It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misandry - Men don't exist, unless they do something bad!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Misandry is the hatred of men.
I suppose that would include all forms of discrimination, oppression and the indifference of suffering towards those with male bodies.

Unlike "misogyny" (the hatred of females), "misandry" doesn't even appear in the dictionary of this spell-checker.
It will be marked as a spelling error!

What really upset me this year was the amount of boy-children and young men who died, or were mutilated for life from botched tribal circumcisions (at least 30 to several hundred) this year alone in South Africa.
www.telegraph.co.uk...
I believe a similar butchery of women and girls would have prompted mass action from global gender activists, and even possible UN intervention.
Those cultures don't just consist of men.
Either gender could speak out and stop those abuses.
Yet, mothers also send their sons to those initiation schools, just like mothers once sent their sons to die for Queen and Country.
The same is also true of male rape in war zones or prisons (although there's a thread on that already, which is quite troubling in parts, especially in how it views the rape of men as somewhat of a joke).

This clip is just on Western culture.

It shows quite clearly that when it comes to perpetrators the term "man" is always highlighted.
There are "gunmen" and "conmen" and "manhunts", for example.

However, when it comes to men as victims, or men doing good good and heroic things, the terms are always gender-neutral.
Suddenly the "men" don't exist (even if the affected are all men), and tragedies affect occupations, like "soldiers", or "miners" or even "assets".

I'm not going to blame "feminism" as the clip does in parts.
It's only part of the story of how a fight for equality has ended up with reverse discrimination.
Perhaps men have also been too proud to contest this discrimination (no wonder, considering their socialization), and a solid men's movement is sorely lacking.
I suppose men could contribute to their own oppression, just like women contributed to male chauvinism.
That doesn't negate the fact that there are true cases of sexism today.

Whatever the case, if people want gender neutral terms, then make them gender neutral for all!
Otherwise the media consists of a bunch of misandrist, sexist pigs!

So here's the clip to illustrate my post:

edit on 27-10-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Friend,

I think that a high percentage of the human race
might be inclined to agree with you, and have
agreed with you for some time.

The 'goddess' was always associated with the
Earth; now of course people did horrible things
and used non-sustainable practices, even when
the Mother was nearly universally worshipped.

But once the men figured out that they could
get a big 800 pound gorilla in their corner
to rape and pillage at will -- by creating
a male-centric religious system -- and making
woman the source of all evil, then the
destruction of the world's people's and
eco-systems commenced with a brisk pace.

For example I'm part Lakota Sioux Indian.
The European raiders came to America
with their 'manifest destiney' (permission
to kill, rape and plunder) and their
very convenient male deity who routinely
gave permission to genocide whole
civilizations (in the old Testament) --
and next thing you know all the
Indians are killed / rounded up / given
small-pox blankets / turned into alcoholics
and all the rest --- welcome to America!

I don't think a people who worshipped the
Divine feminine would have genocided a
proud and worthy people.

Jesus wouldn't have approved .. of
course almost nobody listens to him either.

KPB

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KellyPrettyBear

Those are some of the clearest and most accurate historical statements I have heard yet. Luckily, they happened in the past and hopefully it will pave way for a better future for everyone, even (and especially for) Native Americans. Native Americans have always been my favorite culture.

As for the O.P., I agree with him that feminism is not the main cause of misandry, we are talking more about the "Manifest Destiny" and "White Man God" being culprits, I think, especially if they are referred to as assets. In fact, in my experience with room-mates, parents, teachers, any men in power, I would venture to say that a lot of misandry is actually caused by men. Try having someone in charge of your living situation that doesn't know as much as you and punishes you for making good decisions that he doesn't understand, or a friend like that, or a business partner, or whatever.

In fact, religious society, that's another example of misandry being caused by men, any men who want to go out and explore the world and get accurate viewpoints and expand their horizons are ostracized by their society. If you think that's bad, try heading off to college and returning to your hometown, where you know for a fact that people are wrong about certain things, yet they try to gain control over you and force you to believe things that you know are wrong instead of listening and learning -
edit on 27pmSun, 27 Oct 2013 18:02:46 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

darkbake
reply to post by KellyPrettyBear

Those are some of the clearest and most accurate historical statements I have heard yet.

Why thank you!

I consider ALL types of 'big picture thinking' to be
important, not just the ones that are impossible
to prove to anyone, and make people think you
are nuts!

KPB

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
We tend to highlight and play on the things we fear.
However, please consider that it's probably with good reason and historical precedent ...

Statistically, who's committing all the crimes?
Statistically, who's perpetuating spousal abuse?
Statistically, who's fueling terrorism?

Statistically, who's the most oppressed sex since RECORDED HISTORY?
Statistically, which sex is most often treated like chattel (property), even where slavery is outlawed?
Statistically, which sex is most often abused and victimized by which sex?

edit on 10/27/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

What really upset me this year was the amount of boy-children and young men who died, or were mutilated for life from botched tribal circumcisions (at least 30 to several hundred) this year alone in South Africa.
I believe a similar butchery of women and girls would have prompted mass action from global gender activists, and even possible UN intervention.

A quick google of the terms 'anti male circumcision' and 'anti female circumcision' turned up a similar number of results, with males in the lead.

There are groups standing up for both genders when it comes to circumcision.

And, there is plenty of similar butchery going on in various places on innocent little girls.

Source on Female Gential Cutting
edit on 27-10-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

What really worries me is the rate at which women are treated like slaves and property, even in modern society, even in the United States, even today. Thankfully it has gone down so much since even the 90's - but I remember a time when I didn't even understand that girls were people just like me. Although I was in Middle School.

I still have no idea how that happened, because when I think back, my parents aren't sexist, it makes no sense how I picked up on that - unless it was socially prevalent.

Although these days, even though I can hold a conversation with either a girl or a guy and judge them on their character rather than their sex, maybe that's what changed? Maybe I realized something a lot of guys still haven't? I run into guys all the time who are sexist and think women don't deserve to be treated equally. A lot of them even think I'm crazy for hanging out with them as friends.

I think a lot of guys are afraid to open up and talk to girls because they are projecting, they are used to their guy friends putting them down or insulting them for power trip reasons, they don't realize girls aren't like that if they are normal.

Although guys do band together easier.
edit on 27pmSun, 27 Oct 2013 18:11:57 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
OK, I'm going to give a general response, because a lot of other politically sensitive issues have been raised, and of course people are welcome to discuss them.

Firsly there's the Goddess religions which were rife with bloody sacrifices, as they still are, for example in India.
If the original paganism (not neo-paganism) was that wonderful I guess it wouldn't have disappeared without massive uprisings.

Then one can bring up colonialism - I suppose female monarchs like Isabella, Elizabeth or Victoria had nothing to do with it? Yeah right.

Or pack your boy off to Vietnam.
Let his sister dream of a room of her own, while he has nightmares of a body-bag of his own.
And yes, those politics also created upper-class comfort for women.

Who commits the most crimes?
Well I know who's more likely to go to jail while the "Mob Wives" flaunt the proceeds of crime all over reality TV.
So there's no domestic abuse amongst lesbians?
It's only male on female violence?
I just read about a woman who almost ripped her baby's testicles off, and then tried to super-glue them back on.
newsfeed.time.com...
I suppose when a female teacher molests a boy-child that makes the headlines as a "shocking romance".

Who fuels terrorism?
According to clips on recent marches by Islamists in Britain it seems to be both men and very vocal women.
There are even reports of young women going on a "sexual Jihad" to encourage the males fighting in certain regions of the globe.

But let's leave this war of the sexes.

I'm also not saying we shouldn't mention crimes committed by men.

But, I think this clip has a point.
We also shouldn't write or speak men out of existence when they do something good.
If we do that, what role-models are boy-children left with?
All those negative things (once again mentioned) attributed to men will then become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I'm speaking about writing "men" out of discourse at the moment when they do anything good or heroic (a kind of verbicide) and that goes for all men, from Xhosas in South Africa to Lakota men in the US.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Misogyny; men wanting to have sex with women wrongly construed as hatred.

Misandry; women hating the fact that they can't help wanting to have sex with men.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

This whole argument and the weak supporting data for it is building on sand.

Additionally, one can't help but wonder the underlying psychology going on here as this premise reeks of a pseudo-misogyny possibly stemming from reactionary social artifacts like rejection, or suppressed unrealized psychosis underlying a guilt complex for immoral and abusive desires.

Sure, there've been some bad girls in history, but, rationally, they often walked in a world of men, and thus had to on often occasion, out-man the man at his own game, playing by his rules.
There are, of course, too, just some screwed up women in the world, but, it's a little hard to blame them considering the overwhelming historical and cultural precedents weighed against them.

Misandry? Blame it on the feminists? Really?

It sounds an awful lot like someone being overly dramatic and utterly incapacitated from a paper cut, trying to lay culpability or responsibility on the person gushing blood from their privates for a whole week out of the month on top of everything else they have to deal with.
It also sounds like begging for reward for doing something that was suppose to be done anyway, as if it required extra herculean effort to not rape that woman.

Is that what's going on here? Do these 'Misadry', um, victimized men want to get some kind of reward for not raping women?
"Hi, I'm Willy and I haven't raped any women today, not even one, so, I should at least get a donut or something?"

Really?

edit on 10/27/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

No, I never blamed misandry on feminism.
In fact, I said in my OP that I do not blame feminism quite clearly.

Actually the gender criticism of media here could very well be considered an off-shoot of feminism.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

1:31 - 1:35 of your video states:

Why does Misandry exist?
FEMINISM

Yes, "Feminism" in ALL CAPS.

If you're going to stand on a platform, make sure you know what it's built from.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Yeah I know, and that's why I wrote before the clip:

I'm not going to blame "feminism" as the clip does in parts.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Blame the power base, heterosexual white christian males. These are the ones with the overwhelmingly vast amount of power in our society, despite only accounting for about 6% of the population in general.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Blame them for what exactly?

It's not about blaming any people, simply creating awareness that men can also be stereotyped by the media.

If men find in their media that they are called "men" when they do wrong, then they can sure as heck call them "men" when they do something good or heroic too.

Is that really so radical?

How the media discourse came into existence is a whole different debate.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Vocabularies are based on men. Women don't exist in vocabularies, the etymology of words used to describe females just shows the historical property status of the female gender.

Let me give you some vocabulary examples:

History
Women(WO-MEN)
Woman(Wo-man)

The word woman started as wifman which translates into the wife of man. Every word used to describe females is as property of the man.

More words:

Humans
Female(FE-MALE)
Heroine(Hero-ine)

So when you analyze words like manhunt, mankind, etc. you will see that those words are not examples of misandry but rather examples of misogyny in the context of vocabularies and language.

Women do not have their own words, ever. Any word associated with a female is simply an add on to it's male counterpart.

edit on 28-10-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

A great post.

However I'd say words also have contexts.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

They do but again looking at words in the context of gender, women really don't have any terms all their own.

In the example of the word "gunmen" for instance, when there is a female that shoots someone they will simply say "female shooter". That label uses the word female(fe-male) and the gender-neutral word shooter. There is no female exclusive counterpart to "gunman". The same can be said of many words. Women are the property of men in the context of language.

Seaman
Gunmen
Gunman
Policemen(now police officer is used but it's still a gender neutral word, not a word specific only to women and separate from male dominance/connection)
Firemen

In the example of the word policewoman, the word woman(wo-man, wife of man) is still a part of the word.

So in the context of language women do not have independent words connected exclusively to their sex.

There are definitely negative words associated with men, but that is because all words are associated with men. There are also many positive words associated with men that are independent of the female sex.

However, no words for women exist that aren't associated with men(either positive or negative).

Here's a article that has the breakdown of the English language from a feminist analysis of some of the ideas I have posted:

plato.stanford.edu...

edit on 28-10-2013 by OrphanApology because: f

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
As to the white male thing, it's interesting how the world changes for you when your perceived ethnicity changes.

My husband if a very, very good example. He's adopted. He was raised by WASPS. He's about as pale as pale can be, but we know his ethnic heritage, and it's not WASP. He doesn't trade on his ethnic heritage because he knows he's not culturally raised to it.

So, he goes through life as a WASP most of the time. It is very interesting to see how attitudes and behaviors literally change, in a heart beat, when he does reveal what he really is. Sad even.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Forgive me if I point out I am a person and not a statistic.
It seems like everything about me counts against me under current real politik:
I'm: White, Male, Middle age, Conservative, Christian.
4 strikes.
I'm also an artist, environmentalist, activist, anarcho syndicalist and a supporter of a woman's right to choose.
But I look like a redneck.

It's as though the political correctness were conceived with the idea in mind that those who were primarily responsible for the problems of the world cannot possibly be a part of the solution and are therefore discounted. I can understand the anger in a historical context but I never rode with Custer nor forced my wife to be a domestic slave.
Politics is a dirty word in my book. It only uses people to serve it's own ends. The needs of the people are never truly addressed but simply used to install a new power elite.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join