It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dick Cheney Cancels Toronto trip, says Canada is Too Dangerous

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Natio nalPost

TORONTO — Former U.S. vice-president Dick Cheney has cancelled an April appearance in Toronto citing concerns Canada is too dangerous. “He felt that in Canada the risk of violent protest was simply too high,” said Ryan Ruppert, president of promotions company Spectre Live Corp., which had booked Mr. Cheney for an April 24 appearance at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. “They specifically referenced what happened in Vancouver,” Mr, Ruppert added. In September, Mr. Cheney was speaking at a private club in Vancouver when protesters massed outside the front door harassing ticket holders and in one instance, choking a security guard.

Ha! Had to laugh when i read this. If Canada is too Dangerous to visit, where does he think he is safe? Americans should make him feel equally unwanted in the US as well.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Connector

I could be wrong, but doesn't Canada have a warrant out for his arrest as a War Criminal???

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
They have to lock whole cities down when he visits...

edit on 27-10-2013 by AbleEndangered because: subtraction

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Every country in the World for this scumbag should be dangerous !

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

seeker1963

I could be wrong, but doesn't Canada have a warrant out for his arrest as a War Criminal???

There was an attempt to get him arrested him in Vancouver, but I don't think it had any legality to it. There is a few countries that will arrest him if he touches their soil. If I remember correctly there also was a push with interpol a few yrs back.

BTW this is an old story, but I had never seen it before.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You know, I was just thinking, that even though the Cheney policy in Iraq and Afghanistan has proven very devastating for almost everyone involved (although the contractors came away with many windfalls), do you think Cheney himself has the worldview that he was totally correct and that history will eventually honor him? That he doesn't really have a grasp on what the protests indicate about the worldview and viewpoints of other people who are looking at the same set of facts and reaching opposite conclusions? I have no idea, he may think that, and may even selectively see evidence that his view is correct, because, in fact, everything we think will happen sets the template of the "facts" we allow to shape our worldview. Some of the facts will fit his. But does he see the entire picture, that's a question I was just wondering about. I hope he does, and apologizes for some of the stuff he did, which would do him, his reputation, and international diplomacy a world of good.
edit on 27-10-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Cheney is OK here as long as Harper is in power. That said I guess he doesn't like protesters that he can't push into a "zone". Also:

Ticket holders can either bring in their tickets for a refund, or go to a replacement talk by author Mark Steyn.

Steyn? Canuck in name only. So rabidly conservative that MacClean's canned him.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Just a hunch... Warcrimes?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Aleister

You know, I was just thinking, that even though the Cheney policy in Iraq and Afghanistan has proven very devastating for almost everyone involved (although the contractors came away with many windfalls), do you think Cheney himself has the worldview that he was totally correct and that history will eventually honor him? That he doesn't really have a grasp on what the protests indicate about the worldview and viewpoints of other people who are looking at the same set of facts and reaching opposite conclusions? I have no idea, he may think that, and may even selectively see evidence that his view is correct, because, in fact, everything we think will happen sets the template of the "facts" we allow to shape our worldview. Some of the facts will fit his. But does he see the entire picture, that's a question I was just wondering about. I hope he does, and apologizes for some of the stuff he did, which would do him, his reputation, and international diplomacy a world of good.
edit on 27-10-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

It's hard to find anything more recent, but as of 2011 there's this from The Economist (newsmagazine):

Mr Cheney's only regret seems to be that not everyone in the Bush administration was always as farsighted and steadfast as he, and so balked at bombing Syria or adopting tougher stances with North Korea and Iran. Colin Powell, Mr Bush's first secretary of state, is portrayed as a sulking saboteur; Condoleezza Rice, his successor, as a bumbling appeaser. Even Mr Bush had his lapses in the vice-president's eyes: he decided to go along with twitchy lawyers in the Justice Department, for example, when they questioned the legality of a counter-terrorist eavesdropping scheme.

Mr Cheney's account, in short, makes it easy to see what went wrong. He was so focused on smiting bad guys that he lost track of everything else. By his own admission, he “had little patience” for constitutional niceties. He does not seem to have paid much attention to public opinion, either. The Republicans' crushing loss of both houses of Congress in the mid-term election of 2006, thanks in large part to war-weariness, crops up only in passing, as a possible impediment to the planned surge in Iraq. And the economy was definitely a secondary concern. Mr Cheney dedicates just nine pages of his book to the causes of the financial crisis and the government's response—only one page more than he does to the vexing question of whether America or Israel was best placed to bomb a suspected nuclear facility in Syria.
The Economist: Dick Cheney's Memoirs

You might as well expect Satan to change his act. I have no doubt that Cheney believes he'll be justified by history. On the other hand, as things stand at the moment, we don't really know who'll be writing that history. If he and his kind get their New World Order he may become a saint....

edit on 10/27/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
And we have WI-FI,,in our IGLOO'S,,,,,

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I had to laugh at this left wing post.

At a time when Putin would be a better American President than the moron the U.S. has now, the only rhetoric left is "it's Bush's fault" and when even that one wears out it's Cheney.

I'm curious. What "war crimes"? What mistakes? Was he president? Hello?

It doesn't even approach the area code of logic.

As far as "arresting" him in Vancouver....Canada doesn't have the guts!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

"Canuck in name only"?? There's a lot more "Canucks" like him than you seem to be aware of.

Let's try a "real" Canuck.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

nwtrucker
reply to post by intrepid

"Canuck in name only"?? There's a lot more "Canucks" like him than you seem to be aware of.

No there isn't. I know my country.

Let's try a "real" Canuck.

I'm one. Are you?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
i do believe Canada is still wondering why NORAD,, u know,,911,,umm ,,ya might be one or two questions,,
NORTH AMERICAN DEFENCE,,,so ummm ,,,see there was this standing, agreement,,well,,come on in we'll chat

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

BobAthome
And we have WI-FI,,in our IGLOO'S,,,,,

Ha ha. He had the wifi in his pacemaker turned off...

reply to post by Ex_CT2

the Cheney policy in Iraq and Afghanistan has proven very devastating for almost everyone involved

Maybe it's not the "Canadians" he's afraid of. How many Iraqi and Afghan families in Canada have lost loved ones due to Cheney's madness?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Bassago
Maybe it's not the "Canadians" he's afraid of. How many Iraqi and Afghan families in Canada have lost loved ones due to Cheney's madness?

Not really an issue. The RCMP may be many things but their security is second to none. Hell, when JP2 was here they asked for them to do all the security while he was here.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

"Cheney's madness,,"

really u think u would be under pressure if someone gave u a call and said "do exactly as i say,,or i turn off your pace maker!",,,,,ya so my question is,, WERE U under DURESS,, during 911?,,Mr Chainey?

not u Basango,,

literally,, do or die,, kind of thing?
a curious CANADIAN.
edit on 10/27/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
pfffhahaaha.... Oh ya, its pretty dangerous up here...

What with all the moose and black bears we have...

Or maybe he's just afraid of Toronto drivers... I know a few people who are...

Then again, perhaps he just can't handle the beer... I know its mighty strong for some americans LOL

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I find it ironic you quote an article and not Cheney himself and therefore it's valid?

The simple fact is the failure to hit Iran when the I.E.D.s used in Iraq had ample proof of Iranian origins led to many U.S. and CIVILIAN casualties.

Both Afghanistan and Iraq's failures were from the lack of political will to "educate" Pakistan and Iran into butting out, so to speak.

Of course, the democrat control of both houses in 2006 , as you say, ensured the result we have now. Staying the course Bush was restricted to even when the Dems had FULL control of the U.S. gov't....my contempt.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It's great that he decided to cancel.
We have enough political idiots in every party in Parliament now, we don't need another one.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join