

Its your sweet nectar! ;P

top topics

join