It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Yak is back

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
A famous old identity looks set to continue after it has been announced that the rather anodyne sounding MC-21 airliner project will be rechristened as the Yak-242 when it enters production.

www.flightglobal.com...

The project actually began under this very designation many years ago before morphing into the MC-21

Despite initial problems the Sukhoi Superjet now seems to be operating ok, so the Russians hope this larger programme will see them emerge as serious rivals in the commercial sector.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I hate to say it but with their production issues, I'm not sure we'll see any large scale successful Russian commercial program.

One of the biggest problems is they're trying to fit into niche markets. The SuperJet is basically a new (not improved, just new) and smaller 737. Even the MC-21 is going to be similar to it.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Yes I've got my doubts too, the Russian track record in civil aircraft is not good by any stretch. They make the UK airliner industry look competent.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Oh good god yes. It's definitely not pretty to look at. And add to that, trying to slot into a market that's already at the breaking point, between Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier, etc., and you have a failure trying to happen.

new topics

top topics

join